Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Southwestern 4A

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,230 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

What do you guys think? Butler? Myers Park? Or will someone else surprise everyone? How do you guys feel Indy does with the new staff and everything there? How about Hickory Ridge... struggle? Or will the Bulls hold their own?

I personally have MP over Butler (don't crucify me-- I'm going the under dog route lol). 3rd-6th or 7th I think are very very tight.

#2 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:56 PM

Yeah...everyone always likes to jump on the new sexy team. We see it every year with Ardrey Kell, Hough and South Meck as well. Its Myers Park turn and we will be hearing the hype for the next 3 months. New shiny QB, some pretty new wideouts and throw in a couple of famous names like Muhammad and Bly and you know Langston will be camping out in Dilworth drooling.

I guess people forget what 53-0 looks like and that was with a 3 year starting QB at home. Those Dawgs have won just a few big games over the past 8-9 years and MP has won exactly none. Will see...

#3 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:45 PM

MP is just like AK. Once you start rotating that depth in the trenches. It gets real soft.

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,204 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

Wrigley, work7....

It's hard not to agree with both of you concerning Myers Park.  You both make very valid arguments based on factual events in recent seasons. However, I do think without a doubt that Myers Park is probably a different animal this season.  I've been calling for this season ('17) to be their year, as last season, minus QB Jack Davidson, most of their playmakers were sophomores.  This junior class is one of those once in a generation type classes for Myers Park that has only gotten better. 

I certainly feel that Scott Chadwick has proven himself as a top tier coach and he's shown that he can win at every school he's been at, including winning a state championship in Maryland. 

By seasons end I do see Butler having the ability to knock off the Mustangs, but with their youth and inexperience and a few legit question marks on both sides of the football, we'll have to play a wait and see approach and watch as these young pups mature into the true Dawgs we assume they'll become. 

The other team I think we're forgetting is Hickory Ridge.  While I think the adjustment to 4A will be a tough one, they still return a boat load of talent from last years 13-2 season.  I could easily see them making some noise.  By all means don't sleep on Porter Ridge either, this is certain to be a breakthrough year for them in year two under Mike Hertz. 

My thoughts and predictions based on knowledge and facts today.......

1. Myers Park

2. Butler

3. Hickory Ridge

4. Porter Ridge

5. East Meck

6. Independence

7. Rocky River

8. Garinger

What it could also look like....

1. Butler

2. Myers Park

3. East Meck

4. Independence

5. Hickory Ridge

6. Porter Ridge

7. Rocky River

8. Garinger

#5 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:47 AM

Myers Park was a very good team last year.  I think the Butler whipping was probably the best thing that happened  to them as it probably emphasized just how far the gap still is/was. People I respect tell me Chadwick is an " it" kinda guy and I think the addition of a guy like Joe Evans helps in several areas. That said  think he has been coaching in NC for 7 or 8 years with two programs and he hasnt gotten past the 2nd round of the playoffs. I'm a show me in November guy, so I think its fair to say there is a little meat left on that bone and I bet he would probably say the same.

My recollection of last years game wasnt one of playmakers as much as it was an Oline that looked like they were standing still as guys like Worthy and Mclain waltzed into the backfield. It was also a team that despite great size wasnt physically ready for prime time. Some of that was youth but in my mind the real gap between teams like Butler and everyone else is always physicality and a real genius offensive play caller. 

The hump is mental as much as anything else. Took several years for Butler to get by Indy even though many of those years they were probably the better team. AK and South Meck never solved the Catholic puzzle and it took a special kid at QB to get Vance over the Creek hump.  I can tell you watching Butler play multiple games every year since 2009 they arent going to just give it away and beating  them at home is a rare occurrence. This wont be a catching them napping kinda game. They will need to take it from them.  

3 teams I think are the hump teams this year. Myers PArk, West Forsyth and Hough was until coaching issues sort of unfolded. I think one of the 3 is a regional finalist this year. My money is on WF right now. I know you were out there this week I think and I am looking forward to hearing a little bit about Mr. Henry and the boys.

#6 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

As far as the rest of the conf. East Meck will beat one of the big boys but will finish middle tier. Indy will be better than most expect and Porter Ridge is a darkhorse. Just dont know enough about Hickory Ridge to be able to say anything intelligent.

#7 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:52 AM

Myers Park will have to show me. When Butler hit them in the mouth last year. They completely shut down. Zero effort!

#8 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

Is Porter Ridge still in the conference? Serious question, since they had something like a 1600 ADM last season?

Anyway, this race will be really tough to handicap until I see what Butler and Indy look like to begin the season. Myers Park should be really good. But I don't see them as being state title contending good any time soon (at least until they get much more mentally tough and find some confidence somewhere), and Butler never strays too far from being on that level, even in big rebuilding years like what's upcoming in 2017. However...Butler does have a LOT of question marks heading into the season. Indy arguably has as much size and talent as any team in the state from year to year...their big problem the last decade has been total, incompetent program mismanagement. With new faces in town, does that situation improve noticeably? Can they win on the 4A level with a coach that has never proven that he can win on the 4A level?

