Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Gillespie steps down at Greensboro Page, heads to Asheboro

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

Link: CarolinaPreps.com - Kevin Gillespie steps down at Greensboro Page

Kevin Gillespie has stepped down at Greensboro Page to take over at Asheboro.  Longtime defensive coordinator Norman Weeks is also expected to join him.  Gillespie won the 2011 4AA title at Page and led the Pirates to runner-up positions in 2015 &16. 

He posted a 101-45 record at Page and 137-71 overall record which included five seasons at Trinity. 

Page is already in the process of seeking a replacement, I anticipate them to reach out to several top prospects this weekend. 

#2 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

Wow......

#3 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

I've already started working on a list of who I would think could be the top candidates. Being a top school and knowing the AD as well as I do, I can see them going after the best and biggest coach they could get, and with all they have to offer, even this late in the game I think they'll have some choices.

1. Todd Willert (East Forsyth)
2. Josh McGee (Reagan)
3. Adrian Snow (West Forsyth)
4. Chris Metzger (Pinecrest)
5. Jared Rofles (NW Guilford)
6. Randy Ragland (Middle Creek)
7. David Johnson (Cuthbertson)
8. Sam Griner (Harding)
9. Joe Nixon (West Rowan)
10. Chuck Henderson (Lexington)
11. Will Orbin (Louisburg College)
12. Jeremy Buck (Heritage OC)
13. Joe Evans (Myers Park Asst)
14. Jason Battle (Rocky Mount)
15. Maurice Flowers (Fayetteville State)
16. Tom Harper (North Iredell DC)
17. Luke Little (Whiteville)
18. Ryan Habich (Watauga)
19. Steve Burdeau (Richmond Asst)
20. Anthony Timmons (Knightdale)
21. Greg Lloyd (Kings Mountain)
22. Daryl Brown (Grimsley)
23. Larry Brock (North Brunswick)
24. Jeff Snuffer (Western Alamance)
25. Patrick Stokes (Eastern Alamance DC)
26. Steve Roberson (Westover)
27. Chris Adams (Ledford)
28. Shane Handy (Randleman)
29. Rob McNeely (Lake Norman)
30. Josh Resignalo (High Country Grizzlies Arena HC, former Page asst.)
31. Tripp Stone (Mallard Creek DC)
32. Aaron Beal (East Forsyth Asst)
33. Kevin Wallace (Glenn OC)
34. Vance Hanner (Former E. Davidson HC)
35. Wilson Helms (Rolesville HC)
36. Eric Rainey (SW Guilford HC)
37. Tony Aguilar (Eastern Alamance Asst)
38. Tommy Norwood (Ragsdale HC)
39. John Patterson (Andrews HC)
40. Rodney McCoy (Former Andrews HC)

#4 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

WHOA!  Awesome hire for A-town.

#5 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

Yikes. I bet there is a doozy of a story behind this move. Talk about trading in your Cadillac for a Chevy Cruze...

#6 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

Yikes. I bet there is a doozy of a story behind this move. Talk about trading in your Cadillac for a Chevy Cruze...

Who knows. Deal may have been pretty sweet for him to leave a well-established program that will be there most years in Page for Asheboro.

#7 Big

Big

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

Wow Chris...  I'm surprised you didn't list Jimmy Teague or Doug Robertson.  I guess you are suggesting that they are "comfortable and happy "in their current positions

#8 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

Wow Chris... I'm surprised you didn't list Jimmy Teague or Doug Robertson. I guess you are suggesting that they are "comfortable and happy "in their current positions

I didn't think either would be interested. Of course I'd hire them but both are already going to compete for a title this year.

#9 cltfootball

cltfootball

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

Miles Aldridge?

#10 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

Link: CarolinaPreps.com - Kevin Gillespie steps down at Greensboro Page

Kevin Gillespie has stepped down at Greensboro Page to take over at Asheboro. Longtime defensive coordinator Norman Weeks is also expected to join him. Gillespie won the 2011 4AA title at Page and led the Pirates to runner-up positions in 2015 &16.

He posted a 101-45 record at Page and 137-71 overall record which included five seasons at Trinity.

Page is already in the process of seeking a replacement, I anticipate them to reach out to several top prospects this weekend.

What year did he start at Page?

#11 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

What year did he start at Page?

