Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Marcus Graham to Mallard Creek

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:56 AM

I already stated that both would be new to an environment like the one they will face in Scotland. You want to frame it like one is better prepared than the other. Have already stated its real early in the process and there isnt much to go on. I havent down played anything....... Its you making the comparison and its really not close. I expect 8-10K in Pate on that Thursday night. It will be the only game in the state and you are likely to get travel from all over including South Carolina. 90%  will be  screaming obscenities at the big city boys from Mallard Creek. There arent two kids on that Wilkes Central team that would start for Scotland.

#27 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

Not my guy Work. Just a guy. I'm sure both are capable but why down play the importance of playoff games in another classification? Had Surratt been on another team, Graham would have started as a freshman on a team that has won champoinships and went deep in many years under Mike Byus's tenure.

I'll start and end my participation in this thread. Both should start at some position and both will probably see time at QB. Competition always brings out the best in kids or they fold and find another program. The latter usually happens with better QBs.

I believe if Washington was @!EL he would have started as well. I'm not down playing playoff games he's played in. It should be a plus. Comparing it to playing @ Tate 1st game of the season. Big difference. I definitely believe both will share time a QB. Neither will start at another position other than QB.

#28 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:09 PM

GDG. Enjoyed chatting it up with you. Its almost Football season.

#29 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

Marcus Graham is leaving the Creek. This is nothing new, it's been happening for a long time. They loose 9 to 10 players every year.You only here about them when they arrive and never leaving. I really wish he would have stayed and competed. A great talent. He will light it up at Mountain Island. The Creek got better @ QB with the short time he was there.

#30 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,631 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

I think a player being able to show up at a charter that plays 1A football and to immediately be on the team is a major issue that the NCHSAA faces.  It has been a problem in basketball for a long time.

#31 coachlashsr

coachlashsr

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:56 PM

You guys do realize 1A schools fall under the same rules and regulations as any other NC public or Charter! Stop the speculations and speak your mind. It's ok to say exactly what you mean. Excuses although unlimited are very hard to stomach and tolerate

#32 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:18 PM

Marcus Graham is leaving the Creek. This is nothing new, it's been happening for a long time. They loose 9 to 10 players every year.You only here about them when they arrive and never leaving. I really wish he would have stayed and competed. A great talent. He will light it up at Mountain Island. The Creek got better @ QB with the short time he was there.

Business as usual. Wish him well....

#33 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,631 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:37 PM

I know more about the rules of the NCHSAA than most that post here.  I was involved in the CMS residency reviews in 2008 and have been at numerous NCHSAA meetings when various forms of eligibility have been on the agenda.

The 1A does play by the same rules and regulations as the NCHSAA as a whole.  The issue is the 1A classification is overloaded with magnets, charters, and a parochial many of which pull a 1A size student body from a large metro area.  Nearly fifty non traditionals schools now make up the 1A classification.  I have no problem if a student goes to any school and if you notice my statement was "is a major issue the NCHSAA faces."  I did not say it was illegal but the overwhelming success of the non traditional schools is causing a rift within the membership much as it did in Georgia.  As have written many times before, once a non traditional wins a football championship you will see the 1A schools present a much more unified voice and that is the "issue" that the NCHSAA as a whole will have.

#34 Creekprogram

Creekprogram

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

Pressure makes Diamonds or bust pipes....  I would have loved to watch the two compete for the job.  Injury and intangibles are always in play as a leader of the Football team so who knows who would have been the starter.  Two moves looking for the perfect situation.....in life there are no perfect situations

#35 704cougarsdad

704cougarsdad

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

Sad to hear, wish him well in all his future endeavors

#36 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

I'll start and end my participation in this thread. Both should start at some position and both will probably see time at QB. Competition always brings out the best in kids or they fold and find another program. The latter usually happens with better QBs.

Remember this from post #27? Life is full of challenges. Embrace competition. It will only make you better later in life.

