Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

What is going on

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Dog

Mad Dog

Established Member

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:00 AM

I don't understand, so why does the board seem dead to me?

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

It's the off-season.

#3 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

No it is baseball season.

You people need to expand beyond the gridiron.

C'mon man.

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:15 AM

I'm all for any expansion.

#5 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

I try Chris but football is king.

It's OK though.

Baseball is an acquired taste.

#6 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:51 AM

I try Chris but football is king.

It's OK though.

Baseball is an acquired taste.

I love baseball just as much if not more.

#7 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

I'm here with a watchful eye everyday. Each post confirms my ignorance. Hence the limited number of post this time of year !!

#8 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

I love baseball just as much if not more.

Well then get out to a conference tourney this week and bask in the glory of best sport ever invented.

Sorry for the blasphemy.

I will be sitting at Wheatmore HS at 5 today until 10ish.

#9 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

I'm here with a watchful eye everyday. Each post confirms my ignorance. Hence the limited number of post this time of year !!

Someone once said ignorance is bliss.

Explains why I am always so upbeat...

#10 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,406 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

Is high school baseball destined for the non school coach to take more control and the sport become much like high school basketball with the travel team coaches calling the shots?

Have heard from coaches that parents have told them when to pitch their kid and where to play and hit him in the lineup based on the travel team coaches advice.

#11 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

Is high school baseball destined for the non school coach to take more control and the sport become much like high school basketball with the travel team coaches calling the shots?

Have heard from coaches that parents have told them when to pitch their kid and where to play and hit him in the lineup based on the travel team coaches advice.

Think some of that has come from the pitch count watch that is the new "thing" for baseball nowadays as far as when to pitch.

Good travel ball coaches generally do not play during HS seasons to avoid overworking pitchers.

Now as far as where to hit a player in a lineup a good HS coach wouldn't be influenced by anyone on this. However I think that with the proliferation of options out there for some overbearing parents to send their future major leaguers to HS might be used to influence some coaches.

#12 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

Wow baseball discussion has broken out on a football thread!!

Cool.

#13 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

You guys need to learn to love wrestling where men are made. Heck, everybody loves a good fight.

#14 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

Amen GDG !

#15 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

Rasslin?

C'mon GDG.

That is paid less attention than hardball.

Barely though.

#16 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,406 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

Think some of that has come from the pitch count watch that is the new "thing" for baseball nowadays as far as when to pitch.

Good travel ball coaches generally do not play during HS seasons to avoid overworking pitchers.

Now as far as where to hit a player in a lineup a good HS coach wouldn't be influenced by anyone on this. However I think that with the proliferation of options out there for some overbearing parents to send their future major leaguers to HS might be used to influence some coaches.

You would not believe, ok you would, some of the stories I hear.  I called BS and the coach sent me the emails.  The parent has an All American that cannot make All Neighborhood.

#17 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,406 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

GDG, when I was living in Germany (worked for a Swiss company) my next door neighbor was an Olympic Silver Medalist and World Champion in the 90kg Greco Roman class.  I watched him lose in the Olympic finals at his parents house.  Still have the local newspaper article and photo somewhere.  He beat the Gold Medalist (I think) three of four lifetime matches but lost in Seoul.  Was an outright animal.  Would hear him head out every morning about 5:30 for the first workout.  Would see him get home late at night after the second or third workout of the day.  Gerhard Himmel.  Went onto Iowa as a grad assistant and got a masters (maybe MBA).

He trained some when he was younger with Randy Couture when he was stationed at the Army Air Field in the local military community.  I knew Couture and was close friends with his commanding officer, Jack Schoonover who was an All American at West Point and wrestled in the Olympic trials in the 1970's.

#18 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:26 PM

Well, you have all these new leagues and conferences thanks to realignment, all these coaching moves, and what ever you have coming out of the NCHSAA Spring Board of Directors meeting coming up and what's going to become of the playoffs.  Don't tell me that's there's nothing to talk about!!!  I am ready to talk!!!

#19 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:00 PM

I think the activity should start picking up a little now as Spring practice starts to roll around and spring sports starting to reach the final stretches with conference tournaments and playoffs.  I for one am ready to talk a little football!

