Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Albemarle head football coaching position open

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#26 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,513 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

No dog or cat in the fight here, but when did Albemarle football go into a downward spiral?  2014 under Doug Talbert, with a record of 1-10 that included and seven forfeit losses?  Or, 2015, under Scott Smith, with the Bulldogs finishing 3-9?

#27 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

No dog or cat in the fight here, but when did Albemarle football go into a downward spiral?  2014 under Doug Talbert, with a record of 1-10 that included and seven forfeit losses?  Or, 2015, under Scott Smith, with the Bulldogs finishing 3-9?

It started long ago as a drizzle before the full storm.  They were 8-3 on the field with Talbert who was thrown in the deep end very late when Smith resigned.  First time HFC and first time AD led to issues on documentation for the 8 quarter rule.  

I don't think you can blame the failures of football on a head coach there.

#28 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

You can't blame a coach, an AD, or just one person.  It all points to administration ...

#29 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

It all seems like the BOE over there has their heads stck in the sand while all this mess is happening ...

#30 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Will be surprised if they field a team from what the rumblings are coming out of Stanly County. Many returning players are looking to play elsewhere.

#31 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

word is they are hiring ralph jackson as coach

#32 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:37 PM

word is they are hiring ralph jackson as coach

I would be surprised if Ralph makes that move but may be there are issues at Anson.  Non conference schedule looks tough!  Think Ralph would like a better situation and a pay raise not the exact opposite of both.  I do think the new principal may have coached at Anson at one time and came to AHS from there.

I think Anson will be much more competitive in 2A.

#33 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

Funny that I see where some Albemarle fans are complaining about kids transferring out!!! Oh the irony of that one. Whoever takes over the AHS job has more than their work cut out for them. AHS is a 1-3 win team for at least the next 5-6 years. Now, if all of a sudden the "doors" open like in days past who knows, maybe they'll have a run again. I don't see it happening. Too many rules, restrictions and eyes watching to allow what happened at AHS in the past happen again. It's not 1998 anymore!! Social media has made sure that the minute something fishy happens someone is there with a camera. TA wouldn't have lasted one season had that been the case when he was in high school.

#34 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

JV Team

• Coach
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

My understanding is GSD doesn't have a football team, yet anyway. This would be the opportunity for GSD to bid into Albemarle, the school board could wipe their hands of albemarle and consolidate the remaining high schools. Cost saving for the district and GSD gets an expansion and football program.

#35 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

Funny that I see where some Albemarle fans are complaining about kids transferring out!!! Oh the irony of that one. Whoever takes over the AHS job has more than their work cut out for them. AHS is a 1-3 win team for at least the next 5-6 years. Now, if all of a sudden the "doors" open like in days past who knows, maybe they'll have a run again. I don't see it happening. Too many rules, restrictions and eyes watching to allow what happened at AHS in the past happen again. It's not 1998 anymore!! Social media has made sure that the minute something fishy happens someone is there with a camera. TA wouldn't have lasted one season had that been the case when he was in high school.

I am sure there were some players that were at AHS because of football but those numbers would have been low.  Most of the kids came up through the youth football league and many had parents that attended AHS.  Some were legitmate relocations.  There were some really impressive footballers in Stanly County in the early 2000's that did not attend AHS.  One was a Parade AA.  Another was a multi time All ACC at UNC.  A few others were starters at D1A schools.  I would expect those would be the ones that went to AHS.

You bash Albemarle at every opportunity.  You never provide any definitive information. 

#36 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

My understanding is GSD doesn't have a football team, yet anyway. This would be the opportunity for GSD to bid into Albemarle, the school board could wipe their hands of albemarle and consolidate the remaining high schools. Cost saving for the district and GSD gets an expansion and football program.

GSD is over twenty minutes from AHS door to door.  No transportation and no cafeteria so no government subsidized meals.  The curriculum and homework requirements are much more advanced.  Probably would not work that smoothly.  In addition I do not think they really have a desire for football.

#37 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

Proper decorum and possibly board rules prevent mentioning players by name and as a rule of thumb I agree with that rule 100%. I do know for a fact that several students who lived in the West Montgomery school district attended Albemarle for their last three years of high school. A few even started as freshmen and went all four years. I believe the total was 5 students over a total of 7 years that played significant roles in the a few of their title years. Did they make the difference? No. But, you add in the ones from around Stanly County, the loosely followed academics and discipline and you see why so many have disdain for AHS. Take away that 10-12 year run and what do you have? I'll tell you what you have. Exactly what you've seen the last three years. So if you are a sports fan and statistics matter riddle me this. The so called "glory" years of Albemarle more a sign of things to come, years of dedication, hard work and a rich tradition of athletes and athletic success or was it a perfect storm of liberal interpretation of the rules, attendance policies and coaching staffs that were quick to look the other way and cover for star athletes on and off the field? I promise you that if smart phones were available back then there is no way in hell that AHS would have 5 titles. If I were you I'd just sit back and enjoy the run that AHS had and leave well enough alone. Imagine if there was a 30 for 30 in NCHS football. Would you want them to come in and do a tell all about those years?

#38 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

The students in question are no longer minors. You are most definitely allowed to post the names of players that played at AHS that lived outside the district if they are now out of high school.  

#39 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,333 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

The students in question are no longer minors. You are most definitely allowed to post the names of players that played at AHS that lived outside the district if they are now out of high school.

I agree, if the players at question are now legal adults, well into their 20's or 30's, then have at it.

#40 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:55 AM

With all due respect I view that calling out individual players is inappropriate regardless of age. It is a well known fact it happened and most of Albemarle fans have admitted and accepted that the practice went on. I referenced it to prove a point. The point being that a school that has historically finished at or in the bottom of their conferences for 50+ years has a 10 year run of success and then suddenly falls back to the bottom of one of if not the weakest conferences in the state there's a reason. The reason has been stated. The hangers on to the idea that all the talent was walking the halls of the city school system are kidding themselves. If that's the case then where did all of the stud athletes all of a sudden disappear to? And I'll leave it at that.

#41 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:20 AM

"Where have all the studs gone" can partly be answered by the fact that AHS had over 680 students in the early 2000's. As of April 3rd there are right at 400 enrolled. The best basketball players at AHS and some top baseballers along with other top athletes are no longer at AHS. SCS allowed them to leave due to the lack of academic offerings. One family moved specifically to get out of the district.

AHS played in the ultra competitve WNCHSAA as their numbers dwindled into 2A territory and were 3A after the state merger. In 1992 then football coach Tom Eanes requested the admin accept their 1A placement for the upcoming alignment. That did not happen until the 2001 alignment coinciding with the first title.

AHS was an elite state power in the 1940's and 1950's. In the early 1970's it looked like they turned the corner but the coach lasted two years before heading to college and then professionally. AHS had decent teams in the 1980's but not great success.

Gaster's second team went 12-1 in an excellent 2A conference. Third team lost four games, three by less than a TD and then went back to double digit wins from then on. The players from the title teams mostly came through the youth league which Gaster established.

In 2000 AHS was one of the smallest 2A schools. In 1A they were one of the largest 2001-2004. There is a significant drop off overall between 2A and 1A. Not sure they win titles in 2A.

I expect, like most successful teams, some players moved in for football. To say that is the reason for success is ridiculous but with the source or messenger it is expected.

#42 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

With all due respect I view that calling out individual players is inappropriate regardless of age.

But you feel free to repeatedly talk negative about teams and insinuate illegal or unethical behavior with zero supporting info.

#43 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

Please explain how then for the entire history of Albemarle High School they were irrelevant in football until all of a sudden the "open" enrollment policy began in Stanly County? After a 10-12 year run they have once again fell back to bottom feeders. Now do you want to discuss TA and his living arrangements while in high school and his penchant for discipline issues? No need to keep this going. It is what it is. Anyways, good luck next season!!

