Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Gillespie steps down at Greensboro Page, heads to Asheboro

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#26 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

NF you are right I do not see any Forsyth coaches leaving and it is a pay cut.  Also you are correct on what coaches want or would like to have this is why I can see more and more coaches going after the Asheboro's Lexngton's ect 

#27 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

Btango hit it on the head. Page is a great job, but the possibility of 12-month pay(which I am not sure, but definitely probably 11 months), one Central Office, your middle schools feed your school, you can actually put your offense and defense scheme on the middle school level. It is a reason Newsome left Butler. That situation was much better than the one at Page. Newsome would have had multiple more championships.

It is only a few places where you can get the South Carolina treatment and this is one of them. Mooresville is another, Richmond County, and Scotland County to name a few. Posters will never understand that side of what coaches want.

What coaches want in the state of NC?

12 month contract if that is possible
A booster Club that supports the program
A feeder school that you can coach the coaches
A school that hires a football coach as teacher when needed
Not to teach a FULL LOAD of classes
Put as Many football kids in weight room as possible
A yearly football budget

Saying all this, I do not see anyone HCs on Chris List from the 4A programs that would leave at this point for Page job. Actually, the Forsyth Coaches would take a pay cut for that job. I do not see a few of the 3A coaches on the list leaving. The Alamance County boys do not leave town, they should, but for some reason, even the assistant coaches do not chase that paycheck. Teaching or coaching in Greensboro or Durham without moving would be a pay increase.

Asheboro has the talent to knock on the 3A door each year. They got the kids and I am talking those 5'10ish kids that can run.

Well said

#28 nsidethgame

nsidethgame

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

Asheboro has been a 12 month paid position since the Lee J Stone era. 

So these are perks to that job: 12 mo teacher pay, coaching supplement, no field maintenance, only high school in system. Makes it an attractive job. The superintendent Dr Worrell was the principal at Page who hired Gillespie, so there is your connection.

#29 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Great hire! Smart job change!

#30 PrinceOfDudley

PrinceOfDudley

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Coach G cashes in if he gets the perks that NF is suggesting. Timing is interesting....

I was thinking to myself Brodowicz might take a look here but Footsoldier would kill me. Page should give Flowers a look over.

The Dudley Panthers

State Championships

Dboyz Football: 1951, 1966 (co-champs), 2007, 2008, 2013, 2016
Panthers Basketball: 1996, 2005, 2006

Pantherettes Basketball: 2009

#31 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

Coach G cashes in if he gets the perks that NF is suggesting. Timing is interesting....

I was thinking to myself Brodowicz might take a look here but Footsoldier would kill me. Page should give Flowers a look over.

Be the perfect spot for Flowers.   

#32 PrinceOfDudley

PrinceOfDudley

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

Yeah man, about as crazy as Willert leaving EF at this point to come over to Page. Would be a lateral move for him.

The Dudley Panthers

State Championships

Dboyz Football: 1951, 1966 (co-champs), 2007, 2008, 2013, 2016
Panthers Basketball: 1996, 2005, 2006

Pantherettes Basketball: 2009

#33 SE Parent

SE Parent

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

Asheboro has a pretty cool stadium.  No track so the bleachers are right on the field.  Its an old school and has a lot of history.  Page itself does too!  However, when playing Page even in their great seasons of late the stands didn't seem packed. You would think when Dudley or SEG rolled into Pirate country it would be standing room only but it really wasn't.

It looked like Dudley and SEG brought just as many to the game.  Page fans are dedicated but they don't have the community following like Dudley. 

Good luck to coach G and Page as well.

Asheboro will rise to the top.

#34 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

I think Asheboro will be very good but will they be a player?  I think they will win games and go a few rounds in the playoffs depending if they are Big or little 3A and if they are East or West but Gillespie is one heck of a coach so if I am an Asheboro fan or player I am happy with this hire 

#35 Livstrng

Livstrng

Established Member

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:18 PM

Is there any assistant on staff that could be considered for this job or will they all follow Coach G to Asheboro?  If the new HC has to bring in an entire new staff Page could be in trouble this late in the Spring.  

#36 Panther4lyfe

Panther4lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:33 AM

When coaches make moves this late in the game, student athletes should be able to transfer without penalty. Coach G made a business decision. Parents should be able to do the same for their kids.

#37 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

When coaches make moves this late in the game, student athletes should be able to transfer without penalty. Coach G made a business decision. Parents should be able to do the same for their kids.

Devil's Advocate argument:
Player A now transfers to another school when semester completed. Player B is not equal in talent but due to being the system three years he is close to equal. He is now going to split playing time at this position and another position he has not played at. What is fair to player A is not fair to player B.

#38 warrior1

warrior1

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

That is about the dumbest post I've seen concerning high school sports in a long time. Simple fix either play for the new coach or don't.

#39 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

Late in the game??  He coached there for 10 years!!  PArents have the ability to do whatever they want for their kid. Pick up and move to another school district or find a private or parochial that fits his or her needs.  SImple. 

I am all for parents having options and getting your kid in the best possible situation but our mentality on this stuff has truly gotten crazy. ITS HIGH SCHOOL!!  We have parents picking up and moving 2,3,4 and even 5 times in a kids 4 years in high school because they dont like how many touches little Johnny gets or they dont like the way little Johnny was treated at practice.......

Pick a good school district and put your kid in class and focus on what is important. I am sure Coach Gillespie is a great coach but lets get some perspective. He isnt Nick Saban. I am sure Page will hire a quality coach and the world wont collapse.  

