Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Spring Tour: Visit with Russell Stone at Hickory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,866 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

Had a chance to visit Hickory HS today and new coach Russell Stone.  Check out the video interview. 

Link: Spring Tour: A visit with Russell Stone

278.jpg

#2 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:22 PM

Seems like he has big plans for Hickory , By the way he was talking I could see him staying for like 3-4 yrs or so I think with him living n staying Hickory even after he retires I'm pretty he be a advisor or something at Hickory

I will like see how hickory improves and all but concern I have is with Hickory having low number past few season n with many of their players going both way, Can they handle a slightly faster tempo n such but Hopefully he will get more kids to come aboard n make Hickory was it Once was

Good luck to Hickory who future looks better than Ever

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#3 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,866 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:39 PM

Russell has the same game plan that Bob Paroli, Bob Lewis, Jim Oddo, and David Gentry has, coach as long as possible, even into his 80's.

If you would have seen how easy he was bench pressing 185, and hang cleaning 155 with ease, you'd realize how good of condition he is in. I'm 20 years younger and he was every bit as fit as myself and pushing me to lift harder and push more weight.

#4 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:29 AM

Russell has the same game plan that Bob Paroli, Bob Lewis, Jim Oddo, and David Gentry has, coach as long as possible, even into his 80's.

If you would have seen how easy he was bench pressing 185, and hang cleaning 155 with ease, you'd realize how good of condition he is in. I'm 20 years younger and he was every bit as fit as myself and pushing me to lift harder and push more weight.

Coaches should coach well into their 60s,70s n even 80s n even the rare 90 year old but Coach Russell stone looks to have a STRONG goal to build the Hickory Brand back up and Yes. I agree Hickory does has some nice facilities but i only seen their Gym on pictures n there Football field is also good!

I also agree on something He something along the lines of He wants be fit bc its make kids want be fit n they need around like that n I agree Coaches should be as Athletic as their players or at least keep us anyway...... Anyway, When He does Retire hopefully some of his young coaches are READY which i assume they will be!

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#5 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

Coach Stone is a very well spoken man. Excellent man to interview from the video. Hickory really does have nice athletic facilities and that comes with having one high school in the school system. When they bought the former American Legion building it was a big plus.

There is tremendous potential at Hickory. For years kids have been allowed to attend Hickory without moves for academics and sports. A bunch of QBs were once starters at other schools. Lots of girls basketball players came from other schools to win and be recruited. That's a positive to being a one horse show in a small school system. You get to make decisions without affecting the other schools in your system.

Good to hear Stone is bringing in his own guys. Hey, Russell, wipe that coaching staff clean and start over. He mentioned former Hickory area NFL pros Ryan Succopp and Justin Harper being around the program. Also mentioned Micheal Collins. Interesting and intriguing he also stated he is bringing in a couple former head coaches to help once they notify their current bosses.

Remember this from the interview over the next few years when discussing Hickory: Russell alluded to the other sports sharing athletes. Basketball, lacrosse, baseball, etc. Here lies the path to Hickory's success going forward. Hickory MUST get more multiple sport athletes back on the gridiron. I'm sure Russell is working that angle and it shows he has immediately identified one of the Hickory issues.

If it were me I would immediately get involved at the middle school level getting kids tied to a wrestling program at Grandview and Northview middles. Doing that would help get the kids in two physical gladiator sports which heavily require conditioning. Tying those two programs together was a big plus many years ago as it created much more physical and aggressive kids.

#6 GoNtheDistance

GoNtheDistance

Established Member

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

Great segment. Nothing but opportunity for coach stone in hickory.

"You can't control the wind, but you can always adjust your sails."

#7 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

Enjoyed it.  Very positive and confident and for good reason, he knows how to make it happen.  Some challenges at Hickory for sure but it sure looks like they found the right man. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic