Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Longest field goal kicker

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

Does anyone know who holds the longest field goal in N.C. history?. Also can anyone list kickers or punters in N.C. history to make it to the NFL?

#2 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

Bradley Pinion, Northwest Cabarrus, punter SF49ers

#3 Ladge

Ladge

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

Mike Coffer Charlotte Country Day and NCSU field goal kicker for 49er's back to back super bowls.

Jeff Reed East Meck kicked a 54 yard fg in high school. Played for the Steelers.

#4 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

Jackson Maples kicked a 60 yard FG for Pinecrest in 2012. Cline Ingle of Burns holds the record with a 61 yard FG which was kicked in 2000.

#5 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

Jeff Hayes Elkin, Tommy Barnhardt South Rowan, and Johnny Evans HP Andrews all punted in the NFL.  Ryan Succop and Connor Barth are currently kicking in the NFL.

#6 smashmouth5

smashmouth5

JV Team

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

Jackson Maples kicked a 60 yard FG for Pinecrest in 2012. Cline Ingle of Burns holds the record with a 61 yard FG which was kicked in 2000.

Called Ingle's kick on the radio. That ball just kept going.

#7 crestcharger02

crestcharger02

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:56 PM

Called Ingle's kick on the radio. That ball just kept going.

I think they actually lined up for 65 or so yard attempt against Crest that season. Would have been cool to see it made.

#8 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

Jeff Hayes was a stud for Elkin in their later 3A days. He was too young for the 74/75 teams but he played hard for their downward teams. He not only kicked but he had to play QB too. According to the 1977 MA news season previewing said he could nail 40 yarders easily and even kicked up to 60+ yarders in practice.. Wow. If he played nowadays he'd be a top hs kicker still.

He went to UNC where he got a lot of playing time and got signed by the Redskins in Gibbs early years. He hit paydirt and got a Super Bowl ring his first year. Not too shabby.. He also ran for a 61 Yard TD in 1986 off a fake punt with the Bengals.

Fun Fact: According to the MA news preview article before he went into the Surry county hall of fame for sports he is the nephew of longtime coach Howard Hayes. Not a bad petigree at all.

#9 2AADirtyBirds

2AADirtyBirds

JV Team

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

Bryan Diaz from Monroe High Kicked the longest field goal in a State Championship game at a neutral site! 48yrds without a tee.Thats what the state told us!

#10 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:52 AM

Jeff Hayes Elkin, Tommy Barnhardt South Rowan, and Johnny Evans HP Andrews all punted in the NFL. Ryan Succop and Connor Barth are currently kicking in the NFL.

Ryan Succop had five field goals in a game in the NFL. In high school at Hickory High he would kick off thru the goal post out of the endzone. He is 6'3" and when he had a free kick on the soccer field, kids on the opposing wall would turn sideways to avoid getting hit. Hickory had three kids in a row get schollies. One I think went to Syracuse or Rutgers to play. Hickory and Newton-Conover have great soccer programs and both have sent quite a few to college to kick and punt.

#11 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Jeff Hayes was a stud for Elkin in their later 3A days. He was too young for the 74/75 teams but he played hard for their downward teams. He not only kicked but he had to play QB too. According to the 1977 MA news season previewing said he could nail 40 yarders easily and even kicked up to 60+ yarders in practice.. Wow. If he played nowadays he'd be a top hs kicker still.

He went to UNC where he got a lot of playing time and got signed by the Redskins in Gibbs early years. He hit paydirt and got a Super Bowl ring his first year. Not too shabby.. He also ran for a 61 Yard TD in 1986 off a fake punt with the Bengals.

Fun Fact: According to the MA news preview article before he went into the Surry county hall of fame for sports he is the nephew of longtime coach Howard Hayes. Not a bad petigree at all.

Hayes played six seasons.  Awesome athlete.  Fairly average sized guy.  Last time I ran into him was in Charlotte about twenty years ago. What is he doing now?  I think his salary was about $40,000 that year but he more than doubled it with bonuses and playoff money, Super Bowl money.

#12 Reynoldsrocks23

Reynoldsrocks23

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

Longest ATTEMPT for ACR was by Stuart Jones several years ago against Erwin, he missed it wide right but had plenty of leg....and a little wind!

#13 stickwolf

stickwolf

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

Wheres that at now I wonder ? Could sure use that leg. Does a tee make that kind of difference? State was begging for somebody to step up last season and never got it. Sounds like Jackson had some big time potential. 

#14 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

Wheres that at now I wonder ? Could sure use that leg. Does a tee make that kind of difference? State was begging for somebody to step up last season and never got it. Sounds like Jackson had some big time potential. 

Maybe State will let Jackson do more than just kickoffs.

#15 stickwolf

stickwolf

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

Maybe State will let Jackson do more than just kickoffs.

As bad as they struggled in the kicking game last season I'm SURE Jackson had every opportunity to claim that FG job in practice. Not sure how he looked but the fact he wasn't out there tells a little. Kicking game kept NC State from a very special season. 

#16 Mad Dog

Mad Dog

Established Member

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

Drew Walters was a good one. Nailed a couple 50s in crunch time.

#17 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

Titans kicker and former Hickory Red Tornado was Ryan Succop real good hit some good long ones. A guy who got hurt in college that was good in high school was Bandys kicker Andrew Fierheighly.

#18 shelbyfan

shelbyfan

JV Team

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

Shelby, had Clint Gaultney kicked a 53 yrd
And Burns high school had a kicker broke state record with over 55 yrds

#19 Shelby Lion

Shelby Lion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

I've seen the record broken three times over the years (Longest Field Goal)

As Shelbyfan mentioned  Clint Gwaltney back in 87... Kicked one 53 yards (record at the time).. He had a massive leg, always funny watching warm ups before the games and the opposing coaches watching him make them from 63 yards... I tried one in the playoffs in the rain against TC I believe it was... Line drive rotating horizontally instead of end over end...Hit the cross bar.... fell short..

Don't remember the year, but saw Tyler Ashe from Shelby kick one from 58 up at Burns.... Broke the record

Then Cline Ingle from Burns at Shelby... That ball stayed in the air forever it seems.. I remember seeing him line up thinking aint no way he makes this.... BOOM.... Heck we even clapped for him... Seemed like it was very early in the game, they went up 3-0 on his 61 yarder... Shelby won 49-3

#20 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

Don't remember the year, but saw Tyler Ashe from Shelby kick one from 58 up at Burns.... Broke the record

Pretty sure Tyler's was '95.

JeffChapman-Dynamic