Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Top Small 3A Contenders

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:41 PM

Thought I would start this topic. This is all I can come up with for now.

Hunter Huss
Eastern Alamance
Catholic
Rocky Mount
Havelock
Freedom
Concord
Crest

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:49 PM

1. Charlotte Catholic
2. Havelock
3. Monroe
4. Orange
5. Northside Jacksonville
6. Rocky Mount
7. Hunter Huss
8. West Rowan
9. Burns
10. Freedom
11. Eastern Alamance
12. Southern Nash

There will be some other strong fringe teams that could go either way like Crest, Lee, Westover, etc.

I personally don't think Concord is quite ready to be labeled a contender, while talented, they're very young in some key spots.

#3 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

Crest and Concord would be darkhorses. Also no Western Alamance? Or are they 3AA? I think they're slightly better than Eastern at least in the pre-season. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#4 rbwebster32

rbwebster32

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

What is your thoughts on Kings Mountain this year

#5 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

I omitted a few because of questions regarding A or AA.

Kings Mountian will be good, as will Western Alamance.

#6 rbwebster32

rbwebster32

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

Who do you believe is the pick to win the Big South Conference this year.

#7 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

How do you see the Jacksonville Cardinals doing? Have heard a good amount of talk regarding them. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#8 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

Who do you believe is the pick to win the Big South Conference this year.

I think Crest will be the favorite, I think a slight favorite in my book, but between Burns, Huss, and Kings Mountian, there will be a log-jam up top. Forestview will be solid as well and capable of beating any of the above favorites.

Ashbrook has as much if not more talent than any of the above teams, we'll have to wait and see how they progress under new coach Brian Andrews who comes from South Point. They have one of the best running backs I've seen in rising senior British Brooks.

#9 rbwebster32

rbwebster32

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

Do you believe with the new coach at crest they will be running a different offense

#10 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

Why do you think Huss will be so good? 7 seems pretty high

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#11 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

Coach at Crest will bring his offense not sure what they run in the past but expect alot of RPO's and read option.

#12 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

Why do you think Huss will be so good? 7 seems pretty high

That is not a ranking. It's just a listing of what I know are 3A vs. 3AA teams.

#13 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

Do you believe with the new coach at crest they will be running a different offense

Nick Eddins will run a lot of what he ran at West Montgomery, a spread formation, triple option attack with a lot of RPO's which if you're not familiar with that term, means run/pass options or reads on each play for the QB.

Eddins has told me that the offense will be much more in-depth and dynamic than he ever showcased at West because he obviously has much more talent and parts and pieces to work with to give different looks.

One aspect of the old that he'll keep will be the one-back wildcat package that Mark Barnes incorporated. One thing is for sure, they'll be well prepared and have multiple different looks and not be one-demensional by any means. At West they were about 60-40 run vs. pass, I could see that closer to 50-50 at Crest with more talented receivers to work with.

I know Eddins is still a little concerned about this year's team, he's stressed that they'll be young in many positions, but I think he's really excited about long-term potential.

#14 footballforever

footballforever

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

Really think EA ahead of WA? I don't even comprehend that but I have been wrong many times before.  One thing for sure, they are so close in numbers that they will both more than likely be small A.

#15 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

when you install a dynamic multiple offense in a talent rich team like Crest; folks you better watch out. If they have a a QB that can read before the snap and read on the fly, Crest could be very good.

They are always strong on defense so having a potent offense should be a real difference maker.

Catholic, simply because they are so very consistent.  Monroe equals tons of talent, while Havelock seems to be loaded every year.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#16 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

when you install a dynamic multiple offense in a talent rich team like Crest; folks you better watch out. If they have a a QB that can read before the snap and read on the fly, Crest could be very good.

They are always strong on defense so having a potent offense should be a real difference maker.

Catholic, simply because they are so very consistent.  Monroe equals tons of talent, while Havelock seems to be loaded every year.

Catholic is also LOADED on offense this year. This is one of the deepest offensive teams I've ever seen at CC. If they can get the DL and secondary figured out they should be the favorites in 3A. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#17 smashmouth5

smashmouth5

JV Team

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

The kids and coaches are loving what Coach Eddins is bringing to Charger land. As has been said, the talent is good but young. Defense should be pretty stout so hopefully that will give the offense time to start clicking. Was neat to see all the football players come up to see the baseball team off as they headed to state. Ready for football season, the 3A and 3AA playoffs are going to be something.

#18 Sidelinemgr

Sidelinemgr

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Email:sidelinemgr@aol.com

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:53 AM

Have talked to a couple Charger players and they said that Coach Eddins is bringing the triple opion to Charger land this year. Said that what they have been praticeing over there . Just have to wait and see how sucesseful they are with it.

#19 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

Have talked to a couple Charger players and they said that Coach Eddins is bringing the triple opion to Charger land this year. Said that what they have been praticeing over there . Just have to wait and see how sucesseful they are with it.

And just to clear some ideas, I've had a few Crest / Cleveland Co. fans ask/say to me that Crest will be running the same type of triple that South Point does. It's not, this is more of a spread based deal out of the gun, not a double wing attack.

#20 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

And just to clear some ideas, I've had a few Crest / Cleveland Co. fans ask/say to me that Crest will be running the same type of triple that South Point does. It's not, this is more of a spread based deal out of the gun, not a double wing attack.

So no ankle biting at Crest?

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#21 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Out of the gun 99.9% of the time. Athletic QB is most fit for this offense

#22 MonarchTerritory2016

MonarchTerritory2016

JV Team

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

The Monarchs look very athletic on the offensive side of the ball but key holes to fill on the defensive side of the ball is the main question for them. Also filling the quarterback position

#23 smashmouth5

smashmouth5

JV Team

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

Yep.

#24 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

Lots of quality teams. One program is over shadowing them all unless you have not been paying attention to 4A. All of them will have to beat Charlotte Catholic.

#25 crestcharger02

crestcharger02

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

The kids and coaches are loving what Coach Eddins is bringing to Charger land. As has been said, the talent is good but young. Defense should be pretty stout so hopefully that will give the offense time to start clicking. Was neat to see all the football players come up to see the baseball team off as they headed to state. Ready for football season, the 3A and 3AA playoffs are going to be something.

Got a kick out of seeing those pictures in the Star with the players taking part of the send off.

JeffChapman-Dynamic