Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

MAX Prep Rankings

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

Brian Simmons has details on his life on his site. Born in Kinston, East Duplin High grad, and NC State grad. Works in Raleigh as a paralegal. He is the best I have seen at rankings and predictions on high school football. I remember some threads on his explanations on calculations. Seems he had a good vision on ranking football.

#27 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:25 PM

I like Simmons, also. Had him confused with Drew Pasteur. Drew is a college rofessor in Ohio. Was at NC State.

#28 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

Here is the problem with using just a computer and having margin of victory as part of the ranking system. I have seen plenty of 24-7 games where the winning team flat out dominated the losing team. Conversely 54-35 games that were fairly evenly matched. All rankings being equal a computer   will see the 19 point win as better than the 17 point win.

A team like Wake Forest gets hurt by margin of victory because they are a run the ball, play defense and shorten the game type of team. Teams like Middlecreek who throw it around and have huge blowouts are liked by the computers.

#29 Chopper747

Chopper747

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

Not a fan period. The one thing they did state at the NCHSAA meeting was that margin of victory is included in the algorithm, which indirectly means that running up the score and embarrassing teams is accepted and required for advancement in their rankings.

Not a fan of preaching sportsmanship a mandating a running clock on one hand yet having margin of victory and running it up a factor in their own endorsed ranking system.

I don't care how good your algorithm is, a system based solely on numbers coming from a computer in California that never see's a minute of the games isn't for me. I'll take a human element any day over this but when your company strokes a 5-6 figure check to the association, you get to push your rankings.

It does appear to send a conflicting message on the surface. Though I'm not oppose to 2nd and 3rd string trying their best to score when their team is already up by alot.  Those kids dont know when they'll see the field again.

#30 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

No athlete should be asked to lay down when the margin of victory is huge. Don't schedule teams you can beat by 50. Every second and third team kid should get his chance to shine in the end zone. Work all year and your coach ask you to run straight at the defense but not score? Nobody wants to work hard only to be in that position.

Nobody should say one word if you get beat 100-0. Let's not make the gladiator sports the YMCA or Upward Basketball.

#31 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

GDG!!!!!!

#32 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

No athlete should be asked to lay down when the margin of victory is huge. Don't schedule teams you can beat by 50. Every second and third team kid should get his chance to shine in the end zone. Work all year and your coach ask you to run straight at the defense but not score? Nobody wants to work hard only to be in that position.

Nobody should say one word if you get beat 100-0. Let's not make the gladiator sports the YMCA or Upward Basketball.

Yes sir I agree that no matter what string you are 1st,2nd,3rd you should always try your best. That used to mean scheduling up so your team can get better as year goes along. Now however with the new playoff system teams are encouraged to play more teams they can beat by 50 so there is not a 3-4 hour drive come state playoff time.

#33 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Don't schedule teams you can beat by 50.

If they are in your conference, you don't have much of a choice.

IMO, top tier teams should not be scheduling cupcakes as their OOC games and then running up the score trying to impress a computer somewhere. If you're a great team that can blow out a decent team, then power to you and have at it. But great teams blowing out really bad teams does not impress me AT ALL, and should NOT be rewarded by the NCHSAA.

#34 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,174 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

Agree 100%. Not fair to ask the 2nd and 3rd stringers that bust their a$$es all year to lay down when they do see the field in their limited opportunity.

#35 Superkase

Superkase

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

But what it can't compute is that one team who is traditionally low in the rankings but has a once in a decade or two kind of year, a season where they are able to compete with and beat the big dogs, but because they started so low in the rankings, they're not moved up as fast or as accurately as they should be and may be ranked much lower at seasons end than they should be.

This has happened many of times with the BCS rankings system as well.

MaxPreps does say they don't take into account previous seasons.  I'm not a huge fan, but I think that isn't a concern.  In fact, I think a human panel would have a harder time overcoming that issue.

#36 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Max=joke

JeffChapman-Dynamic