Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Marcus Graham to Mallard Creek

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

Does Graham lead Mallard Creek to a title game. East Lincoln again loses a big time player. Seems they take a hit every year. Graham gives Mallard Creek what they didn't have last year. It wil be tough to beat MC in the coming year.

East Lincoln's Frasier transferred to W. Hough High as well.

#2 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

Does Graham lead Mallard Creek to a title game. East Lincoln again loses a big time player. Seems they take a hit every year. Graham gives Mallard Creek what they didn't have last year. It wil be tough to beat MC in the coming year.

East Lincoln's Frasier transferred to W. Hough High as well.

Seems like a hardworking and talented kid but it is far from a foregone conclusion that he will be under center at Pate on 8/17. Very talented JV QB who didnt lose a game last year and has been MVP of several off season camps. Plus , its still pretty early so you never know who will show up at Mallard Creek between now and August 1st. Either way I expect that QB will be a plus position for MC by mid season 

#3 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,632 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:04 AM

The transfer option did not work out as expected last season.

#4 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:26 AM

He's been @ MC for over 2 months. He's also going up against a kid with a better arm, who knows the system better, with crazy work ethics's. There are more kids that relocate to the Creek, that lose time on the field, than those who make it on the field. This is outstanding for the program. A QB competition, something that should have happened last year.

#5 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:46 AM

The transfer option did not work out as expected last season.

Lot of things didn't work as expected last year. The QB was only a portion of it. Learn from it and move on is all you can do.

#6 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,632 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

Lot of things didn't work as expected last year. The QB was only a portion of it. Learn from it and move on is all you can do.

Agreed. I thought it was a gradual buildup of items that caught up to them.

#7 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

Graham has qualities beyond being the fastest and best arm. Kid is a good decision maker. That trait is far superior to skills in a tee shirt at camps. Not saying he is Mallard Creek's guy but keep in mind a good mental presence with 22 players on the field should not be overlooked. If he is the second best option on a team that is a deep QB situation.

#8 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

Graham has qualities beyond being the fastest and best arm. Kid is a good decision maker. That trait is far superior to skills in a tee shirt at camps. Not saying he is Mallard Creek's guy but keep in mind a good mental presence with 22 players on the field should not be overlooked. If he is the second best option on a team that is a deep QB situation.

No matter who wins. The QB spot will be deep. It's a QB competition. The best guy will start against Scotland. Graham is a baller no doubt, and you need to keep in mind, that his competition has all the same traits beyond tee shirt's & shorts at camps.

You did start off the thread, introducing him and  somewhat insinuating  that he was going to lead MC, not knowing he has some stiff competition. Last year was an isolated experiment. I doubt it ever happens again. Gotta compete! 

#9 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

I have only seen him in shorts and a Tshirt and really only seen him 3 times I think so thats all I have to go on. Have had trouble seeing any film from last year. I'll say this, the short amount I have seen he is a physical clone of Jadyn. He is new in the offense and seemed to struggle some but that would be expected. His numbers from last year are impressive and he took over some big shoes and lost his #1 receiver so that tells you something. To be fair with the exception of  a few teams I think the MC JV schedule may have been tougher than the EL varsity schedule.

Like I said.. I expect the QB and WR position to both be plus positions for MC as the year progresses. I expect the offense to be much less one dimensional  than they were last year regardless of who is throwing it.  

#10 Wiseman

Wiseman

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

I'm guessing they move the loser between graham and Washington to WR while being the back up?

And I see the Washington has been impressing people at camps this spring...if he is as good as people say (not doubting it), why wasn't he the starter last season? Was Caldwell the starter due to politics?

#11 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

Caldwell's competition made an exit before the season started.He realized by the 3rd game, he should have stayed and rode it out. Washington is 20lbs bigger & a inch taller this year and ready.. Last year he was not physically ready to go the entire season.

#12 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:55 PM

I'm guessing they move the loser between graham and Washington to WR while being the back up?

And I see the Washington has been impressing people at camps this spring...if he is as good as people say (not doubting it), why wasn't he the starter last season? Was Caldwell the starter due to politics?

Its pretty crowded at WR currently. Anything is possible but I think your gonna see a good old fashion QB battle and its possible if one struggles the other may see some time. Neither a big physical kids so you always worry about injury with a MC schedule.

Jury is still out on Jadyn. We shall see what they have pretty soon but I know everyone is in love with the kids work ethic and makeup. Last year?  I think Jadyn was a 145lb 14 year old at the beginning of the year and Caldwell was a 6-2 210lb man who was a big time athlete and maybe the best practice Qb I have ever seen. It really wasnt a question between Caldwell and Jadyn. The competition should have been between Seth ( JV QB in 2015) and Chauncey. But Seth transferred to Concord assembly and they never really had a battle.

