Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Congratulations WEST MONTGOMERY!!!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:29 PM

West Montgomery completed the YVC Baseball season at 11-1 including sweeping East Montgomery. West also completed the Conference Championship sweep of the Big 3 sports, football, basketball and baseball. A feat I am almost certain that hasn't ever happened at West and of course not at East!! West was a combined 5-1 against East this season in the Big 3 with the only loss in basketball. This season has put the emphasis on the total domination of West Montgomery over East and puts to rest any ideas that the two are on an equal level. Considering this is the last conference games the two will share I think it is appropriate to share this information. Best of luck to the Warriors in their remaining games and to the Eagles.... well.....good luck in 2A. You're gonna need it!!!!

For all of my EM fans and stalkers I believe a few of you were yammering about how East was going to handle West in baseball this season. Now I'll be interested to see how many of you show up and munch on that crow........

#2 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:18 PM

With all due respect, This is kinda of rude. There nothing wrong with supporting your team but degrading East is kinda shows a lot bout our character. I love baseball n In Baseball anything can happen. Also u fail to mention it was 5-3 ball game with Em having 7 hits n WM with 8 hit , fair to say both teams played well! also maybe you r 11-1 but you are 13-7 which means You are beatable n You should take nothing for granted and also Kids, parents , coaches from EM read this and this show the bad character/ Sportsmentship from WM!

Have some class sir!

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#3 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:30 AM

From the '08-'09 to '10-'11 seasons Murphy won the SMC in football, basketball and baseball 3 years in a row, something that hasn't been accomplished in that conference before or since. Unfortunately for Bulldog players and fans none of those Murphy teams have a state title to show for it. Several of the aforementioned teams were good enough to win a state title, but I suppose sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I would consider the '10 and '11 Murphy baseball teams the best they've ever had, the '10 Murphy baseball team was the best in 1A that year and probably the best SMC baseball team ever fielded, they beat the 4A state runner up that year and were undefeated during the regular season, lost a fluke game in the playoffs due to a dominant pitching performance from their opponent West Wilkes in a one game scenario, no doubt in my mind they cruise to a state title otherwise. The '11 Murphy baseball team was probably less talented but made it to regional finals, only to blow a series lead against South Stanly, where they were a few outs away from the state title game.

The '08-'09 and '09-'10 Murphy basketball teams would both be in the top 5 all time at Murphy, the '08-'09 team if not the best team in 1A that year, were definitely in the conversation. That team was undone by poor coaching in a sectional final loss to Hendersonville and would've probably been the favorite at regionals if not choking away that late game lead against the Bearcats with their best player glued to the bench. The '09-'10 team was perhaps the better of those two teams on paper, but had to contend with a juggernaut North Rowan squad at regionals that deservedly won.

The '10 Murphy football team was excellent, after going small 1A for the first time had the misfortune to meet the best team in either small or big 1A that year in Wallace Rose Hill in the state finals. Murphy had a comfortable lead at halftime but the rain came down in the 2nd half killing their passing game and allowing WRH back in it and eventually winning it on an amazing field goal. The '08 Murphy football team had an undefeated regular season but were less talented overall the the '10 team imo, they ran roughshod over their competition during the regular season but probably peaked a little too soon and were ultimately undone by an excellent performance from Hendersonville in the playoffs.

#4 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

Playoffs in 1A are the toughest in the state in my opinion. So many schools can have one, two or three players that can make a difference due to the small size of the student body. You factor in a few bounces, dropped balls or a missed free throw or two and it's over. The games are always competitive after the first round with the exception of football in most cases. As far as watching, I'll take the 1A for most competitive day in and day out. It's rarely D1 prospects vs. D1 prospects. It's hard playing kids that may play in college but most likely these are their last games. I think it makes a difference. When a school can sweep the Big 3 at any level it's awesome. When a school does it for the first time in 56 years of its existence it's worthy of recognition. 

#5 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

When it comes to football, pound for pound I think the small 2a is the toughest classification. With teams like Clinton, Northeastern, Shelby and Reidsville, and Now Wallace-Rose Hill, It is brutal come playoff time. Not to mention teams like Hendersonville, Mountain Heritage, and others that are really good but get out-shadowed by the big dog power houses... The 1aa is still fun and competitive, especially the West, when there are usually 5 or 6 teams that are legit contenders for a title appearance.

