Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

2017 1a ranking predictions

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

Since its realignment year, we've got teams shifting classification, not to mention some big coaching changes in the small ball. Who do ya'll think the top teams are this year? I would have to think Murphy is the frontrunner headed into August (no not because they beat Mitchell last year), but because they return a lot of talent from a championship team that had one knarly defense. Tarboro should reload, and with certain dynasties out of the way, should have their way with the east 1aa, But East Carteret will have something to say about it. East Wilkes returns a lot from a solid season, and Mount Airy should continue being Mount Airy. Polk returns to 1a, and with Coach Ollis back in the saddle, should be a force to contend with. Plymouth surprises me every single year, so ill just let them be top dog in eastern 1a. Mitchell returns all but 3 starters from a western final team and will have the usual size, and should have a fair amount of speed to compete. The big question tho, what about Mountain Island? Was last season a fluke? Will they reload with more Meck/Lincoln/Gaston talent? Here's a bakers dozen;

1. West Montgomery
2. West Montgomery
3. Murphy
4. West Montgomery
5. West Montgomery
6. West Montgomery
7. Holmes
8. Chatham Central
9. West Montgomery
10. Mount Airy
11. West Montgomery
12. Swain
13. West Montgomery

1,085,264,439. Mitchell (if they are lucky)

#2 FBfan70

FBfan70

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

You left Edenton Holmes off your list. Remember they are dropping down from 2A and just played for the title

#3 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:20 AM

No West Montgomery??? Wow..... that's AWESOME!!!!

#4 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

1. edenton holmes
2. murphy
3. tarboro
4. mitchell
5. plymouth
6. east carteret
7. north rowan
8 mount airy
9. west montgomery
10. swain
11.Cherokee
12. polk
13. east surry or mtn island

#5 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

Mitchell won't put West Montgomery in the top ten even though they will be a top 5 team by the end of the season. What many don't realize is how young the Warriors were last year and what they have coming back. Not to mention Mitchell doesn't know the difference between two or three good years and a PROGRAM. West has had a couple of weeks of disarray, no fault of their own, but to discount the Warriors is an insult. But to that I will say consider the source.

#6 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

I indeed forgot about holmes dropping to 1a. WM1977, you are welcome to make your own rankings. I'm not in Montgomery County, but from over here, it looks like things are in a foul state. I just don't see much out of WM with a new coach and the school inevitably closing. I will, of course, eat my words if the warriors prove me wrong.

#7 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

KW23, I see you've put North Rowan on your list. I thought they lost a lot to graduation this year.  Are they in position to make some noise?

#8 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

LOL!!!! A foul state.....my, my, my....this isn't college where the players can up and abandon ship. There's a new coach and he has one hell of a resume'. The assistants who have been with the program 10+ years are still there. The graduating class was awesome. But so are the jrs., sophomores and freshmen that started on last years team. West returns 16 starters and an additional 7 players that saw significant playing time. The new starting QB would have been the starting QB the last two years had it not been for Jackson Dozier and the skill set he brought. The new QB, well, let's just keep that quiet for when he starts showing what he's got. West Montgomery will be bigger and faster than they were last year. Damon Rhone isn't as fast as Leake but he's a heck of a lot bigger and looks for contact. Sit back up there on your Mountain and think that West Montgomery won't be in the mix. I'll make sure this post is saved come November. We will see who's who in 1AA football again. By the way, get your straw ready to eat. I figure since your up in Mitchell County your teeth have long since left you!!!

#9 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

1. Tarboro
2. Murphy
3. Edenton Holmes
4. North Rowan
5. West Montgomery
6. East Carteret
7. Plymouth
8. Mitchell
9. Cherokee
10. Polk County
11. Thomas Jefferson
12. North Stanly
13. Mount Airy
14. Swain County
15. Riverside Martin
16. East Surry
17. South Stokes
18. Mountain Island Charter
19. North Edgecombe
20. Granville Central
21. Pender
22. Southside
23. Lakewood
24. Robbinsville
25. Manteo

#10 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

I'd have to go with Holmes #1..... They will pick up where WRH left off. East Surry top 10. North Rowan not in the top 10. North Stanly WAY WAY WAY too high..... Mt. Airy could be higher. Depending on the transfers they pick up during the offseason. And that doesn't violate board rules. That's a fact. Other than that great list. Good job. Any word on when you are officially going to announce West Montgomery's new coach. It's already a done deal. I don't want to say it yet unless it's been "official". Also curious if you have spoken with Coach Hanner since he resigned?