I think it was pretty clear even in the first game that Caldwell struggled in the pocket. However, he got better in the Butler game and you kept hoping he was gonna turn the corner and it actually got worse. In the end the thought was you had 3 SEC lineman and a 220lb battering  ram in the backfield and you would just pound it. It was the right plan.....however, when you are in 1st and 20  or 3rd and 25 because of penalties all year suddenly your QB needs to make throws and he struggled. He also didnt have a QB coach until mid season. Jadyn and Marcus have DJ from the get go...huge difference.

#13 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

Graham is already a proven starting QB. With no 280 pound linemen. Doesn't mean he is the better talent but he has excelled in Friday night situations at a very good program.

#14 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

Graham is already a proven starting QB. With no 280 pound linemen. Doesn't mean he is the better talent but he has excelled in Friday night situations at a very good program.

I doubt anyone will disagree with you on that. EL must have deleted his Hudl highlight reel. I used to watch it everyday. It put a big smile on my face.   :)

#15 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

Feel blessed you have someone like Graham and another kid pushing the envelope to take that position. It bodes well for a program rich in talent. Given the area around MC with the housing, the city (basically a city) of Highland Creek, and kids with higher incomes, and supportive parents it's a situation conducive to winning. Looking forward to seeing Mallard Creek this year.

#16 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:05 AM

Highland Creek stretches across 2 counties with a estimated population over 14000 residents and the Creek might get 5 players max, per year. All the kids do not attend MC.

Hough, Myers Park, Providence, Ardrey Kell & South Meck all have the Creek beat on the higher income & support. 4 of the 5 also have larger admin numbers.Now we're just waiting on the State Championships..lol

Yep! The QB competition is Awesome! The blessings started long before Graham & Washington arrived,both were probably 6 years old ...lol

#17 704cougarsdad

704cougarsdad

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

Highland Creek stretches across 2 counties with a estimated population over 14000 residents and the Creek might get 5 players max, per year. All the kids do not attend MC.

Hough, Myers Park, Providence, Ardrey Kell & South Meck all have the Creek beat on the higher income & support. 4 of the 5 also have larger admin numbers.Now we're just waiting on the State Championships..lol

Yep! The QB competition is Awesome! The blessings started long before Graham & Washington arrived,both were probably 6 years old ...lol

and u know we over at IBM drive is watching this competition closely lol

#18 scots roll

scots roll

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

I hope the Scots quarterback is half as good as the Creek's 2 QB's.

#19 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

I hope the Scots quarterback is half as good as the Creek's 2 QB's.

They may in fact both be great but I can assure you this. Neither one of these 16 yr olds have ever witnessed anything like putting on a Mallard Creek jersey and walking into Pate on opening night in 95 degree heat and 110% humidity.

Like being fed to the tigers...lol

#20 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

Graham's been there. Got thrust into a huge game when the North Carolina Player of the Year went down. He's been in plenty of playoff games. Will not phase him one bit.

#21 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

Graham's been there. Got thrust into a huge game when the North Carolina Player of the Year went down. He's been in plenty of playoff games. Will not phase him one bit.

Lol...Wilkes Central.

#22 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

New Team, 2 starters returning on offense, different offense, stiffer competition, 1st game of the season against arguably the # 1 team in the State, returning 85% of their starters. (Scotland), playing at their House. Vs being thrust into a game against 2A Wilkes Central.

No way you can believe those 2 scenario's are the same?

I'm fan also but damn!

#23 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

Versus a JV game with nothing on the line? Comical.

#24 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

[quote name="GDG" post="288587" timestamp="1497212593"]

Versus a JV game with nothing on the line? Comical.[/quote

So your guy can do it, but no other QB can? Come on man. You're extremely bias. Let the kid compete. Also the JV games are packed and they anticipate going undefeated every year. You don't wait until Varsity before games matter. Every game is on the line including JV. Different culture. If the coaching staff thought you couldn't compete or called it comical because you came from JV. James Smith would have never won 3 State Championships...lol

#25 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:43 AM

Not my guy Work. Just a guy. I'm sure both are capable but why down play the importance of playoff games in another classification? Had Surratt been on another team, Graham would have started as a freshman on a team that has won champoinships and went deep in many years under Mike Byus's tenure.

I'll start and end my participation in this thread. Both should start at some position and both will probably see time at QB. Competition always brings out the best in kids or they fold and find another program. The latter usually happens with better QBs.

JeffChapman-Dynamic