#6 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

And conference up with Montgomery Central, bring your A game boys

#7 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

Where will Montgomery Central fall? 2aa or 3a?

#8 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

Probably 3A

#9 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

Big 2AA or 3A. Depending on a few factors. 

Congratulations to West Montgomery Varsity Baseball Conference Tournament Champions. Defeated East 5-3 in their third match up of the season. I think that East will be glad that tonight was the last time they face the Warriors this year with a meaningful game/title on the line! OUCH!!! 0'fer the season vs. the Warriors with hardware up for grabs. Has to be the most successful class in Warrior history. 

#10 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:14 PM

West Montgomery completed the YVC Baseball season at 11-1 including sweeping East Montgomery

West Montgomery @ Murphy 3rd round of the 1A baseball playoffs. West will be favored, especially with that extra day of rest and Murphy going extras with Uwharrie Charter, should be a good game though.

#11 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

Should be a heck of a game. Looking forward to the scenic drive up to Murphy. West Montgomery is having the best athletic season in the history of the school. The men's golf team also went undefeated in conference play. The track team is rolling along in the individuals as well. There are several seniors but this is nowhere near a senior dominated reasons. There are more sophomores and freshmen contributing to the success than Srs. Should be a fun few years coming up. Best of luck to Murphy in the game and see y'all on Tuesday. 

#12 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

where are regionals and state championships held at in baseball?

#13 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

It's a H/A/H format I believe alternating between E/W?? Best two of three. That's for the Finals I believe. Regional finals are at highest ranked team one game? 

#14 sweaterfee

sweaterfee

JV Team

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

It's a H/A/H format I believe alternating between E/W?? Best two of three. That's for the Finals I believe. Regional finals are at highest ranked team one game? 

2016 the Regional Finals were also best 2 out of 3 ( not sure when this format started). As far as the match up with Murphy goes, WM is very deep with 3 senior pitchers who I believe are all eligible to pitch Tuesday. Looks like one of Murphy's top starters is not eligible to pitch. (pitch count) By the looks of the stats , looks as if Murphy is deep as well. I think WM is a little better, but the long trip probably makes the game a toss up.

* The Finals are normally at a neutral site , for example , Mudcat Stadium in Zebulon as well as other venues like this.

#15 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:34 PM

Murphy only has 3 seniors, Dogs should be very good next season. As sweaterfee alluded to, they're a deep team.

As far as pitching is concerned, Murphy has a solid all around pitching staff. There's no "ace" on the Dogs pitching staff but also no weak links.

Murphy will rely on their offense, very solid 1 through 9 in the order, no easy outs.

#16 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

i think north stanly may play the winner of this game in regionals, they beat west montgomery 2wice this year.

#17 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

Murphy gets the win 3-2, congrats to West Montgomery on an excellent season. These were two evenly matched teams, the difference in the game imo was Murphy being just a little more fundamentally sound.

Excellent pitching performance by Joey Curry tonight, Curry came into the game in the 5th inning with runners on second and third with zero outs and preceded to get two strikeouts and a flyout, he was really on today and completely shut the Warriors down in his 3 innings on the mound.

As for the bad, 'Dogs manager could have quite easily cost them the game with a terrible decision to hold runner up on third with the game tied 2-2, it wasn't even a remotely close decision, still baffled as to why he held him up. Fortunately for him he was bailed out when the same runner scored on a wild pitch.

It's on to the fourth round for Murphy, I think they're definitely in the mix to make it to Raleigh but will be in for a challenging game against either Pine Lake Prep (Charlotte area charter) or Walkertown (2A size school in the wild west that is Forsyth County).

Once again congrats to your Warriors WM1977 on a very good season, they played a good game and have nothing to hang their heads about.

#18 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

Just to reiterate the fact that there is nothing but mutual respect between these two programs. That was one hell of a game. That one would be watched on ESPN. The mutual respect shown by both teams was evident that they were aware of what was at stake. West got into a few situations where errors hurt them. That's part of the game and why they play. The better team won today. I can assure you that the crowd was very cordial and welcoming. As always, it's a pleasure to visit Murphy and visit with the fans. Hopefully we will see y'all in Wadeville this fall! Go win State Bulldogs!!!! You have our support behind you. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic