Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Six or eight man football?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,483 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

Could there be a six or eight man division of football in the NCHSAA?  It could help schools with low roster numbers ...

#2 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:31 AM

Do not think there would be enough schools participating to allow for a decent schedule without insane travel.

#3 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

Very insane travel. If Mattamuskeet and andrews can field a team, everyone else can. If they can't get the boys to come out, hire someone who can.

#4 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

Wayne Rogers at Creswell gets a team together every year. With only 85 students and of those only 40 boys he makes it work. He has had seasons where they have finished with only 12-15 players ( and one year he won a 1st round playoff game with only 11 players) but he gets it done. If you can't get it done, then find someone who can or buy more soccer uniforms.

#5 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

Years ago.NCSD played in an eight man league, but I don't remember who they played. It seems like the only states that have much six or eight man play are out west (saw a field in Montana once that looked smaller than a regulation field that was for six or eight man play).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#6 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

Years ago.NCSD played in an eight man league, but I don't remember who they played. It seems like the only states that have much six or eight man play are out west (saw a field in Montana once that looked smaller than a regulation field that was for six or eight man play).

The Nc school for the deaf used to field a full team, and were nasty. They lined up, everyone looked at the ball, and when it was snapped, everyone went forward. They beat some good Harris teams in the state finals a few times.

#7 Asu6711

Asu6711

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:59 PM

Guys it's more than just hire someone that can get kids out. Whether you want to believe it or not high school football is starting to die a death that will be very slow in my opinion. The head injury issues have many parents encouraging their kids to play other sports such as soccer and while you don't believe it soccer is really starting to grow in America and will be on an international rate before it's all said and done. I love football as much as the next guy but it's time to realize this game we love may not he around forever.

#8 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:52 AM

The Nc school for the deaf used to field a full team, and were nasty. They lined up, everyone looked at the ball, and when it was snapped, everyone went forward. They beat some good Harris teams in the state finals a few times.

Yes, but then sometime around the mid 1990s when enrollment declined sharply it became more and more difficult for them to field a team. So, for a while they tried eight man and now I don't think they have a team at all. We have a fairly large deaf community here in Morganton and sporting events used to be big social gatherings for them. The school has fewer than 150 students now and that's K-12, so maybe 40 some in the high school. About half are girls and then some have other disabilities that limit physical activity so they only have a small number of boys to try and field a team.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#9 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:17 AM

Culture and distance within the county are also factors in low turnout. If a school has a tradition of low turnout and less than successful teams the numbers seem to stay low even when the school grows.

Mattamuskeet, Creswell and Columbia are prime examples of single schools in large counties, size wise. In Hyde County kids that lived in Scranton or out by Stumpy Point had to travel close to an hour just to get to school. Now imagine if the parents are poor, disabled or simply do not have the transportation necessary to travel that far every day.

Hiring the right coach is not always the best answer.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#10 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:34 AM

A quick question: do all counties in nc have a public transport system? Mitchell County is the 2nd smallest, 2nd poorest, and one of the most geographically isolated counties in the state and we have a public transportation department. It is mainly used for taking elderly people to Dr appointments, but anyone can use it, and that's how I made it to middle school practice as I went to Tipton Hill (k- 12) and played at bowman.

#11 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

that's a good question. not sure. The one in Jackson county, for example, is quite expensive for trips outside of the city limits of sylva and must be pre-arranged. I don't think there was one at all in Hyde County, at least not when i was there.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#12 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:19 AM

Could there be a six or eight man division of football in the NCHSAA?  It could help schools with low roster numbers ...

I've said there needs to be eight man football for 1A for many years. Would it mean less conference games and more travel? The answer is yes. Maybe it would even mean the schedule would be more like 9 games. You are not going to get a high quality coach at most tiny schools because the coaches at these schools have many more task in the daily routine than a larger metro school.

Having schoools with sub 400 enrollments field 11 man teams is a big challenge. Most of these schools have kids playing who are developing 9th graders. Putting freshmen on a varsity team with 18 year olds is a huge safety risk for the kids. Not to mention there is still travel issues to play in your classification which forces tiny schools to play up to 3A schools to fill a schedule already.

#13 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:33 AM

Kids are much, much bigger than 30 years ago. It's time to change, much like the world changes every day. But as stated above, soccer is the worlds sport and is growing at a rapid pace. If football is to survive in the current form it will need to adapt. Adapt quickly at smallish schools. Let just say I enjoy smaller classification football more than larger because the kids are closer to normal size physically than large metro areas. Let's be honest though. Football and basketball have become sports as my British friend says " sports for freaks of nature".

Nothing wrong with eight man football. Matter of fact I went to a game at Newton-Conover where two teams met for a half way point to play each other. It was fun to watch. Maybe more than 11 considering you could keep up with the action better. Enrollments will either get bigger in the tiny school districts or football may disappear. Economics, cost of fielding a team, and the need to get kids better prepared for the future will dictate it.

Good discussion. Glad to see it brought up.

JeffChapman-Dynamic