Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Albemarle head football coaching position open

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#51 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Catholic you are correct. But don't let ol' Tango's facts get in the way of the truth. He's well known on TOS. He's been a blowhard about AHS for years. Questioning the fact that they are the Gold Standard of NCHS football is pure blasphemy I tell you!!! Schools that are perennial powers with no district changes or new schools opening may have one or two off years every 10-15 years and it's expected. But for a school to have ZERO to speak of and then all of a sudden win 5 titles to only fall back to the wasteland should make any legitimate sports fan suspicious. Especially with the stories and known facts around those title runs. You can clamor all you want about home grown this, home grown that. Sure, a majority of the kids were from Stanly County. The shenanigans involved with many of those players were known to the community. Let's not forget that many share weekends on Tillery and Badin and the stories are shared. So just own the fact that AHS won 5 titles. That'll never change. But also don't blow smoke up our rears with the holier than thou comments. AHS was the SMU of NCHS football during that time. Good luck with the Chatham Centrals and South Davidson's of the world. That's the only victories you're going to see for quite some time.

#52 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

You are correct Cougars 1997 was the change to 1A which actually supports the reason for the improvement further. The biggest difference between the classes is 1A to 2A. Doubtful AHS wins titles in 2A especially five.

#53 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Catholic you are correct. But don't let ol' Tango's facts get in the way of the truth. He's well known on TOS. He's been a blowhard about AHS for years. Questioning the fact that they are the Gold Standard of NCHS football is pure blasphemy I tell you!!! Schools that are perennial powers with no district changes or new schools opening may have one or two off years every 10-15 years and it's expected. But for a school to have ZERO to speak of and then all of a sudden win 5 titles to only fall back to the wasteland should make any legitimate sports fan suspicious. Especially with the stories and known facts around those title runs. You can clamor all you want about home grown this, home grown that. Sure, a majority of the kids were from Stanly County. The shenanigans involved with many of those players were known to the community. Let's not forget that many share weekends on Tillery and Badin and the stories are shared. So just own the fact that AHS won 5 titles. That'll never change. But also don't blow smoke up our rears with the holier than thou comments. AHS was the SMU of NCHS football during that time. Good luck with the Chatham Centrals and South Davidson's of the world. That's the only victories you're going to see for quite some time.

Well tango is objective, but he is also an Albemarle grad so I give him some grace when he talks about the Bulldogs. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#54 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

Please explain how then for the entire history of Albemarle High School they were irrelevant in football until all of a sudden the "open" enrollment policy began in Stanly County? After a 10-12 year run they have once again fell back to bottom feeders. Now do you want to discuss TA and his living arrangements while in high school and his penchant for discipline issues? No need to keep this going. It is what it is. Anyways, good luck next season!!

The enrollment policies did not change drastically when the two systems merged around 1997. If anything it became more difficult to transfer without a physical residence move. There was not an open enrollment in Stanly County until two years ago when they had had a one week period to do so. Currently students are being allowed to attend a school that offers the classes they wish to take. AHS does not have the offerings some schools have.

TA's mother attended Albemarle all twelve years and she lives in town today as she always has. His grandparents were part of the nuclear family.

The bottom feeder issue has to do with the massive loss of numbers as I alluded to earlier and having six coaches in six years as of next season. Burlington Cummings was one of the premier programs in the state, how are they now. There are others but AHS is one of the most severe drop offs. Once again, note the drop to 1A is one of the biggest reasons for the success.

#55 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

Catholic you are correct. But don't let ol' Tango's facts get in the way of the truth. He's well known on TOS. He's been a blowhard about AHS for years. Questioning the fact that they are the Gold Standard of NCHS football is pure blasphemy I tell you!!! Schools that are perennial powers with no district changes or new schools opening may have one or two off years every 10-15 years and it's expected. But for a school to have ZERO to speak of and then all of a sudden win 5 titles to only fall back to the wasteland should make any legitimate sports fan suspicious. Especially with the stories and known facts around those title runs. You can clamor all you want about home grown this, home grown that. Sure, a majority of the kids were from Stanly County.

I can assure you I have never in any way considered AHS the gold standard of NC high school football. I see the best teams in the state play and they have never been that. I rarely go see AHS play. I pick out the game I can / want to attend whether it is in NC or out of state.

I had many from Albemarle tell me AHS was an elite team in the state but I knew better. I also called their coach when I was told by Davidson Day's coach they were playing. I told him it was a real bad matchup.

Anyone who knows me or has read anything I have ever posted knows that I think Stanly County should have two high schools.

Who were the players from West Montgomery that suited up for Albemarle?

#56 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

Well tango is objective, but he is also an Albemarle grad so I give him some grace when he talks about the Bulldogs.

I am realistic as you know. I am not close to the homer that WM is. His track record is consistent and solid. Just go back and read his posts from the past.

#57 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

I am realistic as you know. I am not close to the homer that WM is. His track record is consistent and solid. Just go back and read his posts from the past.

