Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Marcus Graham to Mallard Creek

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

Graham should be able to put up big numbers at MICS by getting the ball in the hands of their athletes in space.  They will be far superior to much of their competition and pick up big yards after catch.  

I think with James Smith at QB last year, MC is the favorite to win it all and would have fared much better in the losses they had.  Smith was as clutch as I have seen at the position and was a leader which appeared to be what they needed to get the ship righted.

#52 Hagelfish

Hagelfish

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

This is Jaydon Washington in the film link not Marcus Graham. Graham moved on because of this young man. Jaydon was the JV QB last year and is completely home grown.

I was talking about Graham, lol. Having to learn a playbook at a new school and under a new system is already an uphill battle, transferring again and doing it in the beginning of July is a whole other beast.

#53 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

JV Team

• Coach
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

I would have thought his biggest hurdle was getting drafted I mean lottery selected into MICS

#54 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

All these QBs who have come thru Coach Mike Byus's program at East Lincoln are not next level D1 or D2 talents. The system made 10 years worth of kids look very dynamic. Basically a running back was put at the position with a decent arm. The whole system was almost a mimic of the App State Armani Edwards era. A run threat that holds everyone in place and isolates the corners one on one. Great system but not the new D1 model of offense.

Big yardage numbers do not always equate to talent. You would never fool a Belmont South Point with that scheme. And being next door that's probably why they have never been on the schedule.

#55 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

Graham should be able to put up big numbers at MICS by getting the ball in the hands of their athletes in space.  They will be far superior to much of their competition and pick up big yards after catch.  

I think with James Smith at QB last year, MC is the favorite to win it all and would have fared much better in the losses they had.  Smith was as clutch as I have seen at the position and was a leader which appeared to be what they needed to get the ship righted.

Hard to say. He was a baller but his biggest contribution would have been the leadership factor. Not sure how much effect he would have had on the penalty issues.  Caldwell has gotten a bad wrap in my opinion. Its always tough being the guy who follows the guy.    

#56 InnerCityPreps

InnerCityPreps

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

All these QBs who have come thru Coach Mike Byus's program at East Lincoln are not next level D1 or D2 talents. The system made 10 years worth of kids look very dynamic. Basically a running back was put at the position with a decent arm. The whole system was almost a mimic of the App State Armani Edwards era. A run threat that holds everyone in place and isolates the corners one on one. Great system but not the new D1 model of offense.

Big yardage numbers do not always equate to talent. You would never fool a Belmont South Point with that scheme. And being next door that's probably why they have never been on the schedule.

I agree. East Lincoln always has some outstanding individual athletes but overall, teams like Lincolnton, Shelby, Reidsville are much more athletic and faster across the board. That's why that system is so special for East Lincoln. It allowed them to utilize the athletes they did have.
- Simply stated.

#57 EGFAN75

EGFAN75

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

So...Surratt is not a D1 QB? I disagree.

#58 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

Hard to say. He was a baller but his biggest contribution would have been the leadership factor. Not sure how much effect he would have had on the penalty issues.  Caldwell has gotten a bad wrap in my opinion. Its always tough being the guy who follows the guy.    

I agree that Caldwell got a bad rap.  

#59 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Your basically discrediting the Surrartt kid who might start this year at UNC. A running QB in high school and college level is a problem. For any defense, call it a scheme or whatever. But dont discredit kids who've worked hard and produced. And not give them props cause that not traditional pocket passer.

I am a big Surratt fan.  Like him as a person.  Admired his play at EL.  Coaching and scheme with his receivers against 2A competition was a perfect storm.  Hopefully his attitude, size, and running ability although not super quick/fast will help him out at UNC.  Probably running third team coming out of spring practice.  I think if the staff beleived he were going to be a big time player they would have offered his brother at wideout.

#60 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

Your basically discrediting the Surrartt kid who might start this year at UNC. A running QB in high school and college level is a problem. For any defense, call it a scheme or whatever. But dont discredit kids who've worked hard and produced. And not give them props cause that not traditional pocket passer.

Would take several huge injuries for Surratt to start this year. Doesn't make him any less a great HS QB.

#61 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

I've discredited nobody. I've seen him play more than anyone who is not at East Lincoln. Have you seen him and his brother's 40 times? He will never be a college running QB. If he starts it will be because he is a pocket passer. His intelligence has gotten him further than athletic ability. He was a stud high school player. Mich Trubisky he is not. Fedora may very well look at athletic stats for a starter and that would be a shame.

He may hold the passing records for North Carolina and never start at Carolina. Mike Byus has not gotten enough credit for what he accomplished in 10 years. Surratt's parents knew what system fit the success of their kids and put them there. Smart choice. They should send Byus a check.

