Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Hough Huskies QB/ Head Coach Miles Aldridge removed (Updated)

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#51 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

Very curious to hear a reason behind the change... if no lines were crossed then I'm not sure what a legitimate reason could be (especially if they aren't judging the program by wins and losses, as said in the article)

#52 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

Football coaching positions along with all other athletic coaching positions are considered non-contractual classified jobs, or essentially "extra duties". This means that you don't have a yearly contract, and you are at the discretion of the current principal or athletic director.

Many states do provide contracts for head coaches but I'm not aware of any system in NC that does.

I've seen many instances where a principal or AD has come in and made a change without cause for whatever reason.

#53 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

I am very shocked by this bc Coach Aldridge was a great coach n also He has beaten MC 2 times I believe and Always made Hough a Conference Threat!!

Only thing I could see that maybe got him fired is Playoffs, they have never reached the championship game with all the talent that they have had year in n year out.

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#54 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:11 PM

I'm pretty sure if you read into the quotes that more than just wins and losses were considered.

I was just as shocked to learn of this as anyone but maybe they wanted a change in direction and a different face on the program. Not saying the direction under Aldridge was bad by any means, but the current admin maybe just wanted different.

#55 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

As to what direction the school goes in? Well I'll say this, I have been contacted by a pretty decent amount of coaches from NC who's resumes are more than adequate for this job. I'm talking guys who have won 4AA titles in recent years so Hough will at least have options.

There are also some very strong assistants on the staff and in nearby CMS schools.

There are two scenarios I could see happen. I could see one of two coaches on staff be named the interim and they reopen the job following this season, but with the job being listed, I could also see a very qualified big named coach come in and be a natural fit.

Who are some guys I'd consider if I were the AD?

1. Brian Hales at Butler would be near the top of my list.

2. Aaron Brand at Vance would also be near the top.

3. David Johnson at Cuthbertson would be a great fit here.

4. Mark Harmon at Myers Park would be on my short list.

5. Mike Byus at East Lincoln would be among the first I called.

6. Tripp Stone at Mallard Creek would be a solid pick.

7. Josh McGee at Reagan is a strong young coach.

8. Jared Rolfes at NW Guilford would be great at Hough.

9. Chris Metzger at Pinecrest would be a good fit.

10. Glen Padgett at Concord would be a great option.

11. Rob McNeely at Lake Norman would be a good candidate.

12. Matt Jenkins, DC at Concord has head coach experience and would be on my list.

13. Chachi Sullivan on staff would get a serious look as well.

14. Sean Joyce at East Gaston is a great coach that would flourish at a program like Hough.

15. Steve Burdeau, OC at Richmond would be a good fit with the Hough community.

16. Will Clark, former head coach at Crest would get a call from me.

17. Pete Gilchrist at North Forsyth knows CMS football as well as anyone.

18. Robert Hellams, assistant at Rock Hill Northwestern would be a great young coach.

19. Kyle Richardson, Clemson assistant and former Northwestern head coach, has local Charlotte area roots.

20. Mike Newsome at Kannapolis would flourish at Hough and knows the league and CMS as well as anyone.

#56 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

I am very shocked by this bc Coach Aldridge was a great coach n also He has beaten MC 2 times I believe and Always made Hough a Conference Threat!!

Only thing I could see that maybe got him fired is Playoffs, they have never reached the championship game with all the talent that they have had year in n year out.

Aldridge 1-4 against Mallard Creek. Beating the Mavs at home in 2015 and snapping a very long home and conf win streak. The year before Hough was up 30-0 at home early 3rd quarter before MC scored 5 straight times to win.

I can tell you that despite the reasoning behind the firing Aldridge before he arrived at Hough the MC/Hough game was largely non-competitive. Collins  last year was 2013 and Hough was undefeated fairly late in the year when they faced MC at The Creek. Game was over in about 8 minutes. 

#57 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

As to what direction the school goes in? Well I'll say this, I have been contacted by a pretty decent amount of coaches from NC who's resumes are more than adequate for this job. I'm talking guys who have won 4AA titles in recent years so Hough will at least have options.

There are also some very strong assistants on the staff and in nearby CMS schools.

There are two scenarios I could see happen. I could see one of two coaches on staff be named the interim and they reopen the job following this season, but with the job being listed, I could also see a very qualified big named coach come in and be a natural fit.

12. Matt Jenkins, DC at Concord has head coach experience and would be on my list.

14. Sean Joyce at East Gaston is a great coach that would flourish at a program like Hough.

18. Robert Hellams, assistant at Rock Hill Northwestern would be a great young coach.

19. Kyle Richardson, Clemson assistant and former Northwestern head coach, has local Charlotte area roots.

20. Mike Newsome at Kannapolis would flourish at Hough and knows the league and CMS as well as anyone.

Joe Evans?

How bout Myron Bell?

#58 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

I believe Hough already has their guy!

#59 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

Joe Evans?

How bout Myron Bell?

No question about Evans. Don't know Bell.

#60 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

I believe Hough already has their guy!

Former Wake County coach?

