Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

My early 2017 NPC Prediction

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

Just  to put my 2 cents worth for Statesville. For the SHS Coaching Staff, they need to play their best players on both sides more often. Maybe, I don't know jack squat to what goes on in practice or the film room. I  do truly believe if Coach Gusler and the Staff would crap out the platoon system, especially in big games and critical moments. They might get better results for the team. And my reason for saying it is. These are teenage kids, they can run forever out there on that field. Its not going to kill them. I have watch a lot of great High School football teams over the years. A lot of great teams  play their best players on both sides including 3A and 4A Schools. I watch Lincolnton play a couple of times last year. Most of their Starters go both ways. Kannapolis under Bruce Hardin. Some of their  best players went both ways. Other include Reidsville School that has won more State Titles then any other program in the State. I have seen Richmond do it in the past when they had Michael Waddell. Burlington Cummings did it quite a bit back in their glory years. The best story was the 2010 Davie County that finish regular season with a 5-6 record. Going into the Play-offs they crap out the platoon system and put their best players on both sides. They made it to the State Championship with a 9-6 Record, but got blown out 40-0 to Durham Hillside. Like  I stated earlier Statesville might get better results. The Coaching Staff at SHS need to take this more seriously. I feel if they don't the results are going to be a repeat of last year.  I am expecting a better Statesville team in 2017. They have players coming back. I don't want to hear any more excuse on the Radio on Saturday Morning.       

#27 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

I agree wth you on that. I remember back in 93' n 94' season that South Iredell had only like 28 players on the roster. By the second game of the season they were down to 23 or so players because of injuries. Of course they had to play both ways. They had several studs that ran the ball and also were DB. I remember them winning the conference those two years. In the 93 season they played Crest and only lost 7-0. And in 94 season they lost to Crest 10-3. I believe it was that year Crest went undefeated and won the state 4A championship game. Perhaps a fluke with SI losing that close to Crest. But SI did struggle with injuries but SI did had some good quality players.

#28 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

Just to put my 2 cents worth for Statesville. For the SHS Coaching Staff, they need to play their best players on both sides more often. Maybe, I don't know jack squat to what goes on in practice or the film room. I do truly believe if Coach Gusler and the Staff would crap out the platoon system, especially in big games and critical moments. They might get better results for the team. And my reason for saying it is. These are teenage kids, they can run forever out there on that field. Its not going to kill them. I have watch a lot of great High School football teams over the years. A lot of great teams play their best players on both sides including 3A and 4A Schools. I watch Lincolnton play a couple of times last year. Most of their Starters go both ways. Kannapolis under Bruce Hardin. Some of their best players went both ways. Other include Reidsville School that has won more State Titles then any other program in the State. I have seen Richmond do it in the past when they had Michael Waddell. Burlington Cummings did it quite a bit back in their glory years. The best story was the 2010 Davie County that finish regular season with a 5-6 record. Going into the Play-offs they crap out the platoon system and put their best players on both sides. They made it to the State Championship with a 9-6 Record, but got blown out 40-0 to Durham Hillside. Like I stated earlier Statesville might get better results. The Coaching Staff at SHS need to take this more seriously. I feel if they don't the results are going to be a repeat of last year. I am expecting a better Statesville team in 2017. They have players coming back. I don't want to hear any more excuse on the Radio on Saturday Morning.

+1

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#29 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:40 PM

I agree wth you on that. I remember back in 93' n 94' season that South Iredell had only like 28 players on the roster. By the second game of the season they were down to 23 or so players because of injuries. Of course they had to play both ways. They had several studs that ran the ball and also were DB. I remember them winning the conference those two years. In the 93 season they played Crest and only lost 7-0. And in 94 season they lost to Crest 10-3. I believe it was that year Crest went undefeated and won the state 4A championship game. Perhaps a fluke with SI losing that close to Crest. But SI did struggle with injuries but SI did had some good quality players.

I remember those days under Bill Mayhew. South Iredell had some good teams and good players, but their numbers on Varsity 25-30 Player. I was at that game in 94 vs Crest. South Iredell was pretty much a run heavy team and it seems like when they did pass the ball, it was trick plays.

#30 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

Agree with you on that. If I could do a fantasy football selection I would like to be able to take some of those players and be able to mix them in with some of the good players that South has had recently. You talk about having one more team.

#31 HoundBooster84

HoundBooster84

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:50 AM

Is going both ways on a consistent basis ever going to build a solid program?  I'm not saying don't do it for big plays/drives but I'm not sure its the long term path to success.

Statesville did do it a lot in 2012 with Breon Borders/Tristan Mumford/Carlis Parker (lesser extent).  It's not like Gusler won't do it when the situation calls for it.

#32 stickwolf

stickwolf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

Really liked reading the article about the spring workouts at North. 50 kids is unreal there. When I was coaching softball at North I would look down there and be like 10 there. Thats definitely encouraging that some may not want a repeat of last yr and are trying to do something about it

http://www.statesvil...9bd5392f50.html

As far a Campbell he had an illness had to give up football last yr. You could tell it had an effect on him. So I'm  not  sure if hes coming back or not. Looking forward to the new league. Wish it was August.  

1) West Rowan...easily the class of the conference, they have to stay healthy and will control their own destiny

2) South Iredell- Overall vs Conference and conference is where this rank gets.

3) Statesville- Young is great, defense may be an issue. Will score plenty - improve technique and discipline they could sneak away and even knock West off.

4) Carson - well very average team and average conference. Next. Lost a lot.

5) N. iredell - monster athlete in Campbell - should surprise a few of the bottom half teams here

6) East - New coach lost a ton rebuilding year easy call.

#33 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

The 2012 Statesville team did put Borders, Parker, Mumford and Willis got playing time on both sides. And recent years Clark and Ramseur played some on both sides. Take away the 2012 team for years Statesville has had issue getting the team to gel. Its High School football we have to go with what we have year in and year out. For example for this year Statesville football I would put someone like Gathings at WR and Free Safety. Last I heard through the grapevine he is not leaving for the Christian School. Another Put K. Mattox and Brandon Joyner for example on both sides. The results can't get any worse than last year. If Statesville don't try something different when plays are not working. I see Statesville winning about 5 or 6 games at best. I can going on, but I want go any further. 

#34 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,338 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

Anything possible so

Idk what the injury is but if it's ligament damage then you can't rush that. Rush back and hurt it again it's liable to make it a lot worse

#35 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:20 PM

Idk what the injury is but if it's ligament damage then you can't rush that. Rush back and hurt it again it's liable to make it a lot worse

He seems to be very well n They say he should be back by OCT or so from what one coaches told me

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#36 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

Thats great to hear.

#37 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

I would like hear Chris Hughes thoughts on NPC?

#38 NPCFANCAM

NPCFANCAM

JV Team

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

Went up too watch practice at SI' Myyyyy Opinion!!! Pope looks good as always One' good receiver a good running back and a Very young Oline most from JV last year ...Dfence has 3' good players And what sucks most of all is #3 is able to play the LAST!! game of the year ...Hope he can put on ONE!! Good show for his college prospecting...Going to be a a uphill season for SI....But I wish them the best

#39 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:49 AM

Is this the same #3 as last year? If it is that does hurt.

