Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Bombshell: Kiefer retires from coaching at CCHS

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 NCFootballMan77

NCFootballMan77

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

My cousin came home today and told me the news. Apparently, he gathered all of the players and announced that he would no longer be coaching at Central at the end of the day today. My cousin didn't have any more information, but man does this suck! We finally get a coach, and after a few years we are right back at looking for a new coach. Hopefully, we can find a decent replacement. Anybody know of any takers?

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,341 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

Hopefully, we can find a decent replacement. Anybody know of any takers?

I think the first place you look is on staff, Coach Kiefer has been grooming defensive coordinator Daniel Crosby to be a head coach, this is his chance to show what he's got.  Crosby comes from a long line of athletic talent that starred at South Rowan, his father was a longtime coach and AD and the apple didn't fall far from the tree.  

I have already been told to expect a few other well known names show interest.  Guys like Charlie Gray and former East Rowan head coach Kenneth McClammrock.  Either of those two would be huge additions as well. 

#3 NCFootballMan77

NCFootballMan77

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

That's good news!

#4 coachmp

coachmp

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

He took the job at Green Sea Floyd

#5 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,369 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:59 AM

Retired in NC and double dipping in SC. Wise financial move. He was working for half price.
Good for you Coach!!!

#6 NCFootballMan77

NCFootballMan77

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:21 AM

I can see how that's a good financial move. I just hate it for the players. Is this a fairly common practice among coaches?

#7 Nipit

Nipit

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:20 AM

Great move for him personally, but I know it had to be hard to leave CC.  He will once again show his skill at building up a program at Green Sea.  I think they have had two winning seasons in the school's existence.  Go get 'em coach K.  I bet this season he steps in and wins his region.

#8 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

I can see how that's a good financial move. I just hate it for the players. Is this a fairly common practice among coaches?

Yes. It is much better pay in SC and they care more about football. Congrats coach Kiefer. I know it was a tough decision to leave CC. 

#9 burnstweeter

burnstweeter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

Can't blame the man. He's not the first and he won't be the last to do it.

#10 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,369 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

When a school employee hits 30 years they have full retirement.  Coach was probably making close to $70k.  He will probably make $80k in SC plus his NC retirement which is most likely close to $40k.  I am guessing at these numbers based on some past conversations with coaches.  He may make more or less but I think that is ball park.  So he is getting about a $40k pay increase.  That is huge for a teacher.

I hate to see Coach go to another rebuild program.  I would like to see him get an established program to work with but it seems this is his niche.  

Bottom line, I am glad to see another excellent coach and class act get his retirement and an improved pay day.  Well deserved.

#11 Nipit

Nipit

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

BT...excellent post.

#12 CCjoey

CCjoey

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

Coach Crosby has done a decent job with our defense but we need someone who has been a head coach to continue what Coach Keifer started.  If I was choosing from the names mentioned above I would go with Coach McClamrock.  Took a team to the 3rd of the playoffs and his teams were always competitive at East, in a very tough situation.  Great experience with Coach Padgett as an assistant.  Plus I believe he lives near the school.  Seems like a no brainer to me but hey what do I know?

#13 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,341 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

Coach Crosby has done a decent job with our defense but we need someone who has been a head coach to continue what Coach Keifer started.  If I was choosing from the names mentioned above I would go with Coach McClamrock.  Took a team to the 3rd of the playoffs and his teams were always competitive at East, in a very tough situation.  Great experience with Coach Padgett as an assistant.  Plus I believe he lives near the school.  Seems like a no brainer to me but hey what do I know?

I won't dispute this at all.  In fact I agree that McClammrock would be an incredible hire, not only for Central but for any opening in the area.  I'll say this about Coach Crosby though, you've got to start somewhere to get head coaching experience and you won't know who good or bad he can be without giving him an opportunity.  I've watched this young man grow from a kid to a stellar athlete in high school, on to play college football, and I've seen him grow as a coach.  If he doesn't get the job at Central, one day he will make an outstanding head coach for someone. 

#14 Shelby Lion

Shelby Lion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Congrats Coach K ...before it's said and done in the next couple years you'll see a lot of our great coaches like Donnie ( close too or near retirement) take off for SC... don't blame them! I know they love the kids and towns they coach in but sometimes the best move for the coach and family is to go where they can provide a better financial situation for their immediate family

Best of luck Coach!!!

#15 falconfan

falconfan

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

Good luck Donnie! Stay in touch my friend

#16 preacherman

preacherman

Established Member

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

I really wonder if McClamrock interested.

#17 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,513 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

I hope Coach Kiefer does well in SC.

#18 I-40 Traveler

I-40 Traveler

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

North Carolina will miss Coach Kiefer, Good luck in SC and enjoy some Beach Time!!

#19 hbnw

hbnw

JV Team

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

What is McClamrock's overall record as a head coach?

#20 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,341 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

14-23

#21 hbnw

hbnw

JV Team

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:02 PM

0-0 seems okay

#22 CHEERDUCK

CHEERDUCK

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:33 PM

Good Luck Coach Keifer!

It's not where you start, but where you finish!

JeffChapman-Dynamic