Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

NCHSAA New Transfer Policy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

Any opinions on the new transfer policy? Is there any teeth to the policy when the LEA can approve a transfer? I would link the article but I'm having trouble doing so on the IPad.

#2 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,517 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

Think we need a real good description of this rule, seems vague. I guess it means no change of address needed if both LEAs agree. Still not sure. 

Correct.

Lets remember that the LEA could override the previous rule, ie Forsyth County.

#3 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:43 AM

Revising this post to the thread. I take it to mean a student can have a one time transfer with no change of address after beginning school in the ninth grade provided both schools agree. Looks like the previous standards apply after that one time transfer. Can someone explain the depth of why this is being implemented.

#4 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

Does the NCHSAA have an investigative  department. Are they capable of checking residence issues?

#5 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

Off the subject a little- followed an athlete who started at Laney in 4A, went to Topsail in 2A winning a state individual wrestling championship, then when Topsail was realigned to 3A he transferred to Dixon in 2A. Then he got kicked off the team in a fit of rage at a tournament while cussing out his own teammates. All on video for the world to see. Lincolnton had a kid who was 7' who played on 4 teams while in high school. Private, out of state, and NC publics. Neither were for academic best interest or created better opportunities for college advancement.

If this rule allows only one transfer in a four year period without a 365 penalty it is a start in the right direction. As for your question Wrigley, the state association doesn't have resources to police the transfers. That duty lies with the LEA. They would need probably a dozen people to check all the transfers. Doubt they would have funds for staffing of half a million dollars in salaries. In the end violations will continue but I think coaches and ADs will not be pleased if an athlete bounces to them only to bounce again.

#6 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,517 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

Does the NCHSAA have an investigative  department. Are they capable of checking residence issues?

No.  They are not an investigative authority.  LEA's handle any investigation and report the info to the NCHSAA for determination of violations and penalties.  The LEA has much more ability to investigate in their own footprint.

Did not see GDG's response until after I typed this.

#7 Creekprogram

Creekprogram

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

Excuse my ignorance.....what is an LEA?

#8 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,517 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

Local Education Agencies or Administrations.

List of all school systems and charters in this link.

http://www.dpi.state...charterlist.pdf

#9 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

No.  They are not an investigative authority.  LEA's handle any investigation and report the info to the NCHSAA for determination of violations and penalties.  The LEA has much more ability to investigate in their own footprint.

Did not see GDG's response until after I typed this.

So essentially any sort of policy implemented by the NCHSAA is really in the hands of the specific LEA. if they have a different policy or choose not to enforce there is little the NCHSAA can do. Correct?

#10 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,517 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:11 AM

So essentially any sort of policy implemented by the NCHSAA is really in the hands of the specific LEA. if they have a different policy or choose not to enforce there is little the NCHSAA can do. Correct?

Correct.  That has been the way it has played out.  I am sure there are some regulations that they would not allow to be changed but if you look at Forsyth or other open enrollment counties you will see they have not went by the residency policy.  Stanly County just did two years allowing students to switch schools which decimated Albemarle even further.

JeffChapman-Dynamic