#40 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

The more and more I look at what going on , SI may struggle but still will finish in the top 3 in conference

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#41 NPCFANCAM

NPCFANCAM

JV Team

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

VIK-VAL Yes!!! It is the same play maker out with a achilles injury It sucks his senior year ....Like I said I hope schools that are looking at him can still go off his past playing history He is one hell of a player I coached him from 5th grade on ...SI' Doesn't look !!!! Good BUT!!! you never know anyone can win on a Friday night ....SI' is hosting a scrimmage Wednesday with south point and others I'll be going to see how they do

#42 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

Really liked reading the article about the spring workouts at North. 50 kids is unreal there. When I was coaching softball at North I would look down there and be like 10 there. Thats definitely encouraging that some may not want a repeat of last yr and are trying to do something about it

http://www.statesvil...9bd5392f50.html

As far a Campbell he had an illness had to give up football last yr. You could tell it had an effect on him. So I'm not sure if hes coming back or not. Looking forward to the new league. Wish it was August.

#43 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

Only had 10? Those teams did not even go 0-for. Maybe that's the problem we have too many now. lol. I heard Campbell is not playing due to medical condition. Hope we can 3 yards and a cloud of dust and keep the other teams offense off the field instead of giving up 70 points. Everyone knows our raiders will have to play lights out and the other team have a really bad game and little to no luck for us to have a shot at winning. We need to be plus 4 in turnovers every Friday night. Thing that worries me is we have had pretty weak non conference games for the last several years to give us a chance but now we don't. Hope we come out of scrimmages healthy. Can't afford any loss of bodies. Where's our strength, running passing run defense secondary kicking game?

#44 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

I would like to see North Iredell get back like the days of old when they would compete toward the top of the conference. I know South would have their handful with North back in those days.

#45 stickwolf

stickwolf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

Only had 10? Those teams did not even go 0-for. Maybe that's the problem we have too many now. lol. I heard Campbell is not playing due to medical condition. Hope we can 3 yards and a cloud of dust and keep the other teams offense off the field instead of giving up 70 points. Everyone knows our raiders will have to play lights out and the other team have a really bad game and little to no luck for us to have a shot at winning. We need to be plus 4 in turnovers every Friday night. Thing that worries me is we have had pretty weak non conference games for the last several years to give us a chance but now we don't. Hope we come out of scrimmages healthy. Can't afford any loss of bodies. Where's our strength, running passing run defense secondary kicking game?

Yep only 10... Then the SB team would go down to West Rowan and it would look like August 1st in April. It was sad and a lot of what went on then has affected the mentality now.  What coaches are trying to change up there a little bit at a time.

Campbell is back this year but not sure how much hes going to run the ball. 

#46 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

Yep only 10... Then the SB team would go down to West Rowan and it would look like August 1st in April. It was sad and a lot of what went on then has affected the mentality now.  What coaches are trying to change up there a little bit at a time.

Campbell is back this year but not sure how much hes going to run the ball. 

Glad we finally have some good football coaches who can fix all the problems from the past coaches.

#47 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:44 PM

VIK-VAL Yes!!! It is the same play maker out with a achilles injury It sucks his senior year ....Like I said I hope schools that are looking at him can still go off his past playing history He is one hell of a player I coached him from 5th grade on ...SI' Doesn't look !!!! Good BUT!!! you never know anyone can win on a Friday night ....SI' is hosting a scrimmage Wednesday with south point and others I'll be going to see how they do

#48 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:46 PM

NPCFANCAM ... How many players does it look like South have for Varsity and JVs?

#49 stickwolf

stickwolf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

Glad we finally have some good football coaches who can fix all the problems from the past coaches.

Ha not what I meant.at all. ....  I have know a lot of hard working guys up there that gave it their all on those past staffs...... I was talking about the lack of participation in such matters as spring camp that was lacking. You could call practice every day but kids have to buy in and come try and get better. That was what I was trying to point out, the fact that more are getting out or willing to come to extra practices now (Not mandatory) is a step in the right direction. Hope that makes sense.  

#50 NPCFANCAM

NPCFANCAM

JV Team

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:10 PM

. I didn't count or ask But just by the looks they have about the same amount as last year...But I can say they have a lot of players that they will just put on filed to give the stars a rest lol

NPCFANCAM ... How many players does it look like South have for Varsity and JVs?

JeffChapman-Dynamic