I agree. You are as objective as they come. You are not a homer at all, what I meant to say was I don't really care if you had a little soft spot for the Bulldogs since you are one. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#58 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

There are a lot of issues in Albemarle and at AHS. Losing 40% of the student body is tough, a lack of support from the BOE, and a nonchalant attitude / my kids don't go there now attitude is crushing.

#59 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

WM1977 is a conspiracy theorist. I suppose there will be some nasty reason Mitchell has had they're success the last 6 or 7 years. His last one was surrounding MICS and charter schools being cheaters. He shut that up real quick when his $#!+y pipe dreams of West Montgomery Charter School came up...

#60 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

WM1977 is a conspiracy theorist. I suppose there will be some nasty reason Mitchell has had they're success the last 6 or 7 years. His last one was surrounding MICS and charter schools being cheaters. He shut that up real quick when his $#!+y pipe dreams of West Montgomery Charter School came up...

He is a bully who loves to spread BS, but will run and cower when his team gets beat or he gets proven wrong. Which is quite often

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#61 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

Must be talking about him getting proven wrong, because we don't get beat often

#62 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

Must be talking about him getting proven wrong, because we don't get beat often

Yes but he scurries the times you do. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#63 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

Not scurrying.... Not running. Just sitting back and watching the circus. I never have scurried after a loss.

#64 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

He only could have scurried once last year, not a bad percentage 77

#65 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:11 PM

Gotta love the fans...some of us have been on the boards since 2002. Catholic I believe is one of them. Footsoldier from Catholic was a beast back in the day. AHS had a great group..Precious was the best.

#66 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

Gotta love the fans...some of us have been on the boards since 2002. Catholic I believe is one of them. Footsoldier from Catholic was a beast back in the day. AHS had a great group..Precious was the best.

Footsoldier still lingers. lol

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#67 Lionheart1986

Lionheart1986

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

I just hope Mitchell and West Montgomery meet this year in the playoffs.

#68 redy4friday

redy4friday

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:20 AM

Why do you say that Lionheart?

#69 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

I just hope Mitchell and West Montgomery meet this year in the playoffs.

What does that have to do with Albemarle???

#70 Lionheart1986

Lionheart1986

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:21 PM

Why do you say that Lionheart?

I would love to see the match up.

#71 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

Low numbers hurt. Very few can win with low numbers.
Robbinsville 350.

#72 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

I like to give the NCC a tough time but I will have to give them props on the issues they are having with the BOE. It's become obvious that the elected official(s) they are dealing with has an agenda. It's to see them never field a competitive football team again. Consolidation and wiping them off the map is the end goal. As bad as it gets I am coming on here with my hat in my hand and telling them that I honestly feel bad for the dedicated fans that have stood by them through the good and the bad. Numbers matter Knights. But when you have community support they can be overcome. Not taking anything away from your team's accomplishments but have you, your school or your team ever had to battle the County Administration at every single level in order to keep the doors open? No. Not many schools have. What's going on there politically would have been detrimental to the best 4A school. If and when Jackson is named you really have to wonder what he's thinking. I can't name one positive thing about the situation that would warrant willfully signing on to take that job. Parents who have kids that want them to play competitive football should honestly move them elsewhere. It's that bad. Not to mention the so-so fans won't be there and the away games will have less than 50 fans in attendance. The CC/SD game may have 200 people total. Albemarle may be the 0 fer team this season. 

#73 buddy rich

buddy rich

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

I have been a bulldogs fan since 1951..Went to school at AHS and have followed the bulldogs ever since. We had 2 great runs ..In the 1950's and 2000's..Why ? Because of 2 great coaches..Toby Webb and Jack Gaster.....I was also a charter member of the NCC....What a fun time....All the years in between were really bad......Fast forward to today..I believe this past BOE started our downfall...And now with Melvin Poole in charge at the present time, I think it will continue...We probably will never recover at AHS, but only time will tell...Anyway we do have 5 state title trophys in our trophy case and they will always be there....They were won on the field of play by the kids playing and nothing can ever change that....Glad I was there to see it and NOTHING can ever make that thrill go away..GO DOGS.....

#74 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

What is so bad about consolidation? Shouldn't it save the county money to have 2 HS' in Stanly County instead of 4? Isn't that a smart thing to do? 

Sure Albemarle has a lot of history, but I don't think that should be a determining factor when it comes to consolidation, a lot of schools have history and have consolidated into others. I mean Williamston in 1A had quite a bit of success, but was consolidated to form Riverside if I'm not mistaken.

I believe consolidation is the only way to go here if you are talking about the most logical way, but as I have said before the most logical thing is not always what is done in Stanly County. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#75 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,992 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:54 PM

I agree 100% in this situation, there most certainly be should be a consolidation of some sorts in Stanly County. Using broad strokes you would assume West/South and North/Albemarle would consolidate with the school buildings at West and Albemarle HS's remaining in use with a rebranding of names, colors, and mascots. It would be costly but would also save a great deal of money.

I beleive if done right and just, but schools could solidly be 2A schools with the Western school being slightly larger.

I think a complete overhaul of district boundaries should be drawn and hopefully political gerrymandering stays out of the process.

I personally still like the idea of a single Stanly high school.

JeffChapman-Dynamic