Mountain Island Charter is the new Davidson Day. Only difference is one Is $17,500.00 with some who don't pay and Mountain Island is a supposedly lottery public charter school- one that a lottery gets skipped when football is concerned. Some wait years to try and get in while others just take the bus over from Mallard Creek one day after practice.

#62 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:47 PM

I've discredited nobody. I've seen him play more than anyone who is not at East Lincoln. Have you seen him and his brother's 40 times? He will never be a college running QB. If he starts it will be because he is a pocket passer. His intelligence has gotten him further than athletic ability. He was a stud high school player. Mich Trubisky he is not. Fedora may very well look at athletic stats for a starter and that would be a shame.

He may hold the passing records for North Carolina and never start at Carolina. Mike Byus has not gotten enough credit for what he accomplished in 10 years. Surratt's parents knew what system fit the success of their kids and put them there. Smart choice. They should send Byus a check.

Mountain Island Charter is the new Davidson Day. Only difference is one Is $17,500.00 with some who don't pay and Mountain Island is a supposedly lottery public charter school- one that a lottery gets skipped when football is concerned. Some wait years to try and get in while others just take the bus over from Mallard Creek one day after practice.

I agree 100% here except for one thing Mt Island is missing Chad Grier. He was the engine that made it go at DD

#63 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:08 AM

UNC made the right call on the receiver in my opinion. Hope he proves me wrong.

#64 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:10 AM

Manziel's decision making issues were more off field.

#65 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:29 AM

Well lets do a quick history lesson. MICS head coach Robert Washington came under Chad Grier. In "14" grier faced Washington in a championship game. Grier took the "L". So lets just say the student passed the teacher. Grier couldn't get the talent he needed in DD,so he moved 4 hrs away. Grier wanted the MICS job but he knew a young up and coming Nick Saban (Washington). Was in command and in high demand. Washington is a brilliant football mind who has college recruiters. Calling him all day everyday. MICS is getting kids in to college at high rate and with Washington at the helm. The skys the limit, the ISLAND has become the new Creek of Charlotte. Who wouldn't chose an island over a creek. Surfs up dude...lol

MountIn Island is the the new Creek? Is that why non conference is Highland Tech and Graham? I'll take a hit off that bong please.

#66 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:43 AM

Well lets do a quick history lesson. MICS head coach Robert Washington came under Chad Grier. In "14" grier faced Washington in a championship game. Grier took the "L". So lets just say the student passed the teacher. Grier couldn't get the talent he needed in DD,so he moved 4 hrs away. Grier wanted the MICS job but he knew a young up and coming Nick Saban (Washington). Was in command and in high demand. Washington is a brilliant football mind who has college recruiters. Calling him all day everyday. MICS is getting kids in to college at high rate and with Washington at the helm. The skys the limit, the ISLAND has become the new Creek of Charlotte. Who wouldn't chose an island over a creek. Surfs up dude...lol

Hough will be a serious contender  because of the numerous player's they got from DD. The administration at DD wanted to reevaluate their Football program, to many little johnny's couldn't make it on the field with the talent that was flocking to DD. Parent's were complaining.They mutually decided to part ways. Grier is elite status when it comes to building and getting kids to play for him. He was also offered a couple of the HC jobs in Charlotte. He didn't have to travel 4 hours....lol . Coach Washington is a great guy that works overtime for his players. I can't comment on his coaching pedigree, I don't know. If he's on Grier's level? That's Huge.

Every Practice at Mallard Creek is like an episode of Blind Side with the amount of coaches present. They have more Coaches flowing through campus than entire conferences put together. Ranked Nationally top 10 with the amount of players playing at 4 year Universities. The Island plays a Schedule that a lot of JV teams would finish above 500. Come on man! The Island is not the new Creek of Charlotte! Stop with the Crazy Talk...lol

#67 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:56 AM

The Island with the new Nick Saban.....Gotcha. :)

#68 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

MountIn Island is the the new Creek? Is that why non conference is Highland Tech and Graham? I'll take a hit off that bong please.

f8a2bd2973652c8230704ae162b948c371e0cd87

I don't believe it was a bong he's hitting! LOL! 

#69 InnerCityPreps

InnerCityPreps

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

The dude is a troll. Either purposely implemented into the boards to create conversation or to simply get a rise. He doesn't seriously believe half of the stuff that comes out of his mouth.
- Simply stated.

#70 MHS88

MHS88

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

Sit back and enjoy the show guys. MIC will take over 4A football soon. The new kings of North Carolina football, regardless of classification. Well so says good ole Blakk Richmond, and we all know when Blakk Richmond talks people listen. Oh wait that was when EF Hutton talks people listen. My bad

JeffChapman-Dynamic