Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Best high school football band

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

What would be the biggest or best high school football band you seen? Also it seems like the schools that had big bands at one time has fell off. Some may have grown over time. Curious as to know why bands have shrunk over time.

#2 Big C

Big C

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:17 AM

I've seen old high school yearbooks from the 50's and R.J Reynolds used to have a band with around 60-70 people back then.

#3 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,992 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

Back in the day Kannapolis had over 250. Today Reagan, Mooresville, Leesville Road, are among the better ones I've seen.

#4 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

I would have to say of all the games I've been to Mooresville is probably one of the best bands. But I do remember the days Kannaspolis had a big band. They played real well then.

#5 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

AL Brown band had almost unlimited funds from the mill. New uniforms galore. Took a lot of buses to bring in the band. Usually it rivaled large universities. Inremember during the Ethan Horton years the band would cover from goal line to goal line. East Burke once had a huge band as well.

The ones that I have seen in the last couple years are Mooresville and Newton-Conover. Newton's main campus has 775 students and a band of 115 kids.

Football without uour band there is just not right.

#6 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,992 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

GDG, you're almost 100% correct about A.L. Brown's band except the new uniforms part. During the "Big Green Machine" era from the 60's through late 90's, they only had two uniforms! Friday Nights in K-Town has a huge and in-depth feature on the band. It's a great history lesson of what big-time football used to be like.

#7 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

West Iredell Band use to awesome back in the old school days. Alot of people would attend games just to see the band.

West Charlotte

Carver

Kannapolis- Their numbers would circle all around the football field.

#8 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

My Top 5:
Mooresville
Carver
West Charlotte
AL Brown
South Iredell

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#9 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

My favorite in this area are
1. South Caldwell
2. Fred T. Foard
3. St. Stephens
4. Newton Conover
5. Bandys
Newton and South always have great bands and well organized. Even as a diedhard maiden fan Newton kills maiden when it comes to bands

#10 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:27 AM

IIRC, Plymouth has a good sized band for such a small school. Mitchell's band used to be huge... not anymore...

#11 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

East Burke has always had a very good band.  I don't know what their number have been like since they dropped to 2A but they used to be great.

#12 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

North Lincoln is a good band esp at competition wise

WI: They aren't bad but they don't usually don't have big numbers

Scotland Co Band is unique and different and they are very good

AC has good band too n they also have a prep band ad well

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#13 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

If I remember correctly didn't Statesville use to play bag pipes in their band. Of course this was years ago. And they were a decent band.

#14 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Established Member

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

Not sure how they stack up against other but I have enjoyed North Buncombe's band the past few years when we played them.

#15 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

Can't wait to hear east burke and North Lincoln again this season:)

#16 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

Carver is #1 imo.  They just flat out entertain!

East Burke has a huge band.....must have had over 100 kids in their band.  One of the football players marched in his football uniform when we played there 3 years ago.  

#17 gg4bama

gg4bama

JV Team

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

When ACR played Dudley back in 2009 at Dudley.  Dudley had the best band I have ever seen in high school.  They were awesome and looked like they were having so much fun. 

#18 Superkase

Superkase

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:40 AM

IIRC, Plymouth has a good sized band for such a small school. Mitchell's band used to be huge... not anymore...

I've commented on Plymouth's band before, I remember seeing them against Murphy in a state championship a few years ago.  They were fun!

#19 stickwolf

stickwolf

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

If I remember correctly didn't Statesville use to play bag pipes in their band. Of course this was years ago. And they were a decent band.

Yes they did. The Statesville Grenadier Band. Them and West Iredell were great in the day but that was a time when most schools around Iredell County had bigger bands than most now. Heres the Statesville band many moons ago. Awesome

https://www.youtube....h?v=3fJnsNc2ZJY

#20 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:41 PM

Yes they did. The Statesville Grenadier Band. Them and West Iredell were great in the day but that was a time when most schools around Iredell County had bigger bands than most now. Heres the Statesville band many moons ago. Awesome

https://www.youtube....h?v=3fJnsNc2ZJY

Statesville band isn't what they use to be

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#21 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

Stickwolf, thanks for sharing. The Statesville Grenadier was awesome during those days. Would like to see more bands like that.

#22 GoNtheDistance

GoNtheDistance

Established Member

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

If you think Carver is good and they are, you should see high Point andrews competition marching band. They've won multiple state band comps in their division (this includes Carver) and won the national title in the last few years. Those gets entertain and get after it.

"You can't control the wind, but you can always adjust your sails."

#23 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

If you think Carver is good and they are, you should see high Point andrews competition marching band. They've won multiple state band comps in their division (this includes Carver) and won the national title in the last few years. Those gets entertain and get after it.

Beat me to it Distance. They are good.

Can't hear yourself when sitting across from them on visitor's side.

Horns can get it.

#24 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:52 PM

Twenty years ago, the Plymouth Band was devastated. I'll never forget the memorial held on the football field. Television news teams from all across the country were there covering it. Most tragic event I have ever been a part of.

http://www.wral.com/...l/story/164514/

You can also Google Band of Angels Plymouth NC. The entire town shut down that day! So sad!

#25 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:15 PM

Twenty years ago, the Plymouth Band was devastated. I'll never forget the memorial held on the football field. Television news teams from all across the country were there covering it. Most tragic event I have ever been a part of.

http://www.wral.com/...l/story/164514/

You can also Google Band of Angels Plymouth NC. The entire town shut down that day! So sad!

Wow , Crazy how this happened in 97 n also reading article there accident Similar before this....

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

JeffChapman-Dynamic