Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Early Southeastern 4A Conference predictions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

Early Southeastern 4A (or whatever its name will be) 2017 predictions

1) Scotland

2) Richmond

3) Pinecrest

4) Seventy-First

5) Lumberton

6) Jack Britt

7) Hoke County

8) Purnell Swett

Not sure what this conference will be called, but Scotland will take its seventh consecutive conference title. But, look for Richmond to challenge the Fighting Scots for the top spot.

Pinecrest will fall into complacency as usual and be happy to settle for third place at best.  Look for the Patriots to be just 1% improved.

Seventy-First may be the league "spoiler" and surprise the top three teams.

In the lower tier, expect Lumberton to finish fifth, but Jack Britt will be improved.  Hoke County and Purnell Swett will be fighting hard to stay out of the conference basement.

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,526 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

The consensus from some coaches I've polled is......

1. Scotland
2. Richmond
3. 71st
4. Pinecrest
5. Hoke
6. Lumberton
7. Britt
8. Swett

#3 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

The consensus from some coaches I've polled is......

1. Scotland
2. Richmond
3. 71st
4. Pinecrest
5. Hoke
6. Lumberton
7. Britt
8. Swett

The new name will be the Sandhills Athletic Conference (SAC), wouldn't have minded it being called the Mid-Southeastern again, but that's neither her nor there.

The level of competition should pick up in the conference and not be so top heavy. With that being said, here is my SAC 4A prediction for 2017.

1) Scotland County
2) Richmond Senior
3) Seventy-First
4) Pinecrest
5) Lumberton
6) Jack Britt
7) Hoke County
8) Purnell Swett

Richmond, 71st, and Pinecrest are bunched together, and there's really no separation. These games could come down to the last possession or one play that changes the outcome of said game. Scotland is the clear favorite, if they don't win it this year, there will be some furniture moving in Laurinburg.

Richmond will have talent coming back, but are a couple of years away from contending for a state title. Non conference will be brutal for the Raiders. From a source inside the program on staff, they will be going with a freshman at QB, but his level of play is more advanced. He will have his struggles, but he will be one of the best to come through the program. Combine that with the talent that Richmond has coming, and you have a good recipe for success, but not this year.
Sound smart around the water cooler: Richmond's last 3 head coaches (Hoggard, Castellano, and Till) have had to travel to Pate in their first year as the leader of Richmond.

71st experienced a couple of down years recently, but are going to contend for second, and may give Scotland a run for their money. They have the best chance to beat the champs.

Pinecrest toughened up their nonconference, which will benefit them in conference play, but they have to figure out a way to get over the Richmond/Scotland hump to realize what Metzger has been so close to accomplishing, a conference championship. Does anyone know the last time they won a conference title in football?

Lumberton is my dark horse in the conference to break into the top 3. They have a QB that's been in the system and starting since his 9th grade year, and stability with whose voice they are listening to. The issue for Lumberton, because they will score points, is whether they can stop anyone on defense. If they can, watch out.

I really believe that Britt having as much as an abysmal season as they did last year is a blip on a generally solid-great program. I don't see Britt having that type of season again, and they will be respectable. Watch out Scots, the game at The Boneyard could wind up being a trap game.

Hoke County will improve, but with the conference improving from top to bottom, I see maybe one win for them in conference.

Purnell Swett made some strides near the end of the season on offense, but will struggle in this conference, they and Hoke are either going to finish 7th or 8th.

#4 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:14 PM

I don't think Pinecrest has ever won a conference championship in football.

#5 Frosty

Frosty

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

RaiderDebater,Would this 9th grader be the son of a former UNC football star?

#6 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

I believe that to be the case, Frosty.

#7 justdoit2

justdoit2

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:07 AM

My Predictions

Seventy First

Scotland

Richmond 

Pinecrest

Hoke County

Jack britt

Lumberton

Purnell Swett

I think the Falcons will come in and surprise Scotland because one thing Seventy First has been able to do with success over the past couple of years is stop run heavy teams.  I don't think they will stop scotland but I do think they will slow them down and Seventy first should have a very very high powered offense this year.  Now can Scotland beat seventy first? Yes.  But I think they are closer talent wise than most think.  Seventy first will also be hungry after limping into the playoffs last season and losing in the first round.  

Scotland could easily win this conference they will be good as always but when two teams are evenly matched as I think these two are you go with the home team.

Richmond is grey cloud floating over this conference.  They can all of a sudden have a very good year and rain down or they could just float over the top and look as if they are going to cause bad weather.  Never count them out

Pinecrest will be competitive because they have good coaching and some good kids

My spoiler team is Hoke County they have had a ton of athletes the past couple of years and just have not been able to get it together but eventually it will happen and could be this year.

Lumberton i think will be the same as Jack britt and that is they will be in a couple of games and maybe win one they shouldn't but won't amount to much.  

I don't have a crystal ball so I don't know but this how I am feeling as of now.

JeffChapman-Dynamic