#40 Creekprogram

Creekprogram

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

Late in the game??  He coached there for 10 years!!  PArents have the ability to do whatever they want for their kid. Pick up and move to another school district or find a private or parochial that fits his or her needs.  SImple. 

I am all for parents having options and getting your kid in the best possible situation but our mentality on this stuff has truly gotten crazy. ITS HIGH SCHOOL!!  We have parents picking up and moving 2,3,4 and even 5 times in a kids 4 years in high school because they dont like how many touches little Johnny gets or they dont like the way little Johnny was treated at practice.......

Pick a good school district and put your kid in class and focus on what is important. I am sure Coach Gillespie is a great coach but lets get some perspective. He isnt Nick Saban. I am sure Page will hire a quality coach and the world wont collapse.  

Well said at @wrigley.  I would also say that these parents moving there kids around never buy in to the "program" concept in regards to support and making the environment around the school and program conducive to withstand a Coaching change.  I had a conversation last night with regards to the Football Parent interest meetings going on at schools now before the year ends.  95% of those parents attending these meetings you will never see except for if said son is not getting playing time, game night & Senior night......it is consistent and sad you are teaching your kids how to not compete and it spills over into all aspects of life..

#41 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

Amen

#42 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

That is about the dumbest post I've seen concerning high school sports in a long time. Simple fix either play for the new coach or don't.

But with new NCHSAA transfer rule they can go whenever,wherever they want without penalty.

Well once.

#43 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

Welcome to Forsyth County 

#44 Panther4lyfe

Panther4lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

Devil's Advocate argument:
Player A now transfers to another school when semester completed. Player B is not equal in talent but due to being the system three years he is close to equal. He is now going to split playing time at this position and another position he has not played at. What is fair to player A is not fair to player B.

Coaches get fired and hired all the time. The best player should play no matter what school they are at. Who cares if the kid been there three years and another kid transfers in and takes his job. Welcome to the real world. You sound like one of the parents that donates money and expect there child to play.

#45 Panther4lyfe

Panther4lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

Well said at @wrigley. I would also say that these parents moving there kids around never buy in to the "program" concept in regards to support and making the environment around the school and program conducive to withstand a Coaching change. I had a conversation last night with regards to the Football Parent interest meetings going on at schools now before the year ends. 95% of those parents attending these meetings you will never see except for if said son is not getting playing time, game night & Senior night......it is consistent and sad you are teaching your kids how to not compete and it spills over into all aspects of life..

So I guess it's obvious Coach G didn't buy into the Page program this season. You don't leave your kids in May. Everyone wants the kids and parents to be loyal but coaches will be the first one to run away to a better opportunity.

#46 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

So I guess it's obvious Coach G didn't buy into the Page program this season. You don't leave your kids in May. Everyone wants the kids and parents to be loyal but coaches will be the first one to run away to a better opportunity.

Laughable.....Guy did 10 years. I dont know what the number is but I bet its REAL low the number of guys that do 10 years at the same school. Meck County has one guy at the 10 year mark.....ONE.  You forget one small part of the coaches job, they can be FIRED at anytime and they dont get a Charlie Strong buyout for 5.2 Million.  Ask Miles Aldridge about loyalty, then try Scott Young.  Any ideas how many jobs for alot more cash a guy like Kevin Gillespie has turned down over the past 10 years??  Bet after 2011 in was a ton.

I buy the argument on guys like Hardin or Jeff Herron in Georgia who stand in front of kids and ask for buy in and are gone in 10 months for the next shiny car but Gillespie hung in for 10 years, had a great run and has never been one of these guys that you hear in the rumor mill with his name in the hat for every job like some of these guys. He gets an offer in May and he is supposed to say sorry....have to be concerned with the kids??  Again LAUGHABLE   

Its public high school football and if the Page administration was blindsided by this then they are idiots. They had to know after 10 years with his track record and with what he graduated that the timing was about right. I bet they they have had a short list in place for his replacement since January and I bet Gillespie helped put that in place knowing this was a possibility. 

#47 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

Coaches get fired and hired all the time. The best player should play no matter what school they are at. Who cares if the kid been there three years and another kid transfers in and takes his job. Welcome to the real world. You sound like one of the parents that donates money and expect there child to play.

Your statement on "who I sound like" as compared to who I actually am is about as far off as possible. My post was for the correlation between the two situations.

Why would you leave a school that you have had success at for three years because the coach left? Is there somewhere nearby that will give him a better opportunity?
If his football skills are expected to improve but his education / college qualifying drops was it a wise move?
When Newsome left Butler there were no issues with Hales taking over. The strong coaches have a system in place that should not totally erode in one year.

If I am a coach I prefer to not have a player come into my program late if the program is winning big. One bad attitude can drag you down. We discussed it on this board with MC. When players come for their benefit over the team it usually does not work out great but who cares as long as "I get mine".

#48 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

In business or a government job you look after those with the same last name on their shirt/jersey. Team Gillespie is based at home. Please help me if I am wrong. A coach told me last week that North Carolina teachers who begin next year Will Not have the same retirement plan as before. He said they will go into a 401K setting just like the business sector. Add all they had taken away years ago with increases for masters degrees and national board certification and who in the heck would even entertain teaching now.

#49 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

Perhaps I don't understand the dilemma but don't the parents and kids have the exact same option as Mr. Gillespie?? Are They not free to move to any school district they choose and play football or sing in the choir or whatever they want?? Is there some law restricting movement in Guilford county I am unaware of?

#50 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Ten years at the same place is committed for today's standards. Far and beyond what has been happening as of late.

JeffChapman-Dynamic