#11 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

Nobody, especially not me said you have violated the rules.

You're way off on North Rowan not being top-10. Also North Stanly also brings back nearly everyone from last year.

#12 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

No, I've not spoken to Hanner. I stated as much on other thread. I don't know anything as to what's gone down or the why's.

#13 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

Swain County predicted to be at 14th - I certainly anticipate Swain County being able to build on some momentum this season and build a solid foundation for the near future!       

The key this season will be the Senior class and their leadership.  Not to mention our passing game with our quarterback and top two receivers back from last years team.  I also see a group of 20+ sophomores that are poised to make a statement this season up from last years "undefeated" JV SMC Championship team.  I would have favored this Swain JV team vs. any 1a JV team in the state last season. 

With strong 2020, 2021 and 2022 classes, the future is starting to get brighter for Swain County!  I can't wait to watch this team develop over the next few years!              

#14 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

WM may very well be better than last year. Time will tell. Stay tuned Mountie.

#15 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Dang, I'm sorry I got all your panties in a wad. Sorry for having an opinion. I've revised my personal rankings so to appeal to all.

#16 Lionheart1986

Lionheart1986

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

Want East Bladen be in 1a

#17 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

Your personal rankings mean absolutely nothing. Good try I'll give u an A for effort

#18 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:00 PM

Your personal rankings mean absolutely nothing. Good try I'll give u an A for effort

My point exactly. So why take such offense?

#19 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

Who said I did? Read my post. Simply said WM may very well be better than last year and for u to stay tuned. How is that taking anything offensively?

#20 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:07 AM

So Mountie you intentionally took a jab at West Montgomery and now you are pouting when most people laughed at your "poll?" Now you are behaving like a spoiled brat. That's typical of someone who isn't accustomed to having success. Like I said, there's a big difference between a few good years and a program. Maybe somebody will give you your pacifier back and you can go on with your day. The only thing that makes you look more like a child than your first poll is your second one. Way to go Champ!!!

#21 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

Plymouth vs Murphy 1A The weekend of Dec.9th

In the East Tarboro vs Edenton Holmes Friday Dec 1st  for the Semi Finals. Strength of schedule could favor Edenton.

In the West up  for grabs between North Rowan , MT Airy, and West Montgomery.

#22 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:37 AM

chris do u think south stokes is going to be that good? that is the only real shocker i see on the list?

#23 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

South Stokes brings some very good talent back from a core group of players that in my opinion really sparked a turnaround last season.   While yes they only went 2-9, they averaged 26.2 points per game while giving up 32.7.  I also feel the 2-9 record is a bit deceiving.  They lost 15-6 to East Wilkes, 39-37 to Forbush, and 40-35 to North Surry.  In fact, with the exception of losing 42-14 to West Stokes and 40-7 to Carver, they were in every game the played. 

The one thing Paul Hall has been able to do is get their numbers up.  That and playing a more manageable schedule, I think they Sauras can be a very surprising team. 

I could see them win as many as 8 but you could also fall to some bigger teams with more athleticism like Trinity, Mount Airy, and Bartlett Yancey. 

#24 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

they lost to my alleghany pitiful trojans last year is what im going off of

#25 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

So Mountie you intentionally took a jab at West Montgomery and now you are pouting when most people laughed at your "poll?" Now you are behaving like a spoiled brat. That's typical of someone who isn't accustomed to having success. Like I said, there's a big difference between a few good years and a program. Maybe somebody will give you your pacifier back and you can go on with your day. The only thing that makes you look more like a child than your first poll is your second one. Way to go Champ!!!

I never took a jab at West Montgomery. YOU took offense when I didn't place them in my top-13. So chill out old timer, its not even August yet. And I'm still waiting on your poll...

JeffChapman-Dynamic