Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

South Caldwell Coach Steps Down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

http://860wacb.com/s...ach-steps-down/

#2 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Maybe smooth guy will get this job sounds like he was an awesome coach and he works in Hickory 

#3 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

2016 was a Giant thud after some great seasons under Butch Carter.  I saw them play early in the season and frankly it wasn't pretty.  They did play a large group of underclassmen including a freshman at Qb so it would be logical to say they stand to improve . 

#4 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

Never expected the coach to stay at South Caldwell. Almost didn't commit to the job before moving from Minnesota or somewhere around that Midwest region. Hire Mike Helms. I think Helm's is teaching at Hickory's Grandview Middle School. Problem is South has had two good playoff runs in the history of school. They have some athletic talent but not enough speed to be a successful playoff team. Great school for someone who wants kids without behavior issues. Very good fan base that is not after the coaches head.

#5 HHS2003

HHS2003

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

A lot of those "great" seasons consisted of a 4A team pushing around 2A teams only to get a giant thud in the 1st round of the playoffs.

#6 heelyeah22

heelyeah22

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

Always with the 4A team playing the 2A team argument. Is that not worn out? I mean that argument is one that is only used by people too lazy to look at facts. 2A schools like Maiden and Hibriten have 5X more talent then South. More kids does not mean more talent. That argument would mean that South should be favored over Shelby? Or Charlotte Catholic at 3A? It's just not a good argument. Yes, South has had some talent over the years but in no way do they have the amount of talent that some of these 2A or 3A schools have had. Some people just want to crack on them simply because they don't like them and that's fine. I just know the amount of talent at these schools isn't based of how many students attend. Plus, you play in the conference they put you in. Not their fault the closest 4A schools now are Mcdowell and Charlotte area teams.

But anyways, on to the original topic. South isn't looking for a coach. They have their guy and it's from within. Marc Kirkpatrick who was the defensive coordinator under Carter for around 15 years has the interim title now. I would expect that interim to come off very soon. He has already put together a nice staff around him. I would expect them to go back to what they are capable of which is good defense and more ball control on offense. I don't think it will be 95% run anymore. I think they will throw it more but more balanced then they were when Carter was here. AC people now get to see that no matter the QB, you aren't going to see the ball in the air under Carter. But I would expect South to turn it around and become competitive again this year. Hopeful that they will anyways.

#7 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

South has talent. Maiden does more with less. So does Hibriten. Go to a baseball, basketball, or wrestling match. Its clear as day. They just do not come out for football at South. Never have. Strength is in numbers. More numbers, more chances of success. Otherwise there would be no classifications, right.

Kirkpatrick is a good name for a coach for South Caldwell. Brings back memories of a QB who lead a very good team in the early years of South Caldwell existence. Good kids, good fans, family oriented community. These would draw me to coach at a place. Less drama means a more meaningful life. Best of luck to Kirpatrick.

JeffChapman-Dynamic