Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

West Montgomery head football coaching situation?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,866 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

Through some sources, I've been told that newly hired head coach Vance Hanner has stepped down at West Montgomery.  I will work to confirm this but this seems to be shocking news. I don't know Coach Hanner well so I can't speak as to why, I certainly hope everything is okay on his front. 

#2 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

No way!!

#3 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

Hate to hear that about Coach Hanner wish the best for him. I expect West to hire a great coach to replace him. New HC in the works and back in the YVC..

#4 Sam Spencer

Sam Spencer

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 233 posts
  • Email:CoachSpencer82@yahoo.com

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

Hate to hear that about Coach Hanner wish the best for him. I expect West to hire a great coach to replace him. New HC in the works and back in the YVC..

Atkins?

#5 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

Can't say but also not sure yet

#6 FBfan70

FBfan70

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

Anyone have any details on why Hanner stepped down? Only a month or so in and resigns?

#7 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:11 AM

Nothing has been said and many have voiced their displeasure over his applying for the job, accepting the job, meeting with the team and then up and quitting. Aside from any major medical or personal reasons this is the one of the most unprofessional moves I've ever witnessed in high school sports. I'm not bashing the guy on the internet I'm stating FACTS. If he wasn't prepared to take the job then he shouldn't have applied. I think we have ended up with a better option anyway. Until the facts come out I'll reserve my comments. It's a shame that so many qualified applicants didn't have the chance that was given to Hanner. I hope that in the future any school who goes through the hiring process will take his actions into account when he's wanting a job.

#8 Randolphcountyfb

Randolphcountyfb

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:42 AM

When someone says that aren't bashing a guy, it usually means you are bashing someone

#9 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,866 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

None of us know the facts, including me. While I agree with parts of what you said WM1977, I'd much rather see a coach leave before the season starts than get halfway through and leave or just give a halfway effort.

Still, I have no reason to know why be left so I'll just assume it was out of absolute necessity because I doubt the coach would do anything to purposely damage his reputation.

I personally think Hanner is a great coach and his record and a typically lower performing program shows it. I just wish him the best with whatever he's dealing with.

#10 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

If he ends up coaching somewhere else in the fall then I believe the bashing will begin and the bashing will be deserved. Stay tuned.......

#11 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,176 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

No idea on this.  If he encountered a family situation after taking the job I can understand why he may have resigned.  A high school coach making less than $60k does not have a lot of options when things are not working.  He resigned fairly soon after taking the job.  He did not let it linger for several months.  If he would have resigned after school was out that would have been even worse.  I think it has worked out for West and hope it does the same for him. Just makes you scratch your head.

#12 Randolphcountyfb

Randolphcountyfb

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Hanner did an excellent job at East Davidson, alot of the people in the community were sad to see him leave. 

#13 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

Best to stay quiet until the facts come out. New coach will do very well, he's been there done that with plenty of jewelry to prove it

#14 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

Who's the coach?

#15 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:20 PM

Not officially announced yet so I can't say. Should be announced this week I would think

#16 Randolphcountyfb

Randolphcountyfb

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

It's Coach Akins, he was the HC at southwestern Randolph and the DC at albermale

#17 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:37 PM

HC at Albemarle also. He won State Championship as HC along with 4 as DC.

#18 Randolphcountyfb

Randolphcountyfb

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

Man he has five rings that is great.

#19 Sam Spencer

Sam Spencer

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 233 posts
  • Email:CoachSpencer82@yahoo.com

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

It's Coach Akins, he was the HC at southwestern Randolph and the DC at albermale

Good dude, good coach.

#20 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

Very good dude. Very good coach. And he WANTS to coach at West Montgomery. The kids are excited and pumped about him taking the job. I remember the disappointment from Albemarle when he left for SWR. Coach Akins will have similar talent at West that he had at Albemarle. Something that doesn't exist at SWR. I think if he wants it he will be in the running for one of the two high school jobs in a few years. Hopefully he will stay at WMCS.

#21 new_dawg

new_dawg

JV Team

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

Very good dude. Very good coach. And he WANTS to coach at West Montgomery. The kids are excited and pumped about him taking the job. I remember the disappointment from Albemarle when he left for SWR. Coach Akins will have similar talent at West that he had at Albemarle. Something that doesn't exist at SWR. I think if he wants it he will be in the running for one of the two high school jobs in a few years. Hopefully he will stay at WMCS.

I keep hearing about WMCS.   Has a board of directors been seated; and has the charter application been submitted?    It's a lengthy and highly complicated process.

#22 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

Process started prior to the shoving of the Central High School by a group of concerned citizens. It gained momentum, support and funding when the Czar of MCS decided that the people in the county needed a $20 million dollar debt that will never be paid off by the county. No further comment or statements to follow due to the lengthy legal battle that may be on the horizon. But....the support of the community is there as well as the funding.

#23 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,176 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

What is the mission of WMCS? A charter school must offer alternative learning options not available in the local schools. Is this even close to being a reality?

#24 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:46 PM

Stay tuned.......

#25 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

I haven't heard one word of it. I guess it's being kept quiet, which is not normal around her. Possible yes reality, no.

JeffChapman-Dynamic