#44 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Catholic you are correct. But don't let ol' Tango's facts get in the way of the truth. He's well known on TOS. He's been a blowhard about AHS for years. Questioning the fact that they are the Gold Standard of NCHS football is pure blasphemy I tell you!!! Schools that are perennial powers with no district changes or new schools opening may have one or two off years every 10-15 years and it's expected. But for a school to have ZERO to speak of and then all of a sudden win 5 titles to only fall back to the wasteland should make any legitimate sports fan suspicious. Especially with the stories and known facts around those title runs. You can clamor all you want about home grown this, home grown that. Sure, a majority of the kids were from Stanly County. The shenanigans involved with many of those players were known to the community. Let's not forget that many share weekends on Tillery and Badin and the stories are shared. So just own the fact that AHS won 5 titles. That'll never change. But also don't blow smoke up our rears with the holier than thou comments. AHS was the SMU of NCHS football during that time. Good luck with the Chatham Centrals and South Davidson's of the world. That's the only victories you're going to see for quite some time.

#45 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

You are correct Cougars 1997 was the change to 1A which actually supports the reason for the improvement further. The biggest difference between the classes is 1A to 2A. Doubtful AHS wins titles in 2A especially five.

#46 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

Please explain how then for the entire history of Albemarle High School they were irrelevant in football until all of a sudden the "open" enrollment policy began in Stanly County? After a 10-12 year run they have once again fell back to bottom feeders. Now do you want to discuss TA and his living arrangements while in high school and his penchant for discipline issues? No need to keep this going. It is what it is. Anyways, good luck next season!!

The enrollment policies did not change drastically when the two systems merged around 1997. If anything it became more difficult to transfer without a physical residence move. There was not an open enrollment in Stanly County until two years ago when they had had a one week period to do so. Currently students are being allowed to attend a school that offers the classes they wish to take. AHS does not have the offerings some schools have.

TA's mother attended Albemarle all twelve years and she lives in town today as she always has. His grandparents were part of the nuclear family.

The bottom feeder issue has to do with the massive loss of numbers as I alluded to earlier and having six coaches in six years as of next season. Burlington Cummings was one of the premier programs in the state, how are they now. There are others but AHS is one of the most severe drop offs. Once again, note the drop to 1A is one of the biggest reasons for the success.

#47 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

Catholic you are correct. But don't let ol' Tango's facts get in the way of the truth. He's well known on TOS. He's been a blowhard about AHS for years. Questioning the fact that they are the Gold Standard of NCHS football is pure blasphemy I tell you!!! Schools that are perennial powers with no district changes or new schools opening may have one or two off years every 10-15 years and it's expected. But for a school to have ZERO to speak of and then all of a sudden win 5 titles to only fall back to the wasteland should make any legitimate sports fan suspicious. Especially with the stories and known facts around those title runs. You can clamor all you want about home grown this, home grown that. Sure, a majority of the kids were from Stanly County.

I can assure you I have never in any way considered AHS the gold standard of NC high school football. I see the best teams in the state play and they have never been that. I rarely go see AHS play. I pick out the game I can / want to attend whether it is in NC or out of state.

I had many from Albemarle tell me AHS was an elite team in the state but I knew better. I also called their coach when I was told by Davidson Day's coach they were playing. I told him it was a real bad matchup.

Anyone who knows me or has read anything I have ever posted knows that I think Stanly County should have two high schools.

Who were the players from West Montgomery that suited up for Albemarle?

#48 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

Well tango is objective, but he is also an Albemarle grad so I give him some grace when he talks about the Bulldogs.

I am realistic as you know. I am not close to the homer that WM is. His track record is consistent and solid. Just go back and read his posts from the past.

#49 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

There are a lot of issues in Albemarle and at AHS. Losing 40% of the student body is tough, a lack of support from the BOE, and a nonchalant attitude / my kids don't go there now attitude is crushing.

#50 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

WM1977 is a conspiracy theorist. I suppose there will be some nasty reason Mitchell has had they're success the last 6 or 7 years. His last one was surrounding MICS and charter schools being cheaters. He shut that up real quick when his $#!+y pipe dreams of West Montgomery Charter School came up...

JeffChapman-Dynamic