Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Name a staff that produced a ton of head coaches

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

who ya got 

#2 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:07 AM

The San Francisco 49'ers.

#3 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

High School  NC.  I think RJ Renyolds back in the 90's had a staff with 

HC Alex Mebane RJR and Trinity

Bill Oakley- North Forsyth

Barry Stewart- North Davidson, Grimsley, Mt. Tabor, Englewood(FL)

Doug Illing- Davie and Socaste(SC)

Adrian Snow- Watauga, West Forsyth

#4 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

North Gaston 1998-2001

HC Mike Briggs-  NG and Ashbrook

Bruce Clark- North Gaston and Boiling Springs (SC) 

Matt Rikard- East Lincoln

Kieth Fox- Cherryville

Terry Jordan-highland Tech

Martin Samek-Parkland

Brian Andrews-Ashbrook 

#5 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

I know a bunch have come out of Mooresville in the past... couldn't tell you exactly how many since I've not been here all that long... but Coach Paxton, Coach Stewart, Coach Pinyan are the three I know of since I've lived here that I can recall off the top of my head. I think there's a few more that worked with coach carter, but I only was here for the last season of that era.

#6 coachoakley

coachoakley

Rookie

• Coach
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:14 PM

To the RJR staff of the 1990s add

Chip Petree (North Davidson, West Stokes, West Forsyth)

Head Coach Dave McConnell 1991-1995 followed by Alex Mebane

#7 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

I know these aren't 4A schools but since they don't have a thread I figured I'd go for here lol. There's a few from my area that pop into my head:

Surry Central had a hell of a staff in the 90's despite them not being anywhere close to being near the top of the county then (North Surry and Mount Airy held the top spots.) Alex Mebane took the HC job in 1991 and won a couple off the bat which was huge considering from week 2 of 1986-the last week of 1989 they lost every game and had one of the nation's longest win streaks. It's very easy to say that without Alex Mebane's steady hand Central would have never recovered from the depths of the cellar.

After the 1991 season he started building his staff. He brought a lineman on board who wasn't huge by any stretch but had a huge heart and head for the game: one Adrian Snow. This is where the West Forsyth coach got his start. He also got a huge steal when a past QB from the northern end of the county graduated college and ws wanting a job. Said QB:future Shrine Bowl Coach Kelly Holder. He also encouraged future West Stokes DC and East Henderson HC Steve Whitt to try college ball and eventually coach. Mebane probably didn't know it but he had a gold mine on his hands. Mebane left before the 1995 season for RJR with not much glory in terms of wins but like I said earlier he saved the program.

Holder like Mebane lasted for a term from 1995-1998 before taking the MA job. He was able to post a good amount of wins which Mebane couldn't but AM provided a lot of help in laying the groundwork. Holder had two good years 95 and 97; 1998 was pretty dreary by all aspects due to a bad injury bug. It's amazing to think though how disapointing the 1998 team was considering the star power of the coaches on the staff. You had:

Holder, Chris Johnson (He was Holder's DC until 2010; now HC at Forbush,) Monty Southern (Current HC at Central,) and of all people Jimmy UpChurch (HC at West Stokes.) Just imagine a staff with those guys on board nowadays..

After Holder left SC Snow decided to go back and become the HC for the first time in his career; he only lasted two years though but didn't finish worse then .500. He left for RJR which lead to him getting the Watauga job down the line.

#8 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

Starmount's also had a lot of luck in terms of having quality names on board it's staffs.

BW Holt came in 1979 and lasted for 18 years. In between he managed to have Scott Johnson, Joe Hutchins, and Charlie Haire on board. All three went on to be solid names and the former 2 coached at Starmount while Haire went to West Montgomery and later Wilkes Central.

Hutchens took over in 1998 and won the 1A state title in his first go. One of his players that year was Sandy Grinton who later became HC at North Iredell for a term and is back on Starmount's staff. He also had future North Stokes HC Mitch Reeves play for him too.

Johnson took over in 2005 and after a slow start dominated the area for a good while. Despite slipping here lately he has a rather star studded staff. They had current Walkertown HC Josh Pardue on the staff as the DC in their 2014 title run; and they also have former Wilkes Central HC Jeremy Funderburke on board as well now. Starmount never lacks coaches that's for sure.

#9 Footballnutjob22

Footballnutjob22

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

Anson in the 90's.
Paul Hoggard
Pat Moser
Mike Newsome
Jody Grooms

#10 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,341 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

Anson in the 90's.
Paul Hoggard
Pat Moser
Mike Newsome
Jody Grooms

Nick Eddins is a byproduct of that staff too.

#11 CoachG

CoachG

JV Team

• Coach
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

Leesville Road 2005-2010
David Green Head Coach (currently Green Hope)
Chad Smothers Leesville Road
Jason McGeorge Heritage
Joe Kilby Cedar Ridge and Apex
Jeremy Fullbright Athens Drive
Jimmy Williams West Johnston (Jimmy, of course, had been head coach at East Wake before joining the staff at LR

#12 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,513 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

How about Chris Metzger of Pinecrest?

There's Mike Vogt @ North Moore, Ben Hammer, formerly of East Montgomery and current HC at Rock Island, IL, and a handful of coaches who were assistants under him and currently are head coaches out-of-state.

#13 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

Ed Emory (Richmond Senior) (RIP, Coach)

-Paul Hoggard
-James Johnson
-Ken Neal (I believe)
-Nick Eddins

Players
-Eric Morman

#14 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,341 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

Ed Emory (Richmond Senior) (RIP, Coach)

-Paul Hoggard
-James Johnson
-Ken Neal (I believe)
-Nick Eddins

Players
-Eric Morman

Several other coaches from Richmond.....

Hal Shuler
Tom Paris
Jeff Simpson

#15 Bullzye

Bullzye

Established Member

• Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:44 AM

Several other coaches from Richmond.....

Hal Shuler
Tom Paris
Jeff Simpson

Other notables coming out of Richmond:
Mark Barnes
Joe Mitchell
Todd Lipe
Jimmy Fletcher

#16 coach93

coach93

Freshman Team

• Coach