#12 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:15 PM

10 years. Great run.       I am sure he feels like his last game got away from him a bit. Still though 3 title appearances and one title pretty solid. 2011 season was one to remember for Pirates fans. Slayed two dragons in back to back weekends. I still get a little woozy when I walk into Kirby.

Wish him well.

#13 Livstrng

Livstrng

Established Member

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

I like the list Chris....  Is there anyway that Todd Willert would go from East Forsyth a program he's built from the ground up to Page?  I think that would be a tough deal to seal for Rusty Lee at Page.  I think Willert would be an amazing fit for Page.  He's done a great job building East into a title contending team and does a great job getting his kids to the next level.  I think that McGee would be a great hire.  Proven he can win conference titles with lesser talent.  He has to be the favorite for this job in my mind.... There is no way Coach Snow is leaving West with the team he has coming up this year.  I don't think Jared Rolfes at NW Guilford would be a good hire for Page.  NW has kind of taken a step back since his staff took over at NW.  

Now if we are talking about Assistants.  I would have said OC Kevin Wallace would be a good choice but I don't think he's going anywhere after he left Glenn to take the OC job at West Forsyth.  I really like Tripp Stone DC at Mallard Creek and Aaron Beal DC at East Forsyth.  Both are young coaches and have put together great defenses at both schools.  I just don't think Page will go after someone with no Head Coaching experience.  

#14 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

Wow. This is a major shake up this late in the spring. Must be a great deal indeed. No way they hire a guy with no HC experience. Page will get a top notch coach with a proven record. Unless, they can't give him the perks he currently has at his school. Only way I can see Gillespie leaving Page for another in state school is the perks of the job. Be interesting to see what happens next.

#15 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,313 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

Asheboro is a one high school system, The city is not part of the county system. That usually translates to better pay with more perks without the red tape,

I have thought the Blue Comet program has the potential to compete deep in the 3A playoffs.

#16 Big

Big

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

I went to see some of those big games at Page over the last 6-7 years.  They seem to find a way to win, even against teams picked to beat them by the experts.  Their kids just seem tough, hard-nose and physical.  I saw Page play some before Gillespie and you could see the huge change.  Asheboro has had some success over the years, but haven't done much in the playoffs.  I would say that the Page-Butler game was the best high school football game I have ever seen.  

#17 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

Why not just name every coach in the state while you're at it. I get a list of 10 or even 15 but 40? Come on. 

Anyways, puzzled as to why he'd leave Page for Asheboro who has been good but hasn't really been elite. Only two 10 win seasons in the last 10 years. Page will get some top notch guys applying for that job for sure though. If Gillespie can bring an assistant or two over with him that'll help quite a bit. 

Also 40 names and no Scott Young? 3x state champ coach. Better coach than well over half these guys

So...

Add another name to list?

#18 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:48 PM

Why not just name every coach in the state while you're at it. I get a list of 10 or even 15 but 40? Come on. 

Anyways, puzzled as to why he'd leave Page for Asheboro who has been good but hasn't really been elite. Only two 10 win seasons in the last 10 years. Page will get some top notch guys applying for that job for sure though. If Gillespie can bring an assistant or two over with him that'll help quite a bit. 

CatholicCougs14

I am not sure why he would leave unless he felt it was time to move elsewhere? Or money, money always an incentive.

I saw where since 2006 Asheboro has had only 2 10 win seasons (06 and 15). But they sandwiched that 15 season with 9 win ones in 14 and 16. That's 28 wins last 3 so maybe he thinks he has something to work with? I am guessing along with you.

Oh since 2006 he had 4 10 win seasons at Page as well as 2 9 win campaigns in 08 and 09.

Randolph county could be an interesting place next year.

Now if Eastern Randolph would make an announcement...

#19 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,313 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:14 AM

Asheboro is a single high school system. City schools are not part of the Randolph County system. This can be a huge advantage and allows for the system to deviate pay to the HC without giving a raise to all others.

Have heard Scott Young has been in the mix for some jobs but not sure how it played out or the interest from either party.

#20 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:15 AM

What I meant was Asheboro is not a sexy pick. 9 wins is very good but not many across the state saw them as a destination for a guy like Gillespie. He will win there though, theyre the top dog in Randolph County if they weren't already

I was trying to agree with you. May not have come across that way.