#61 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

I'm pretty sure if you read into the quotes that more than just wins and losses were considered.

I was just as shocked to learn of this as anyone but maybe they wanted a change in direction and a different face on the program. Not saying the direction under Aldridge was bad by any means, but the current admin maybe just wanted different.

I don't disagree with u n your more knowledgeable then me but I feel like there has to be a reason why he was let go and that was my guess but it may not be why

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#62 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

Former Wake County coach?

I've heard that rumor. Not sure I beleive it.

#63 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

Aldridge 1-4 against Mallard Creek. Beating the Mavs at home in 2015 and snapping a very long home and conf win streak. The year before Hough was up 30-0 at home early 3rd quarter before MC scored 5 straight times to win.

I can tell you that despite the reasoning behind the firing Aldridge before he arrived at Hough the MC/Hough game was largely non-competitive. Collins last year was 2013 and Hough was undefeated fairly late in the year when they faced MC at The Creek. Game was over in about 8 minutes.

+1

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#64 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:13 PM

I don't disagree with u n your more knowledgeable then me but I feel like there has to be a reason why he was let go and that was my guess but it may not be why

We can sit here and speculate until the cows come home but in all honesty I don't know why he was removed. All I'll say is this, we as armchair QB's can give our two cents and who knows, maybe someone at the school will read it and take value in someone's comment, but regardless of what any of us think we know, only AD Masanori Touguchi knows what's best for the program and in my opinion, he's got the credentials and knowledge to make that call. He was a letterman playing football at Wake Forest and has over a decade of experience in CMS as an AD and football coach so I trust he'll do what's right for the school.

#65 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

Of course there was a reason. Your just not gonna hear it at least not publicly. " Wanted to go in a different direction"  indicates it certainly wasnt an issue with the product on the field. I think its probably safe to say there were some struggles internally.

Unlike  alot of CMS gigs I think this one will draw some attention. Great place to live, strong athletic dept, growing area with strong youth football, very nice facilities and good but not fanatical fan base. As long as they can keep it in place the 2019 class is especially good.  

#66 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

Of course there was a reason. Your just not gonna hear it at least not publicly. " Wanted to go in a different direction" indicates it certainly wasnt an issue with the product on the field. I think its probably safe to say there were some struggles internally.

Unlike alot of CMS gigs I think this one will draw some attention. Great place to live, strong athletic dept, growing area with strong youth football, very nice facilities and good but not fanatical fan base. As long as they can keep it in place the 2019 class is especially good.

Agreed.

#67 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:22 PM

Of course there was a reason. Your just not gonna hear it at least not publicly. " Wanted to go in a different direction" indicates it certainly wasnt an issue with the product on the field. I think its probably safe to say there were some struggles internally.

Unlike alot of CMS gigs I think this one will draw some attention. Great place to live, strong athletic dept, growing area with strong youth football, very nice facilities and good but not fanatical fan base. As long as they can keep it in place the 2019 class is especially good.

+1

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#68 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

only AD Masanori Touguchi knows what's best for the program and in my opinion, he's got the credentials and knowledge to make that call. He was a letterman playing football at Wake Forest and has over a decade of experience in CMS as an AD and football coach so I trust he'll do what's right for the school.

I like him , I have met n talk to him a few times when I'm at Hough and as u stated he a Veteran of the game But I hope he brings in a Great coach and I'm pretty sure many many coach will apply.

Like I said 2 times: This could Make or Break Hough's Season

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#69 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

I do think its a little odd that in CMS there seems to be a quick trigger on guys who win and yet guys who fail to do so either stay in position for what seems like an eternity or the get recycled from one program to another. On one hand I like the fact that its not just about wins and losses however...............dont you have to win at some point ??    

#70 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:33 AM

Better chance of getting Gibbs to come out of retirement.

Exactly.

#71 cltfootball

cltfootball

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

(All Speculation) 

Toguchi must have someone in mind or have done some legwork before making this decision.  Spring Football is right around the corner, an AD and/or Principal does not make this move without having a plan in place.  Not naming an interim during this crucial time also tells me that the administration at Hough is going to move quickly in filling this vacancy and not from the current staff.  The following six in my opinion make up some sort of short list for admin at Hough.  Not sure some would leave current situation but I bet some have interest.

Joe Evans

Matt Jenkins

Mike Castellano

Joe Glass

Sam Greiner

Mike Newsome

#72 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

Totally left Greiner off. He is one of the top local coaching prospects in my eyes. He's done a tremendous job and is a great leader and role model for young men.

#73 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:40 AM

Hough better have their guy and he better be good because in my opinion Aldridge was a damn good coach who was going to win this year at Hough with all that talent. Not sure how much, but they were going to be very tough to beat. 

As for Castellano, his DUI(or whatever he got charged with) may hamper him in getting a job in CMS, no? 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#74 84k

Established Member

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:46 AM

Chris, why is it that every time there's a coaching job open you always bring up coach Newsome.:)

#75 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

Chris, why is it that every time there's a coaching job open you always bring up coach Newsome.:)

Only the caliber jobs that he would be a fit for!

JeffChapman-Dynamic