Baseball players bring practicing all spring?

We could have been talking since February.

Not being a jerk. Mine plays football too.

#20 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

I've had people all the time ask me why I don't cover Wonder Baseball, Basketball, etc. Friday Nights in K-Town is pretty self explanatory. Football is king in K-Town August-November on Friday nights, and that's what I cover. Not trying to slight any other sport, but it is what it is. You are right, the other sports are an acquired taste and unfortunately or fortunately whichever you prefer, I am proudly one dimensional!! lol Go Wonder Football!!!!

#21 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

From experience Chris, you can't be all to everyone, and expect to excel in any one thing. Trust me, you are doing what you need to be doing, and doing it well!! I've seen to many enterprises go under for taking their focus off the main theme!!  I don't know if you remember, but The Western Sizzlin Steakhouse was the best steakhouse hands down in Kannapolis and Concord for many years in the eighties. I worked there in high school. Why were we the best? we focused on steaks and nobody could touch us. in the latter years once we got a hot bar and started trying to cover the rest of the food spectrum, the steaks suffered.

#22 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

Any sport that involves the vile abomination that is the "designated hitter" is not baseball. Call it "extrabatterball" or "can'tfieldapositionball", but not baseball (broke my heart when the American Legion added the DH).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#23 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,406 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

FHS how do you feel about interleague play?

#24 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

GDG, when I was living in Germany (worked for a Swiss company) my next door neighbor was an Olympic Silver Medalist and World Champion in the 90kg Greco Roman class.  I watched him lose in the Olympic finals at his parents house.  Still have the local newspaper article and photo somewhere.  He beat the Gold Medalist (I think) three of four lifetime matches but lost in Seoul.  Was an outright animal.  Would hear him head out every morning about 5:30 for the first workout.  Would see him get home late at night after the second or third workout of the day.  Gerhard Himmel.  Went onto Iowa as a grad assistant and got a masters (maybe MBA).

He trained some when he was younger with Randy Couture when he was stationed at the Army Air Field in the local military community.  I knew Couture and was close friends with his commanding officer, Jack Schoonover who was an All American at West Point and wrestled in the Olympic trials in the 1970's.

Not many can take the discipline wrestling involves. Famous quote- "once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy." I was told by two different college football recruiters that they loved recruiting kids who had wrestled. Every line coach would benefit from kids who wrestled. Hand use, foot movement, aggressiveness. Defensive players who wrestle have no fear. Can't fight 50 times a year and be afraid of contact.

You knew Randy Couture? Guy was an animal. UFC has began to make wrestling a bit more popular. UFC is almost legal attempted murder.

#25 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,406 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

Not many can take the discipline wrestling involves. Famous quote- "once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy." I was told by two different college football recruiters that they loved recruiting kids who had wrestled. Every line coach would benefit from kids who wrestled. Hand use, foot movement, aggressiveness. Defensive players who wrestle have no fear. Can't fight 50 times a year and be afraid of contact.

You knew Randy Couture? Guy was an animal. UFC has began to make wrestling a bit more popular. UFC is almost legal attempted murder.

Yes, I knew Randy.  He was the Army champion and Interservice champion (all four branches plus Coast Guard have a tournament).  I actually stopped by his gym when Chris and I were in Las Vegas but he was out of town.  

Randy got into Greco Roman almost by mistake. I cannot remember the exact story but he submitted his paperwork for the All Army or some other tournament and it was in the GR division and not freestyle.  They had open spots for GR but freestyle was filled when it was discovered.  They told him he could remain in freestyle or not compete.  He put in about six to eight weeks of GR training and won the tournament.

Himmel was an animal and super intelligent and very successful business executive now.  We were speaking after he won the world championship at 100kg in 1989.  He said everyone works hard although some more than others, everyone has great technique while some just are better at it.  The difference is often something very small or a little mistake but the best have a little something more that you just cannot obtain through hard work.  He said for some it may be they are so instinctive or they have some type of physicalness that is hard to match.  It was interesting to hear him speak about it.  

JeffChapman-Dynamic