Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Albemarle head football coaching position open

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,866 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

See link 

Link: CarolinaPreps.com - Mason out at Albemarle

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,866 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

I do hate this for Mason, I have run into him several times this winter at coaching clinics and he was really excited about getting things going and finally trying to build on some continuity. If any schools in the area have a P.E. coaching position open, I'd really reach out to him, he's a very solid coach and is looking for a job. 

#3 FBfan70

FBfan70

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:31 AM

Are you flipping serious?? I feel so terrible for the kids at Albemarle High School. I understand that sometimes principals want to make their own hires but how on God's green earth could this new principal feel that in this particular situation making a coaching change would be in the best interest of the kids considering what has been going on the last 4 years there with all of the turnover. I just don't get it. There has to be egos involved here 

#4 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

Do folks in Stanly County and Albemarle really know what the heck they want???  The soap opera continues ...

#5 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

They probably should have closed that place down when they had the chance. Not sure what coach would want to come into a situation like what is going on there. What will that be? 5 coaches in 7 years now? At least South Davidson and Chatham Central will have a chance at a conference W next season again.

#6 FBfan70

FBfan70

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

They probably should have closed that place down when they had the chance. Not sure what coach would want to come into a situation like what is going on there. What will that be? 5 coaches in 7 years now? At least South Davidson and Chatham Central will have a chance at a conference W next season again.

No sir, if my math is right this will be their 5th coach 5 years. A new coach at the helm for 5 straight seasons... ridiculous

#7 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,866 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

It will be 6th different coach in 6 years. 

2012: Danny Akins

2013: Seth Smith

2014: Doug Talbert

2015: Scott Smith

2016: Jim Mason

2017: TBD

#8 FBfan70

FBfan70

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

Wow... I didn't realize Seth was only one year. That's crazy. What a shame

#9 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

Wow.... Well, if anyone who knows football history in the area can tell you the fact that Albemarle had success in the early 2000's and up until four years ago this is more of the Albemarle standard. Albemarle was perennial homecoming opponents for decades. West Montgomery and Albemarle didn't play but maybe a couple of times prior to being in the same conference. West wouldn't have gained anything from it and Albemarle didn't want any part of West Montgomery. The Bulldogs had a good run and won five titles. Congratulations on that. West has yet to win won and it looks like it's going to be tough to get the next three years with Edenton and Tarboro stacked. But that being said, Albemarle was never a perennial contender for their conference much less State. So for those that think the mighty have fallen may want to look up their past and realize they didn't fall, they just returned home.

#10 BlueBlood93

BlueBlood93

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

Ouch. That's pretty tough. However, as the age old adage says, Its better to have won a championship loved and lost, than to never won a championship loved at all.

Wow.... Well, if anyone who knows football history in the area can tell you the fact that Albemarle had success in the early 2000's and up until four years ago this is more of the Albemarle standard. Albemarle was perennial homecoming opponents for decades. West Montgomery and Albemarle didn't play but maybe a couple of times prior to being in the same conference. West wouldn't have gained anything from it and Albemarle didn't want any part of West Montgomery. The Bulldogs had a good run and won five titles. Congratulations on that. West has yet to win won and it looks like it's going to be tough to get the next three years with Edenton and Tarboro stacked. But that being said, Albemarle was never a perennial contender for their conference much less State. So for those that think the mighty have fallen may want to look up their past and realize they didn't fall, they just returned home.

#11 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

I agree. I hate this for the kids, it will now be 6 coaches in 6 years. I think they should've consolidated in Stanly County when they had the chance, but that made too much sense I guess. 

I honestly do not know who would want this job, but they need to find someone and stay committed to him for at least a few years to bring some stability to that program. Didn't the AD get let go too?

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#12 Ladge

Ladge

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

The AD position is open, the current/former AD was told that he could apply for the opening.

#13 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

Guess winning championships will always make the crowd remember the good ol' days. Just ask the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions. Both used to be perennial powerhouses in the NFL in the 30's, 40's and 50's....... West may not have won a State Title yet, there's still time, they have had one season that resembles the last three of Albemarle. If you are asking me would I trade 56 years of success over 5 titles and 50 years of sub .500 mediocrity....that's tough. Honestly, I'd rather have 55 years of having a chance at State than having a 12 year run of five titles and then being relegated to bottom feeders. West may very well go down as the best program in the state to have never won a State Championship. But, only one team does and I don't think that there are too many schools in 1A/2A that have had the success that West Montgomery has had since 1961. I'm sure maybe a dozen or more at most have the number of Conference Titles, consecutive playoff streak, (when it really was an accomplishment), seasons above .500 and overall wins, consecutive streaks of Conference Titles that West has. That'd be an interesting stat for someone to come up with!! 

#14 BlueBlood93

BlueBlood93

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

No doubt, wm1977. Short term success with rings vs. Long term success w/o rings is certainly a conversation worth having. Just as you prefer the winning % and conference trophies, I prefer the rings. There is not a right/wrong answer. Just personal preferences. :)

#15 new_dawg

new_dawg

JV Team

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

Are you flipping serious?? I feel so terrible for the kids at Albemarle High School. I understand that sometimes principals want to make their own hires but how on God's green earth could this new principal feel that in this particular situation making a coaching change would be in the best interest of the kids considering what has been going on the last 4 years there with all of the turnover. I just don't get it. There has to be egos involved here 

Word is that the new principal was directed to make this change by the Stanly County Schools Administration.   You can rest assured that at least some of the imbeciles on the Stanly County School Board had a hand in this action.

#16 new_dawg

new_dawg

JV Team

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

The AD position is open, the current/former AD was told that he could apply for the opening.

I believe the current AD would be justified in handing them his re-application and telling them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

#17 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,866 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Word is that the new principal was directed to make this change by the Stanly County Schools Administration. You can rest assured that at least some of the imbeciles on the Stanly County School Board had a hand in this action.

I'm going to stop short in actually stating this, but it's almost as if a small group has colluded together over the years in an attempt to actually do all they can to see this school fail, whether in an attempt to show cause for closing it, or potentially envy and settling the score in their own ways for the years of athletic beatings they took at the hands of the Bulldogs.

#18 new_dawg

new_dawg

JV Team

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:44 PM

I'm going to stop short in actually stating this, but it's almost as if a small group has colluded together over the years in an attempt to actually do all they can to see this school fail, whether in an attempt to show cause for closing it, or potentially envy and settling the score in their own ways for the years of athletic beatings they took at the hands of the Bulldogs.

Chris, I think you are absolutely, positively, 100% correct.   

#19 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:40 PM

Agree with you Chris. Many may argue this, but, I witnessed the rise of the Bulldogs. Stanly County was very "liberal" with the attendance policies when Albemarle started winning. The other schools in the county were hit with many losses. On the field and off the field. Running the score up, having questionable standards, players in and out of trouble but playing on Friday nights and most of all, the money that AHS made from the games, concessions and support from the other parts of the county. When you flaunt success at the expense of others you have to settle up sooner or later. Again, I'm not taking anything away from the Bulldogs. But, if there was a 30 for 30 on the program................... West Montgomery was in a bad place then. There were several Mt. Gilead residents on a few of those teams. No, I don't have rosters, or addresses. I have facts. Good luck to Albemarle. They'll need it. They have a great fan base, several posters who are great people and fans. To say this wasn't expected would be kidding ourselves. Enjoy the run you had and hope for better days to come. One thing for sure, Albemarle is within the 25 mile radius.

#20 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:16 AM

Albemarle is done. Simple as that. Recruiting stopped and so did the Dawg train. That's all I have to say about that.

#21 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

I have no tie downs to Albemarle but, I sure miss the match ups Albemarle vs Thomasville they were classic. And i believe Albemarle vs North Rowan were big match ups. I was at the 1994 game at North Rowan.. Albemarle won that  game 28-21 with Tory Rushing and North Rowan Mitch Ellis. That was probably the best game i watch in 1994. I am sure Albemarle will get back on track, but it might take awhile.

#22 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

Albemarle has zero chance of returning to the glory days. The attitude in the community as well as the support is back to the days of old.

#23 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

Albemarle High's fate was determined when Gray Stone Day Charter was built. The parents got their relief from the undisciplined atmosphere at Albemarle. Time to consolidate, reduce the number of schools, and move into the future. Hiring a coach for one year is unethical unless he just is not competent. It's a tough place to win. Best of luck to coach and AD. Who's to blame for the school board's actions? The county voters are.

#24 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

Albemarle High's fate was determined when Gray Stone Day Charter was built. The parents got their relief from the undisciplined atmosphere at Albemarle. Time to consolidate, reduce the number of schools, and move into the future. Hiring a coach for one year is unethical unless he just is not competent. It's a tough place to win. Best of luck to coach and AD. Who's to blame for the school board's actions? The county voters are.

It is time to consolidate. While GSD did not affect the football it did take away students. Consolidation is not a bad thing, it'd save money and make things a whole lot simpler.

Then again, what makes the most sense and is the smartest thing to do is not always what is done in Stanly County....

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#25 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,294 posts