#37 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

Remember this from post #27? Life is full of challenges. Embrace competition. It will only make you better later in life.

Couldnt agree more. This is the new normal now. Kids dont even want to compete. If its not given to them they move on.

#38 Nickle City

Nickle City

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

Competition is good and it does help athletes perform better than may have ever imagined. However, let's be clear because an athlete transfers doesn't mean they don't have the stuff to be successful. One only has to take a look at the hundreds of athletes who transfer each year to other programs who are very successful. Lastly, at the end of day where talking young people who from what I can gather are good citizens and students.

#39 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

I think they will. I also think he should feel blessed. Where is he going now?

Mountain Island Charter!

#40 Nickle City

Nickle City

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

From what I can tell CC 14 there are many schools this kid could start at. It has been my experience in my 20 plus years of working with individuals and families that people generally make decisions based on several factors. Lastly, Mountain Island Charter also has a starting qb returning.

#41 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:33 PM

Its the families decision to make. Hopefully its the right fit. More and more though it really seems like the search for that fit is becoming multiple moves. Sooner or later a kid is gonna have to stay and compete somewhere. We have a QB in CMS that is on his 5th school in 4 years......seems a bit counterproductive.

#42 scotswin

scotswin

Established Member

• Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

They may in fact both be great but I can assure you this. Neither one of these 16 yr olds have ever witnessed anything like putting on a Mallard Creek jersey and walking into Pate on opening night in 95 degree heat and 110% humidity.

Like being fed to the tigers...lol

I cant wait to see it happen Wrigley., the time is getting nearer, prepare prepare

#43 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

Here we go!

https://youtu.be/uQznwZ_A6vk

#44 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

Here we go!

https://youtu.be/uQznwZ_A6vk

I guess we couldn't keep him secret for long :)

#45 Hagelfish

Hagelfish

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

Kid's got talent no doubt. You have to think though all of this shuffling around puts him on the disadvantage.

#46 Creekprogram

Creekprogram

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:27 PM

Kid's got talent no doubt. You have to think though all of this shuffling around puts him on the disadvantage.

This is Jaydon Washington in the film link not Marcus Graham. Graham moved on because of this young man. Jaydon was the JV QB last year and is completely home grown.

#47 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

I think Graham would've been a better fit, for the spread y'all run. He was closer version of LJ. This kid looks good thou more of a pocket passer. Graham would've opened up passing lanes with his running ability.

Lot more to Washington's game than 2 minutes  of game film. He has wheels also, with a high football IQ. He's also a competitor and smiled when he heard someone was coming to  challenge him. I would have love to see Graham stick around and compete. I wouldn't compare anyone to LJ. 

#48 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:02 AM

I think Graham would've been a better fit, for the spread y'all run. He was closer version of LJ. This kid looks good thou more of a pocket passer. Graham would've opened up passing lanes with his running ability.

Well that might be true but the first thing you have to do is want to compete. You can play at Mallard Creek and go to Scotland or compete against Butler, Vance, Hough etc. Or, you can go to Mt Island charter and play the Community school of Davidson, Highland Tech or something called Thomas Jefferson classical.

Everyone chooses their own path.

#49 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,631 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

Graham should be able to put up big numbers at MICS by getting the ball in the hands of their athletes in space.  They will be far superior to much of their competition and pick up big yards after catch.  

I think with James Smith at QB last year, MC is the favorite to win it all and would have fared much better in the losses they had.  Smith was as clutch as I have seen at the position and was a leader which appeared to be what they needed to get the ship righted.

#50 Hagelfish

Hagelfish

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

This is Jaydon Washington in the film link not Marcus Graham. Graham moved on because of this young man. Jaydon was the JV QB last year and is completely home grown.

I was talking about Graham, lol. Having to learn a playbook at a new school and under a new system is already an uphill battle, transferring again and doing it in the beginning of July is a whole other beast.

JeffChapman-Dynamic