Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Great Rivalries In NC

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

What makes a great rivalry? IMO, here are a few criteria:

1. History (years the 2 teams have consecutively played)

2. Proximity (a high school rivalry isn't the same if the teams are 100 mile apart)

3. Venues (great stadiums make great atmopheres)

4. Crowds/fans (self-explanatory)

5. Intermingled family/friends (also ties in with 2 and 4)

6. Implications on the line (conference championship, playoff seeding, bragging rights)

So, with our criteria in place, where are the best rivalries in your neck of the woods? We all know the big ones, so let the fans of those teams post about theirs.

Up here in the High Country we have the Toe River Battle. Mitchell vs Mountain Heritage. Both playing since 1975, and have played at least once every season since. 12 or so miles apart (school to school) the counties border one another by the Toe River. The Cougars have EL Briggs Stadium (seats 7000) aka The Pit aka THE HOLE. In a deep ravine, surrounded by pine trees, this is one of the loudest stadium around. The Mountaineers march out of the woods at Ledger Memorial Stadium (seats 8000). Similar, but different, The Ledger dome sits atop a hill, also surrounded by pine trees. I live in Bakersville, about 5 miles by the way the crow flies, and have heard the crowd on cold nights. These two teams have some ridiculous fans (myself include). Anything from cowbells and thundersticks, to milkjugs filled with gravel to a stick and a hubcap. Neither side ever shuts up, and we like it! families are intertwined across the river, and it only makes the rivalry better. Up until recently, there usually wasn't much on the line other than bragging rights, but the last few years, this game has decided the WHC conference.

#2 PHS Bear

PHS Bear

JV Team

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:08 PM

I'll bite. The Pisgah vs Tuscola game is THE rivalry game.

1. History 1966 to current, series tied.

2.Proximity about 9 miles apart

3. Venues Tuscola has Weatherby (yawn) Pisgah has Memorial. Located on the banks of the Pigeon river with a fantastic view of the sunset looking west from the home side.

4. Crowds I believe there were about 15K at last years game

5. Intermingled family- there are husbands that support one team with wives that support the other.

6. Implications- Last year both teams were undefeated going into the game with conference championship, WNCAC, and playoff seeding on the line. Not to mention Bragging rights. Alas we will be in different conferences and classifications this coming season. A helicopter delivered the game ball. Its truly amazing

#3 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

Agree. Nothing rivals it and it seems almost impossible considering the population of the area.

#4 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

Before Shelby/Crest crowd gets on here and declares every other rivalry in state trivial I will comply with parameters of thread and throw out the Randolph county ones that apply:

1. Eastern Randolph/Randleman (In every sport)

2. Eastern Randolph/Providence Grove (Because they used to be one school)

3. Asheboro/The rest of the county (Because they are Asheboro)

#5 Darkhorse2007

Darkhorse2007

Established Member

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:51 AM

For my school

Clinton vs Wallace Rose-Hill is usually very heated big crowds normally a conference championship is on the line alot of history and 11 State Championships between these two

As far as my region nothing is bigger than Wallace Rose-Hill vs James Kenen
2015-07-24_06.41.31.jpg
Clinton Dark Horses
State Champs 90,96,97,2001,2005<p>Eastern Champs 76,90,95,96,97,2001,2002,2005,2006,2014

#6 BlackKnightNut

BlackKnightNut

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

Before Shelby/Crest crowd gets on here and declares every other rivalry in state trivial I will comply with parameters of thread and throw out the Randolph county ones that apply:

1. Eastern Randolph/Randleman (In every sport)
2. Eastern Randolph/Providence Grove (Because they used to be one school)
3. Asheboro/The rest of the county (Because they are Asheboro)

Sounds like everyone in Davidson county versus Lexington lol.

Lexington​/Thomasville is the biggest, then North/Ledford in this county. The North and Oak Grove JV game is going to be packed this year...

#7 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

Shelby/Crest is the best hands down.... every other rivalry in state is trivial.

1. Shelby/Crest (In every sport)

2. Shelby/Crest (Because they are only 4 miles apart)

3. Shelby/Crest (Because they are Shelby and Crest)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This guy nailed it!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#8 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

3. Venues Tuscola has Weatherby (yawn) Pisgah has Memorial. Located on the banks of the Pigeon river with a fantastic view of the sunset looking west from the home side.

That's an interesting way of saying 'we stare at the paper mill and if the wind is right, we smell it too'.  :P

#9 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This guy nailed it!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How you know I'm a guy?

OK I am but your post kind of misquoted me.

Ain't that grounds for plagiarism lawsuit?

Hold on got to call my lawyer...

Wait don't have one.

Never mind.

#10 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

And Mapquest says Shelby to Crest 5.6 miles closest route.

Unless you are a crow I guess?

Also ER to Providence Grove is 10.5 miles.

Unless that crow comes up this away.

#11 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

How you know I'm a guy?

OK I am but your post kind of misquoted me.

Ain't that grounds for plagiarism lawsuit?

Hold on got to call my lawyer...

Wait don't have one.

Never mind.

lol

#12 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

you are a crow I guess?

yup

#13 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:48 AM

well, glad to see this one got derailed

#14 Packleader

Packleader

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

well, glad to see this one got derailed

hey whatever happened with the mitchell/avery rivalry. didnt that use to be a pretty game big for yall high country folks?

#15 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

It was as big as the Mitchell/Heritage rivalry. But Avery has been stinking it up for a few years and with it no longer being the last game of the season, it's kinda lost its luster. November in Newland is still my favorite game to attend. I love the cold.

#16 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

Robbinsville vs Swain. Over all record is around 27-25 in Swains favor. (Even though they almost double our enrollment.)

#17 PHS Bear

PHS Bear

JV Team

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

That's an interesting way of saying 'we stare at the paper mill and if the wind is right, we smell it too'.  :P

The stands face east and west. The paper mill is north of the stadium.Part your beard and you might be able to see.Maybe thats what your smelling too.

#18 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

Not 2A, but Catholic vs Country Day is very underrated aka The Cook Cup 

Have played every year since 1961, record is 29-27 in favor of Catholic. As of late Catholic has had the upper hand in the rivalry, but historically it is as competitive as any in Charlotte.

They battle for the Cook Cup, a silver bowl named after Former Country Day coach John C Cook who passed away suddenly in 1985. 

Most years through the 2000s especially the winner would go on to win a state title or play for win, and in some instances both would. The battles between Jim Oddo and Bob Whitman were as good as they come with Country Day mastering CC's wing T and even calling out plays before they were run. 

The crowds for the game would reach anywhere from 3500-5000 depending on the year which is huge for a school in Country Day who's HS is about the size of a 1A school and CC a historically 2A/3A school. The schools are also roughly 3-5 miles apart I believe so many of the kids grew up knowing eachother. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

JeffChapman-Dynamic