As far as Asheboro being the top dog, yeah as the one of only two 3A schools they have enjoyed a lot of success in Randolph county the last few years. Their ADM numbers of 1351 are around 300 more than SWR (the other 3A team in county) and 500 more than most of the 2A schools. 

#21 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:17 AM

What I meant was Asheboro is not a sexy pick. 9 wins is very good but not many across the state saw them as a destination for a guy like Gillespie. He will win there though, theyre the top dog in Randolph County if they weren't already

Sexy means different things to different people. How many truly destination jobs are there in NC?? No more than a handful and even they come with a downside. If its a money play for truly life altering money then you are picking up your family and moving to South Carolina, Georgia, Texas etc....If that isnt an option for you then it becomes about what kind of community you want to live in, teaching load,ability to get and keep assistants, facilities, relationship with principal/AD, maybe a little more cash. I dont know much about Page but I am guessing that working in the Guilford county schools is no picnic. 

Mr. Gillespie looks to be early 40's??  Time in your life when you start thinking about the next chapter. Smaller community, one school system, much more rural but still with an excellent opportunity to win big. Could be very sexy to some. 

#22 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:33 AM

Sexy means different things to different people. How many truly destination jobs are there in NC?? No more than a handful and even they come with a downside. If its a money play for truly life altering money then you are picking up your family and moving to South Carolina, Georgia, Texas etc....If that isnt an option for you then it becomes about what kind of community you want to live in, teaching load,ability to get and keep assistants, facilities, relationship with principal/AD, maybe a little more cash. I dont know much about Page but I am guessing that working in the Guilford county schools is no picnic. 

Mr. Gillespie looks to be early 40's??  Time in your life when you start thinking about the next chapter. Smaller community, one school system, much more rural but still with an excellent opportunity to win big. Could be very sexy to some. 

Compared to Greensboro I guess Asheboro is considered rural.

Where I live we call it a metropolis.

#23 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

Compared to Greensboro I guess Asheboro is considered rural.

Where I live we call it a metropolis.

25K people is very small to me but I will admit I know little about it. I know there is a Zoo there ( Love Zoo's, big Zebra guy) and I know I have played golf in and around Asheboro on several occasions. 

#24 Nipit

Nipit

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:46 AM

Chris does a great job of promoting the coaches he thinks are possible good fits for certain situations.  Maybe 40 is a long list of coaches who he knows are interested.  What does it hurt to put their name out there.  Page is a great job.  Asheboro is a great job.  I think after ten years, the challenge of a new environment and different opponents is attractive to a successful coach.  Of the names listed, I like about 16 of them as good fits...don't know about 20 of them.  I bet you this.  Chris has the next coach listed in the mix.

#25 NF_VIKINGSFB

NF_VIKINGSFB

• Coach
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

Asheboro is a one high school system, The city is not part of the county system. That usually translates to better pay with more perks without the red tape,

I have thought the Blue Comet program has the potential to compete deep in the 3A playoffs.

Btango hit it on the head.  Page is a great job, but the possibility of 12-month pay(which I am not sure, but definitely probably 11 months), one Central Office, your middle schools feed your school, you can actually put your offense and defense scheme on the middle school level.  It is a reason Newsome left Butler.  That situation was much better than the one at Page.  Newsome would have had multiple more championships.

It is only a few places where you can get the South Carolina treatment and this is one of them.  Mooresville is another, Richmond County, and Scotland County to name a few.  Posters will never understand that side of what coaches want.

What coaches want in the state of NC? 

12 month contract if that is possible

A booster Club that supports the program

A feeder school that you can coach the coaches

A school that hires a football coach as teacher when needed

Not to teach a FULL LOAD of classes

Put as Many football kids in weight room as possible

A yearly football budget

Saying all this, I do not see anyone HCs on Chris List from the 4A programs that would leave at this point for Page job.  Actually, the Forsyth Coaches would take a pay cut for that job.  I do not see a few of the 3A coaches on the list leaving.  The Alamance County boys do not leave town, they should, but for some reason, even the assistant coaches do not chase that paycheck.  Teaching or coaching in Greensboro or Durham without moving would be a pay increase.

Asheboro has the talent to knock on the 3A door each year.  They got the kids and I am talking those 5'10ish kids that can run.

JeffChapman-Dynamic