Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

J.M. Robinson Favorite to Win SPC in 2017? Good Possibility!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

****J.M. Robinson Bulldogs Poised to Ruffle Some Feathers in the SPC in 2017***

With the banner season the J.M. Robinson Bulldogs had winning the South Piedmont Conference Championship in 2016, one can't help but look to the Bulldogs as the preseason favorite to win the SPC for a 2nd consecutive season in 2017. Especially given the fact that the Robinson JVs went undefeated themselves in 2016. The Bulldogs finished the 2016 season at 10-3 after a second round playoff loss to Marvin Ridge. Joe Glass has really done "Wonders" in Concord over the last three seasons, and I believe he has taken the Bulldogs over the hump from being just a good football team, to a championship contender worthy of some respect. 

I know it doesn't sound right coming from a K-Town loyalist, but the old guard that has ruled the roost in the SPC for so many decades may be in for a shake up. The mere fact that the Wonders will re enter the SPC in 2017 after playing in the 4A ranks over the last 4 seasons does not a guaranteed championship make for the Green and White. The Bulldogs have taken the Wonders to the wire over the last two seasons, and almost pulled it off in 2016 save for some Wonder heroics in the final seconds. The Bulldogs then went on to defeat the Concord Spiders for the SPC title in overtime. Looking at it objectively, It seems the worm has turned down South, and in an area once dominated by an insect sporting Black and Gold, it is now threatened by a mammal sporting Maroon and Gold.

I still like the Wonders to do what they have done so many times over in the SPC in 2017, and I won't bet against them, but sitting here today I am much more concerned about the threat the Bulldogs pose going into the new season than I am the Spiders. With a personal connection into the Robinson camp, I can tell you most assuredly that the trip to K-Town in late October is circled on the Bulldogs calendar. The Bulldogs have never defeated the Wonders in varsity play since the program emerged in 2001. They felt cheated last season having lost to the Wonders in the final seconds in a contest they basically dominated from the opening whistle, and with a focused, well coached group of Bulldogs smelling blood, and looking for some payback going into the 2017 season, that may be all the incentive they need to get over that one obstacle that has frustrated them in 12 previous attempts.

17457595_1595838453762902_78945915351880 

#2 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

With the change of time now to what it use to be Wonders will definitely have their work cut out. I guess the plus side is these games will bring out big crowds at the gate. It will be interesting to see how this conference finishes out.

JeffChapman-Dynamic