Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest Rivalry

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Big C

Big C

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

In all of North Carolina football history what 2 schools would you think would be the Greatest Rivalry of all time.

#2 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

One rivary game I want to see before they bury me is without a doubt the biggest in all of North Carolina. Over fifty years of massive crowds in a region of small populations.

Pisgah vs Tuscola

#3 Big C

Big C

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

Yeah I heard Pisgah and Tuscola was pretty big, but I also heard Grimsley and Page had a huge rivalry as well.

#4 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,522 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:43 PM

Clearly it's Mooresville vs Lake Norman lol

All kidding aside... for me Richmond/Scotland and Shelby/Crest are the two best

#5 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

Maiden n Newton Conover are big rivals. But I'm with others about going to the Pisgah Tuscola game. Would also like to see Shelby n Crest go at it.

#6 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

Did Shelby use to play Gaffney at one time. It seem like they did years ago. That would be a good contest between the two.

#7 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

Newton-Conover vs Maiden is a huge game. Almost 100 games between them. Maiden leads the series by a little. Blue Devils vs Red Devils with less than 7 miles between the schools. Newton-Conover Red Devils started as the Blue Devils but back in the 20's the uniforms were shipped in the wrong color so they changed their name (so the story goes). Crowds are big but nothing even close to the Haywood County showdown. Usually about 4000-5000.

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:49 PM

Shelby vs Crest is a fun rivalry. Relatives and neighbors talking smack all year long. Cousins on the football field together trying to knock each other silly. The 8000 rabid fans and only two good teeth in the whole stadium. That's why 98champion became a dentist. Potential was too hard to resist.

#9 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

My top 5:

Scotland vs Richmond

Shelby vs Crest

Mooresville vs LKN

Concord vs Al brown

Pisgah vs Tuscola

Honorable Mentions: Smky Mt. vs Franklin

Mooresville vs Hough (underrated n growing)

Butler vs MC (Myabe not a rivalry but always a great game n both teams always win this one!)

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#10 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:54 PM

Also the Shelby/South Point games are good rivals between the two.

#11 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

Like everyone I think Shelby/Crest or Richmond/ Scotland is right up there. I think an underrated one would be Page- Dudley. Catholic and Country Day would be another that isnt mentioned much.  

#12 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,610 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:21 AM

For about six years Butler v Indy was as good as it got. In the mid 1990's WC and Indy had a great run. Both were relatively short lived. Harding v WC and West Meck were huge in the 1970's and before.

#13 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,610 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:22 AM

Concord v AL Brown lost some flavor being the first game of the season.

#14 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

My top 5:

Scotland vs Richmond

Shelby vs Crest

Mooresville vs LKN

Concord vs Al brown

Pisgah vs Tuscola

Honorable Mentions: Smky Mt. vs Franklin

Mooresville vs Hough (underrated n growing)

Butler vs MC (Myabe not a rivalry but always a great game n both teams always win this one!)

Pretty good, but even putting SMHS and Franklin on the list is off. That is a one-sided rivalry with Franklin dominating. Another game that is huge is Swain and Murphy. Generally its for the SMC title and both are title contenders more often than not.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#15 Superkase

Superkase

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

Pretty good, but even putting SMHS and Franklin on the list is off. That is a one-sided rivalry with Franklin dominating. Another game that is huge is Swain and Murphy. Generally its for the SMC title and both are title contenders more often than not.

Agreed.

Smoky-Franklin is a rivalry, and I would love for it to be a real big one, but neither school has been competitive at the same time for a long time (going back to Smoky being Sylva-Webster).  I want to hate the Mustangs, but they have to get good again first.

Swain-Murphy is ever bit as much of a hatefest as any rivalry listed here, but I understand that it won't get much love on a 4A board.  Just know that this game is the sole passion of two small mountain communities.

#16 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

Mitchell and Mountain Heritage deserves a mention.  There are about 33,000 people combined in Mitchell and Yancey counties and I think they had almost 6,000 at a recent game.  That's not quite Pisgah-Tuscola numbers, but not too shabby either.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#17 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

Only why I put Smy Mtn n Franklin was bc one my friends went there n told me stories about the Hatred that they have for one another

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#18 WolfBlood

WolfBlood

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:22 PM

Page vs. Grimsley have never been competitive from a rivalry standpoint. Sure Grimsley has beat Page every once and a long while, but not consistently.

#19 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

Lincolnton n Maiden has been competitive over the years. Last year with Lincolnton being favored to win, Maiden pulls a stunner. You never know what will happen between the two.

#20 1derpop

1derpop

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

Everbody has an opinion,,,, but fact is Kannapolis/Concord is the states longest running rivalry,,, its recognized as one of top 20 rivalries NATIONALLY,,, and will be moved back to final game this season now that both teams are in same 3A league again.

Pisgah/Tuscola would be my 2nd choice for all the same reasons that make Kannapolis/Concord so great.

#21 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

Everbody has an opinion,,,, but fact is Kannapolis/Concord is the states longest running rivalry,,, its recognized as one of top 20 rivalries NATIONALLY,,, and will be moved back to final game this season now that both teams are in same 3A league again.

Pisgah/Tuscola would be my 2nd choice for all the same reasons that make Kannapolis/Concord so great.

Where is this Kannapolis you speak of?

#22 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

Kannapolis vs Concord  No ?  about it

Lincolnton vs East Lincoln- Best game i watch last year. You have to get their at 5:30 to get a good seat

Maiden vs Bandys- these 2 school hate each other

South point vs East Gaston

Hunter Huss vs Ashbrook

Albemarle vs Thomasville- That use to be real classic ,but not any more

#23 SE Parent

SE Parent

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

High Point Andrews and High point Central have had some good ones.

Also back in the day Burlington Cumming and Williams IE Chucky Barnett days.

#24 Livstrng

Livstrng

Established Member

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Page v Grimsley or if the did sorry I didn't see it.  That is the biggest rivalry in the Greensboro /Triad area.  Everyone knows that Grimsley has been down the last few years but every year there is 8K-10k fans at this game.  I think this game started in 1958 the all time attendance record was set back in 1997 when 13,452 fans showed up to watch this game.  A lot of people say Page Dudley and that is a good game but as far as rivalries its Page Grimsley in Greensboro.  

#25 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

Kannapolis/Concord is the states longest running rivalry,,,

Incorrect.  Shelby vs Kings Mountain is the states longest "running" rivalry.  They have played every year since 1926 (the first meeting being in 1923) with the exception of 1943.  The reason they didn't play that year was because Kings Mountain could not field a football team due to all the young men electing to fight in WW II.  We feel that deserves a pass.  

Shelby vs Crest = Me vs my wife.  It gets very personal for a whole lot of people.  The schools are only 4 miles apart.  Usually over 10,000 in attendance some years closer to 15,000. 

Shelby has played Gaffney 16 times since 1921.  The series record is 5-9-2.  We had a 4 game stretch from 1993-1996 and Gaffney had our number every time but the games were very competitive with two being 27-24 and 20-13.

JeffChapman-Dynamic