My prediction earlier this year was that Hickory Ridge will finish in the top half of the standings in their first year out of the gate. With Butler and Indy both having question marks and with Hickory Ridge returning a veteran team that was pretty decent last year, the Bulls could not have picked a better year to enter the conference. They will win some games, mark it down. Long term, I think it will be tough for them, but in 2017, I look for them to land with a splash and make a quick name for themselves.

Rocky River, East Meck...who knows. Both programs lack any kind of consistency at all so it's hard to know from week-to-week which team will show up. Both have had their moments the last few years...and both have failed to sustain any of that momentum that they built up.

And Garinger is a lost cause. They are the absolute worst 4A program in the state, period, and there's no one else even close. I want to give every kid who ever wears a uniform for Garinger a big hug and a thank you for showing such impressive heart and courage.

#9 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,230 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

Hokie I believe PR is still in the SW4A.

#10 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

Wrigley, work7....

It's hard not to agree with both of you concerning Myers Park. You both make very valid arguments based on factual events in recent seasons. However, I do think without a doubt that Myers Park is probably a different animal this season. I've been calling for this season ('17) to be their year, as last season, minus QB Jack Davidson, most of their playmakers were sophomores. This junior class is one of those once in a generation type classes for Myers Park that has only gotten better.

I certainly feel that Scott Chadwick has proven himself as a top tier coach and he's shown that he can win at every school he's been at, including winning a state championship in Maryland.

By seasons end I do see Butler having the ability to knock off the Mustangs, but with their youth and inexperience and a few legit question marks on both sides of the football, we'll have to play a wait and see approach and watch as these young pups mature into the true Dawgs we assume they'll become.

The other team I think we're forgetting is Hickory Ridge. While I think the adjustment to 4A will be a tough one, they still return a boat load of talent from last years 13-2 season. I could easily see them making some noise. By all means don't sleep on Porter Ridge either, this is certain to be a breakthrough year for them in year two under Mike Hertz.

My thoughts and predictions based on knowledge and facts today.......

1. Myers Park
2. Butler
3. Hickory Ridge
4. Porter Ridge
5. East Meck
6. Independence
7. Rocky River
8. Garinger

What it could also look like....

1. Butler
2. Myers Park
3. East Meck
4. Independence
5. Hickory Ridge
6. Porter Ridge
7. Rocky River
8. Garinger

++1 , I agree with this

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#11 LongJohnThomas

LongJohnThomas

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

Is Porter Ridge still in the conference? Serious question, since they had something like a 1600 ADM last season?

My prediction earlier this year was that Marvin Ridge will finish in the top half of the standings in their first year out of the gate. With Butler and Indy both having question marks and with Marvin Ridge returning a veteran team that was pretty decent last year, the Bulls could not have picked a better year to enter the conference. They will win some games, mark it down. Long term, I think it will be tough for them, but in 2017, I look for them to land with a splash and make a quick name for themselves.

Porter Ridge is still in (that 1600 is the largest they've ever been, btw)

Marvin Ridge is not. You are thinking of the 3rd Ridge... Hickory.

#12 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

Porter Ridge is still in (that 1600 is the largest they've ever been, btw)

Marvin Ridge is not. You are thinking of the 3rd Ridge... Hickory.

Thanks, LJT...went back and fixed my post. I'm pretty sure I'm not done mixing up all of the Ridges for the year, it's an adjustment for us, too! The funny thing is, Union Co is pretty flat to have so many ridges?

I remember PR having ADMs in the 1400s very recently, so I always just assumed that they would drop back to 3A in the next realignment. I'm a little surprised that didn't happen, but the NCHSAA must think that enrollment will continue to rise moving forward, which is perfectly believable given all of the crazy construction going on out there in the countryside right now. It was tough in the past for PR to compete with 2500 ADM schools, but if the enrollment continues to rise, then that imbalance is going to become less and less of a factor over time. As good as PR was with 1600 last year, they could be pretty legitimately scary if they ever have 2600.

I think PR will be knee deep in the battle for 3rd place this season. If they can win a couple of swing games like they did last year, then it's theirs.

#13 LongJohnThomas

LongJohnThomas

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

Thanks, LJT...went back and fixed my post. I'm pretty sure I'm not done mixing up all of the Ridges for the year, it's an adjustment for us, too! The funny thing is, Union Co is pretty flat to have so many ridges?

Lol, I'm not sure there is any elevation change at all between Porter "Ridge" and Sun "Valley".

To your point on size, I think Indian Trail could literally combine SV and PR and still not be as big as Myers Park.  Think about that for a minute!

Looking at the MaxPreps roster PR has some of the biggest linemen they've had in a long time, to go with the 3rd-yr QB.  But losing that big dive back to graduation is going to leave a big gap to fill in their scheme.

JeffChapman-Dynamic