Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Duke's Wallace Wade Stadium back in the Championship Mix!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:15 AM

For the first time since 2006 NCHSAA Football Championship Games will be played in Durham!
http://www.newsobser...e145799379.html

#2 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,369 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

Would much rather have seen A&T in the mix.  Stadium size more suitable and more central location to the middle of the state.

Very disappointed in four sites as I will most likely on be able to see two games.  With a Friday night game and three games at one or two stadiums on Saturday I was able to watch four game in person.  Will we see even smaller crowds now?

Would like to see 1A and 4A go to four rounds due to the low number of teams in those two classes now.  Have them finish the week before 2A and 3A.  About 50% or less of the schools should make the playoffs.

#3 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

I agree with you almost 100%. We know it's not what's in the best interest of the fans or athlete. While there are a few hurdles that would need to be crossed because of the possibility of the smaller college's hosting their own playoff game, I'm guessing it's a perception thing. While A&T would be a better experience with stadium size and it's a more centralized location, it " LOOKS AND SOUNDS BETTER" when you say we are playing at Duke over saying we are playing at A&T! While I think the 1-A teams would have no problem playing just about anywhere, I believe 4-A teams would maybe look down at playing at a small college over playing at a big university! Using the smaller colleges could be worked out. Put them on a rotation and if one is hosting a playoff game, just go to the next one up. The chances of all hosting playoff games would be slim. As far as I'm concerned, I'd love to go back to the schools themselves hosting the championship! Let the kids see other parts of the state. Hotel and restaurants would love the extra $$$. Makes to much sense?

#4 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,369 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

NC A&T and Elon have been hesitate about hosting.  I agree they could work something out but the issue of changing the week before the games is not the most simple one if the host gets a playoff game.  The admin knows the stadium size is an issue but they also hear from the schools that they like the university stadiums.  In Durham I would prefer NC Central.

The NCHSAA pays rent on the stadiums, installs the high school goal posts, and has the field lined off along with sponsor logos.  The fewer facilities would save money but the schools / coaches have wanted to get away from the Friday night games and the early Saturday kickoffs.

Arguments for being played at the schools can be made but I personally never want to see the title games at the schools again but I do love the nostalgia, the packed stadium, and hometown atmosphere.  The logistics do not work well.  I remember the crowd control issues at South Meck and Randleman.  People not being able to get in, some that had driven hours.  Fans ending up on the sidelines.  The amount of seats and many of those in the lower rows being obstructed.  Inadequate dressing rooms, field conditions, press boxes, and media access.  Note if they went back to four champions I would be ok with them playing it anywhere.

When you go to the school site I do think it is fair to the visitor.  I do not want to see Murphy and Plymouth traveling the distance between them to get to a stadium that is packed with the home team fans and few of theirs.  Hotel accomodations and food arrangements can be limited. Depending on when the game was played would require two nights in a hotel although three would just about be needed per talks with coaches I have had when traveling that distance. 

Centralized games in moderate sized stadiums is the ticket.  Too many title games / sub classes is my biggest issue.  Six titles would be two stadiums with three games each.  If they are going to use the Triad they should rotate the games to Charlotte as that is the almost the identical distance from A&T (which I consider a central point) to UNCC and Carter Finley.  Problem is Charlotte really only has one facility that qualifies although Memorial Stadium could if the field is up to par and the pressbox (only one now) is brought up to standards.  Field conditions early December have proven to be terrible at some schools that have hosted four playoff games and possibly soccer matches.  If they have lacrosse the field does not get the necessary work and rest it needs in the spring.

Wake Forest, NC A&T, Elon.  Let Wake host three due to the size, support, and turf with one of those a Friday night game. Saturday game going noon and 4pm at one facility and 3pm and 7pm at the other two.

#5 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

Stadium size of 7000-8000 is more than adequate for any classification. No way should 1A and 4A classes be more than 4 rounds. Too few teams. 

#6 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

I would like to see Elon, Charlotte, Winston Salem State and Maybe even some of the smaller colleges like Catawba host the HS State championship games

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#7 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,369 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

Do not think any of the smaller college, ie D2 have the facility to hold a title game.  Catawba is not a bad location but not big enough.  If both sides were the size of the home side it would work great.

Bowman Gray (WSSU) is also used for car racing.  Not sure if that would be a great choice but I think it would be unique.

#8 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

Do not think any of the smaller college, ie D2 have the facility to hold a title game. Catawba is not a bad location but not big enough. If both sides were the size of the home side it would work great.

Bowman Gray (WSSU) is also used for car racing. Not sure if that would be a great choice but I think it would be unique.

Well Couldn't D2 schools/ Catawba do like the 1A/2A state championship game or would it not work ?

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#9 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,369 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

Depends on secetal factors. 1A coaches want to do it the same way the other three classes do things.

Catawba seats 5,000. Probably 1,000 on visitor side. One thing to keep in mind is that a turf stadium is the best option because it will be five or six weeks since most teams played on their field. Some want to start prepping while some just let it go for awhile.

#10 gangsta8

gangsta8

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

As an A&T alum Aggie Stadium would be a good fit for the state championship games, but we don't have the locker room space needed to host more than one game.  I think the NCHSAA got it right, when you look at the thought process that goes into not just the size of the stadiums, but the dressing rooms needed for at least four teams at one venue.

#11 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,369 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

As an A&T alum Aggie Stadium would be a good fit for the state championship games, but we don't have the locker room space needed to host more than one game.  I think the NCHSAA got it right, when you look at the thought process that goes into not just the size of the stadiums, but the dressing rooms needed for at least four teams at one venue.

Same issue at Wake Forest.  Dressing room for each team.  If there are two games at the stadium on the same day they can separate the games out far enough to make it work.  

#12 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,343 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

Catawba is closer to 2800

#13 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,369 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

Catawba is closer to 2800

I went by their football guide but I agree it is less than the 5,000. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic