Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Mid State 3-A

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 footballforever

footballforever

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

Just to try to get the conversation started and talk a little football, I know this is a predominately Charlotte Area based crowd on here, but me being from the triad region, who wins the Mid-state 3-A conference? Which player is the favorite for player of the year in the conference? Curious as to your thoughts.  I know Fred Galey will have some good input.

#2 footballforever

footballforever

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

Really? Nothing? Where you at Fred Galey?

#3 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

Footballforever, I'm not up on Mid State 3A but just to get a conversation going I notice Northern Durham had a 4-8 record. Usually they are good and have a better record. What do you see about them being down? Do you think they will rebound this year?

#4 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:26 PM

Not Northern Durham but Northern Guilford. Never mind I got that one wrong. I was thinking Northern Durham. Excuse me on that one.

#5 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

Statesville will play Northern Guilford in week 3. Northern Guilford is a school that not even 10 years old. They have an overall record 107-22. They were 4-8 last year. Don't know what they will have in 2017, but I don't think they have any Keenan Allen or TJ Logans.

#6 Muchadoaboutnothin

Muchadoaboutnothin

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

Western Alamance will be the team to beat. Northeast will be a beast this year also.

#7 PureBull

PureBull

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:07 PM

Northern Guilford started like 7 or 8 sophomores this past year with only 7 seniors on the entire team. They were very young without an off-season program until their new coach was hired right before spring ball. They played 3 teams early in the season that all played in state championship games. Also played Northwest when they were full strength. Those young'uns are growing up fast. We'll see but don't sleep on them this year.

#8 redclayramblers

redclayramblers

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

There will be a new conference champ since Eastern Guilford is out.  Williams out as well.  Western and Eastern Alamance still strong.

Mid Piedmont may be a tougher conference now.   SE Guilford and S Alamance move down from 4A plus Eastern Guilford and Williams.  
Previous 1 and 2 Southern Guilford and Asheboro are back as well.

Realignment was wierd for these 2 conferences plus nearby Smith, Dudley, SW Guilford and Western Guilford in another 3A conference

#9 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

Talked to Fred who I believe is the #1 guy for the Mid State 3A and 2A conferences for that matter and he thinks it'll be between Western and Eastern Alamance with WA having a slight edge 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#10 footballforever

footballforever

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

Don't know about the other team's in the conference but don't expect much.  Northern Guilford will be better because they were young last year but still won't compete for 1st place.  Fred's assessment of WA and EA competing for the top spot is probably true, but there really isn't much competition there other than its a rivalry.  There is not a slight edge between the two, but a huge gap for WA over EA.  There is no one in the conference that can match up to Christman for WA!

#11 Muchadoaboutnothin

Muchadoaboutnothin

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

Don't sleep on Northeast......If not #1 they'll be #2 in the conference.

#12 footballforever

footballforever

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

No question Northeast will be much improved and trending upward from beginning to end of season.  Bates is a heck of a coach and they will be contenders in the near future.  I can see them moving up as far as #2 but most likely #3.  They can beat EA by playing physical as EA is not a physical team, especially in the offensive backfield with their qb and rb.  Notheast will not be ready for WA as they are extremely fast and tough as nails.

#13 Muchadoaboutnothin

Muchadoaboutnothin

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:39 PM

I agree for the most part. That will be the game to watch in the conference. I've seen both teams first hand for the last three years and Northeast will be the best they've been for a long time. I don't see WA being that much improved with Pinnex walking out the door. I do agree both are, on paper set for a deep playoff run.

#14 Jdct14u

Jdct14u

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:18 AM

Eastern has 9 starters back on defense and 7 back. On the -O-line unlike in the past few years The O-line will be very athletic and still average about 280 not to mention this group went undefeated in the 9 the and tenth grade.. .i don't think they lost a lot of kids either. I would pic Eastern Alamance!!

#15 Muchadoaboutnothin

Muchadoaboutnothin

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

They will, without question have the numbers as they field more players than most 4A schools. There JV squad has been the most dominant over the last three years, however that doesn't always translate to Friday night success....

#16 footballforever

footballforever

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

EA doesn't have the toughness it will need to win the tough game.  O-line maybe good but it takes athletes to score points.  EA doesn't have those athletes.  The qb will fold when he gets pounded like he did against WA last year.  I mean he turns his back to contact.  I don't see them having that running back either.  Grate would have helped but he is not there anymore either.  Of the 7 defensive starters returning they loose the entire defensive backfield.  They don't have anyone that can step in there to cover a Christman type kid WA has.  They will still be good against inferior competition no doubt.  I don't buy the JV thing because most of EA kids stayed down to play JV where other teams like WA had their sophmores starting and contributing on varsity.   

#17 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:48 PM

Don't sleep on Northeast......If not #1 they'll be #2 in the conference.

I've been told their best player is now at Dudley so if that's the case I doubt it

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#18 Jdct14u

Jdct14u

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:15 PM

If I remember correctly the same JV team that played Western beat them pertty good . That have a good weight program their and so far as the O-line this is the most physical line that they will have in years the QB will be one of the better QB s I the conference this year. Do not sleep on them!!

#19 footballforever

footballforever

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

Keep that thinking up and compare jv teams. What u didn't probably know was that EA had everyone on jv. WA started 6 10th graders starting on varsity that year. Bring them back to jv that year and I am sure the outcome would have been different. Congrats on your jv win though lol!

#20 PureBull

PureBull

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:07 PM

Agree on JV comments......most teams play their best players on Friday nights regardless of year. Just like 7x7's in the summer, many times those things don't translate to Friday night wins. Should be fun in the conference this year....and some surprises will certainly emerge. Might be a little early to hand WA the crown just yet.

#21 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

Oh and was also told NEG RB is now at HP Christian so I think you can rule them out for winning the conference if that's the case with top QB and RB gone. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#22 Muchadoaboutnothin

Muchadoaboutnothin

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:18 PM

That's news to me... The last time I spoke with Bates he made no mention of it. Northeast was probably the most physical team we played last year and if the QB wouldn't have gotten injuried who knows.....

#23 footballforever

footballforever

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

The most physical team WA played last year by far was Eastern Guilford.  WA put NE away early in the 1st quarter without much of a fight.  EA was one of the under impressive teams WA played last year from a physical standpoint.  Physically WA pounded them.

All that being said, it is a new year and none of that matters.  I still see WA being the pre-season leader for the conference crown.  That really means nothing though.  Still have to win on the field!  Fun speculating though!

#24 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

Montgomery Central is on its way. Looking forward to it

#25 footballforever

footballforever

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:07 AM

Montgomery Central? I don't understand the reference ? Forgive my ignorance.

JeffChapman-Dynamic