Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Athletic Transfer Rule Changes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Established Member

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

I assume this rule was put into place to allow the public schools to have some of the possible advantages of the private/charter schools?

#2 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

I agree with your assessment. It will be hard for teams to rebuild from years of not doing very well. I think it sucks. At this point with the way things are going at Owen with all the kids transferring to Christ school and such I don't think I will even go back to games. The state will no longer get my money. I believe many more folks will start feeling like I do. If you only have a handful of teams dominating year in and year out I think the state will have to reconsider.

#3 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

I assume this rule was put into place to allow the public schools to have some of the possible advantages of the private/charter schools?

I don't think it had anything st all to do with that. Most of the potential moves will happen in larger urban areas with dense population and schools in close proximity more so than remote schools.

#4 HHS2003

HHS2003

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

I never have understood why a grown man cared where a teenager played ball. If you build it they will come, if your a dumpster fire they wont.

#5 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Look at robbinsville. We are a one school county and most of our land is own by the forest service. Th at means we will always be at a disadvantage. This rule change will make it worse.

#6 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

2003 your wrong.

#7 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

OK here are a couple of thoughts I had after reading above posts:

Firstly if that grown man makes his living coaching teenagers he will most surely care where they go to school.

Secondly it is you're.

#8 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

If you are a fan of a team or a alumni, then you care.

#9 HHS2003

HHS2003

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

I care about my team but if a 16 year old wants to play in a different system or for a different coach who am I to tell him where to play.

#10 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

Interesting debate. One side of the issue is the parent looking to find success for their child and a way to get in college. I think you get found wherever you go to high school with the aid of a coach, scheme at the school, and attending combines/camps. Most parents don't understand how to get their kid consideration. Most coaches don't either. Some coaches absolutely know how and have the relationships.

You are not going to get a QB D1 or D2 offer handing the ball off to a guy in the wishbone. Example: who is going to recruit a QB at Belmont South Point in a redbone option averaging 4 passes a game? Parents of that stud will get their child in a situation where he is slinging the ball at another school. It's a complicated situation is small rural communities. The travel for camps and combines are tough. Very little media coverage is a BIG issue. The old days are gone. Twice the amount of schools. Rarely will a college coach or assistant come to a game to see you live when they are in season as well and they can see hundreds of kids in shorts and t-shirts at camps and combines.

#11 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

By the way, charters are going benefit the most. Large metro areas the second most.

#12 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

I don't tell a kid where to play. A kid does what a kid does. I just think it's impossible for a coach to rebuild a program after a legend for example in Kenny Ford when kids jump ship for greener pastures. In my opinion a kid should play within whatever school district they live. If they move then so be it.

#13 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

I think these private, parochial and charter schools shouldn't be able to raid the public schools like they do. I know other folks have differing opinions. That's the right of those individuals.

#14 CoachG65

CoachG65

Rookie

• Coach
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

Thoughts on this topic from a college coach.

http://footballscoop...-get-recruited/

"Football is a team sport, and there is no individual who is bigger than the next person." - Emmitt Smith​

#15 NENCFootball

NENCFootball

Rookie

• Coach
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

Shouldn't the focus on this matter be pointed on the high school coaches that recruit? I can't blame a kid or parent for trying to 'better' themselves. I can hold accountable a coach that maliciously recruits to get a player(s) to transfer. I have heard of families renting a dual residence just so their kid is in a district. I thought the main goal of any high school coach was to instill good morals and values in the student-athletes they coach. How is cheating the system accomplishing that? How does the coach bench a kid that has worked his butt off with his teammates for years because they have recruited a transfer player that has a better skill set?

As far as combines/camps ... get the athlete to college supported recruited venues. There are way too many free lance recruiting sites and camps that only care about one thing ... how much money they make off your kid. With college coaches having access to multiple online video networks, like Hudl, players will be found. IMO there is no reason to take your 'stud' child to 5 summer camps, costing $125 each, driving 200 miles to get them there, only to have the 'expert' recruiter put the kids name in some database with a profile pic. 

#16 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

Thoughts on this topic from a college coach.

http://footballscoop...-get-recruited/

That's exactly what I have been saying. What does it say to a coach when you are a senior and you transfer to a new school? You will do the same thing to a college if things go south. Loyalty is huge. Besides that, in the real world you better get settled in something or you will never get anywhere. These high school coach's that either recruit or take all these transfers are teaching these kids nothing. That's why I have no respect for our neighboring public school to our west. They have done that crap for years.

#17 gg4bama

gg4bama

JV Team

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:33 PM

Do you have any proof that " neighboring public school" to your west is recruiting?  I doubt it or you would have/should have taken it to the school board.   

#18 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:56 AM

I Know For A Fact That Josh Grant, Jake Knine,and Shane Harper still lived in there homes in the OWEN district when they played for ACR. I know there famalies. That's just to name a few kids from Owen. What about other schools? I know it wasn't just us.

#19 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:01 AM

The argument can be made that all these kids just came to ACR but the coach's there should have told them they must live in his district. I have seen Kenny Ford turn kids away for that reason. These coach's knew exactly where these kids came from.

#20 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:57 AM

I really don't see this as an assistant to Private/charter/magnet schools. It seems to me that this rule has been put in place to level the playing field for public schools. Privates, charters and magna schools can have kids transfer in from other schools in their repectable district. I don't like the fact that kids are transferring here, there, and over yonder, it doesn't promote team unity, and discipline, but its in place now and some schools will benefit from it, others will not.

It does however, give young atheletes the opportunity to move to a place that better fits them, or gives them a better chance to get noticed at the next level without having to succumb to the awful machine of charter schools that is becoming a problem in our state. There are pro's and con's to the situation, but I truly believe it is more for public schools than charters...

Just my own opinion of course.

#21 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:50 AM

please lets not name names unless the kids are graduated. 

And all schools recruit in various ways. winning being the number 1 way anyone recruits. Most of the recruiting that happens in public school is done by the kids and parents, period.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#22 gg4bama

gg4bama

JV Team

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

Owen,  you know that if that the kid still lives in district that Owen would have to sign off on that kid to transfer.  It's called a "schedule C" I believe.  It's happening right now to ACR in baseball. I know you want to think that ACR, Asheville and other county schools recruit but that just isn't so.  If you want to believe that and it makes you feel better then by all means do that.  It is going to take someone that has some charisma and magnetism as well as good football knowledge to get Owen back on track and keep your players from WANTING to transfer.  I personally don't think you have him now. 

#23 Rocket

Rocket

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

The main reason those players are leaving Owen is to re-classify grade levels at a private school and allegedly make them "more college ready" in regards to academics, boarding, etc. It has nothing to do with the current coach at Owen. He started his career at ACR under most of the current ACR staff! GGBAMA you just have sour grapes for whatever reasons.

The agrument can be made about recruiting for Christ School. However, there are more hoops and bounds to cross for public school transfers.

#24 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

please lets not name names unless the kids are graduated.

And all schools recruit in various ways. winning being the number 1 way anyone recruits. Most of the recruiting that happens in public school is done by the kids and parents, period.

All those kids are in there 20's

#25 gg4bama

gg4bama

JV Team

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

I don't give a flying fart where he got his start or who he coached under.  That doesn't mean he is a good head coach.  I know you like him because he was your son's position coach at ACR and that is great.  He coached my son as well at CCMS.  I have no issue with him as a person.  I just don't think he has what it takes to lead Owen out of their current state.  Being a position coach and a head coach are two different beasts all together.  I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this and that's OK.  If everybody agreed all the time or thought the same on everything this old world would be boring. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic