Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Gillespie steps down at Greensboro Page, heads to Asheboro

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#51 Panther4lyfe

Panther4lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

Well said at @wrigley. I would also say that these parents moving there kids around never buy in to the "program" concept in regards to support and making the environment around the school and program conducive to withstand a Coaching change. I had a conversation last night with regards to the Football Parent interest meetings going on at schools now before the year ends. 95% of those parents attending these meetings you will never see except for if said son is not getting playing time, game night & Senior night......it is consistent and sad you are teaching your kids how to not compete and it spills over into all aspects of life..

So I guess it's obvious Coach G didn't buy into the Page program this season. You don't leave your kids in May. Everyone wants the kids and parents to be loyal but coaches will be the first one to run away to a better opportunity.

#52 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

So I guess it's obvious Coach G didn't buy into the Page program this season. You don't leave your kids in May. Everyone wants the kids and parents to be loyal but coaches will be the first one to run away to a better opportunity.

Laughable.....Guy did 10 years. I dont know what the number is but I bet its REAL low the number of guys that do 10 years at the same school. Meck County has one guy at the 10 year mark.....ONE.  You forget one small part of the coaches job, they can be FIRED at anytime and they dont get a Charlie Strong buyout for 5.2 Million.  Ask Miles Aldridge about loyalty, then try Scott Young.  Any ideas how many jobs for alot more cash a guy like Kevin Gillespie has turned down over the past 10 years??  Bet after 2011 in was a ton.

I buy the argument on guys like Hardin or Jeff Herron in Georgia who stand in front of kids and ask for buy in and are gone in 10 months for the next shiny car but Gillespie hung in for 10 years, had a great run and has never been one of these guys that you hear in the rumor mill with his name in the hat for every job like some of these guys. He gets an offer in May and he is supposed to say sorry....have to be concerned with the kids??  Again LAUGHABLE   

Its public high school football and if the Page administration was blindsided by this then they are idiots. They had to know after 10 years with his track record and with what he graduated that the timing was about right. I bet they they have had a short list in place for his replacement since January and I bet Gillespie helped put that in place knowing this was a possibility. 

#53 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

Coaches get fired and hired all the time. The best player should play no matter what school they are at. Who cares if the kid been there three years and another kid transfers in and takes his job. Welcome to the real world. You sound like one of the parents that donates money and expect there child to play.

Your statement on "who I sound like" as compared to who I actually am is about as far off as possible. My post was for the correlation between the two situations.

Why would you leave a school that you have had success at for three years because the coach left? Is there somewhere nearby that will give him a better opportunity?
If his football skills are expected to improve but his education / college qualifying drops was it a wise move?
When Newsome left Butler there were no issues with Hales taking over. The strong coaches have a system in place that should not totally erode in one year.

If I am a coach I prefer to not have a player come into my program late if the program is winning big. One bad attitude can drag you down. We discussed it on this board with MC. When players come for their benefit over the team it usually does not work out great but who cares as long as "I get mine".

#54 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

In business or a government job you look after those with the same last name on their shirt/jersey. Team Gillespie is based at home. Please help me if I am wrong. A coach told me last week that North Carolina teachers who begin next year Will Not have the same retirement plan as before. He said they will go into a 401K setting just like the business sector. Add all they had taken away years ago with increases for masters degrees and national board certification and who in the heck would even entertain teaching now.

#55 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

Perhaps I don't understand the dilemma but don't the parents and kids have the exact same option as Mr. Gillespie?? Are They not free to move to any school district they choose and play football or sing in the choir or whatever they want?? Is there some law restricting movement in Guilford county I am unaware of?

#56 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Ten years at the same place is committed for today's standards. Far and beyond what has been happening as of late.

#57 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

Been there ten years. Three state title games and one title.
Will increase his pay by at least 20% with much better working conditions. This also increases his retirement.

#58 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

And again.......could have been fired at anytime for any reason without a whiff of this loyalty that is supposed to exists. Joe Evans went 12-1 for Indy in 2014 and was fired in March. Miles Aldridge was fired 3 weeks ago. Scott Young was fired one week before the season began.....Talk to me again about that loyalty thing.  

#59 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:04 PM

How long should he have stayed to prove his loyalty?

Most people in the profession think Gillespie and his staff have did an excellent job. Summers was a special player but the o line and d front were pretty strong, also.

#60 Kevin H

Kevin H

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

I see this fella Ted Roe is at it again just on a different site...He is doing everything he can to muddy the waters...Sounds like most posters on here know Coach G for who he really is, which is a good coach, a good family man, and a great friend...

I coached with him on the 2011 team and coached with him for 7 years before leaving for Florida...Your comments about James Summers calling his own shots and putting himself in on defense are one of the most delusional things that I've ever seen...I was in on every single call and pretty much remember every single play that was called, and I can assure you James did not call his own number...James did however take over the game and have some spectacular plays, because the kid was just a man among boys out there...Dont forget that he had some pretty good players playing along side him as well...James also would go in at free safety whenever it was 3rd and long and obvious passing situations...This substitution was called by Coach Weeks (the awesome defensive coordinator that we had)...Your comments Ted Roe are pretty comical though...The more you speak (type), the more it stinks like doo doo...Dude, if you want to take your kid to get more playing time some where else, then go...If not, then help your kid better...Coach G is one of the most fair coaches that I've ever been around...Even to the point of sitting D1 level athletes during crucial games for disciplinary issues...I've seen it time and time again while i was there...He even suspended a D1 kid who went to the University of California (wont mention the kids name) from the team, because the kid consistently showed up late to practice or missed practice...How many coaches just wash their hands of a D1 caliber athlete when they dont conform to team rules?..Not too many coaches will...Heck, James even had to sit for whole half playing Pinecrest in the 1st round...The NC State coaches who were recruiting him thought it would be a good idea for James to skip the playoffs to get ready for the upcoming college season which made James miss a practice.  Coach G sat James for team rules...How many coaches do this???..There are some great guys (coaches) there in North Carolina who would also, but for you to keep spewing at the mouth and not know what you are talking about is asinine...Its either that or you are having too many sips on the ole bourbon while you are typing...

Ted Roe, I'll be glad to have a conversation with you any day...I'll defend Coach G any day as well...He is the best high school head coach that I've been around thus far...Asheboro is getting a great man and a great coach...Leaving Page wasn't an easy decision for him...Heck, the papers even said it took three times before they could finally come up with the right deal to get him to leave, which was a true statement...He had no intentions of leaving that program as I just met with him in Feb at a clinic in Orlando...All he talked about was the players that he had coming up and how excited he was to see them take over...If he had any plans of leaving, I'm pretty sure he would have mentioned it...He was there for 11 years, and he gave everything he had to that program...Don't try to diminish the accomplishments that he had, because it just makes you look like a fool...Any more questions you need to know Teddy Roe?

#61 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

More comedy. Let me get this right.....He should have stayed and showed loyalty to the kids but he was a shitty coach and the kids won all the games by themselves??? SO THEN WHY WOULD YOU WANT HIM TO STAY???

Summers was special. Probably top 10 that I have seen in NC but that was a well coached....hard nosed squad that gave no quarter. You dont come back on Butler like they did in Rd 3 that year without very strong coaching and culture.

#62 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

I see this fella Ted Roe is at it again just on a different site...He is doing everything he can to muddy the waters...Sounds like most posters on here know Coach G for who he really is, which is a good coach, a good family man, and a great friend...

I coached with him on the 2011 team and coached with him for 7 years before leaving for Florida...Your comments about James Summers calling his own shots and putting himself in on defense are one of the most delusional things that I've ever seen...I was in on every single call and pretty much remember every single play that was called, and I can assure you James did not call his own number...James did however take over the game and have some spectacular plays, because the kid was just a man among boys out there...Dont forget that he had some pretty good players playing along side him as well...James also would go in at free safety whenever it was 3rd and long and obvious passing situations...This substitution was called by Coach Weeks (the awesome defensive coordinator that we had)...Your comments Ted Roe are pretty comical though...The more you speak (type), the more it stinks like doo doo...Dude, if you want to take your kid to get more playing time some where else, then go...If not, then help your kid better...Coach G is one of the most fair coaches that I've ever been around...Even to the point of sitting D1 level athletes during crucial games for disciplinary issues...I've seen it time and time again while i was there...He even suspended a D1 kid who went to the University of California (wont mention the kids name) from the team, because the kid consistently showed up late to practice or missed practice...How many coaches just wash their hands of a D1 caliber athlete when they dont conform to team rules?..Not too many coaches will...Heck, James even had to sit for whole half playing Pinecrest in the 1st round...The NC State coaches who were recruiting him thought it would be a good idea for James to skip the playoffs to get ready for the upcoming college season which made James miss a practice.  Coach G sat James for team rules...How many coaches do this???..There are some great guys (coaches) there in North Carolina who would also, but for you to keep spewing at the mouth and not know what you are talking about is asinine...Its either that or you are having too many sips on the ole bourbon while you are typing...

Ted Roe, I'll be glad to have a conversation with you any day...I'll defend Coach G any day as well...He is the best high school head coach that I've been around thus far...Asheboro is getting a great man and a great coach...Leaving Page wasn't an easy decision for him...Heck, the papers even said it took three times before they could finally come up with the right deal to get him to leave, which was a true statement...He had no intentions of leaving that program as I just met with him in Feb at a clinic in Orlando...All he talked about was the players that he had coming up and how excited he was to see them take over...If he had any plans of leaving, I'm pretty sure he would have mentioned it...He was there for 11 years, and he gave everything he had to that program...Don't try to diminish the accomplishments that he had, because it just makes you look like a fool...Any more questions you need to know Teddy Roe?

I guess that sort of finishes that debate  :)

#63 PureBull

PureBull

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:27 PM

Ted is at it again. Glad someone with actual knowledge set the record straight. Best of luck to Coach G as well as the Pirate program. They will find a worthy replacement.

#64 BlackKnightNut

BlackKnightNut

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

Good lord, that is some of the worst trolling I have ever seen... You don't truly believe what you're typing do you? If so, I feel sorry for you. Research and facts will help you go a long way.

#65 CoachG

CoachG

JV Team

• Coach
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:14 AM

Have you worked at one job all your life? Would you turn down a huge pay increase and better working conditions? He gave Page 10 years and 3 titles. They were extremely well coached, talented or not. Talent needs coaching to win titles. Now, get over it and act like an adult living in the real world.

#66 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

Well most college football players barely remain in college regardless of high schools.

#67 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

I'm looking forward few years from now when Montgomery Central shows Asheboro who the top dog in the area really is. In my opinion West would beat them now including last several years. Good luck to the Comes on the other hand look forward to the future

#68 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

*Comets

#69 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

You really have to be a special kind of ignorant to first come on here and whine because he left but then tell everyone how terrible of a coach he was. Then to put the icing on the cake tell us he was a man with no character. Truly amazing.

#70 Page Pirates 1989

Page Pirates 1989

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

Page should be naming a new coach real soon per greensborosports.com writer.

#71 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,992 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

Page should be naming a new coach real soon per greensborosports.com writer.

I could post it but I'll refrain.

#72 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

Tease

#73 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

So then why even post this? 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#74 Page Pirates 1989

Page Pirates 1989

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

I hope it's a coach with plenty of experience. Go Pirates!

#75 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

So anything? 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence