Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Thoughts on McMichael job?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

Just seen where coach Stack has been named the new head football coach at Rosman. With that being said does anyone have any thoughts on who would be a good replacement? I know this is not a traditional powerhouse by any means but have some decent athletes and with the right coach they could make some noise in the Mid-State 3A.

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,428 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

Believe it or not, I've had some great interest come my way about this job over the past 24-hours.  While I do think the current defensive coordinator may be a good choice in keeping the continuity, I've already spoken to a few coaches that would not be bad choices. 

Having been to the school and seen practices, the facilities, and just the hard work put in by Stack, this is a much better situation that it was a few years ago.  While the record didn't necessarily show it last year, the team played exceptionally well and gave top-seeded Hibriten all they could handle for much of their first-round playoff game. 

I do think McMichael has a chance to be fairly respectable this year but you can't ignore the one constant which is the incredibly tough conference.  Its a brutal road for a rebuilding program to have to climb. 

The three coaches I spoke with about the job all have unique backgrounds.  One is a veteran coach with many years of head coaching experience, one is coming from the college coaching ranks but has some experience as a high school assistant in Western NC, and one is a young up-and-coming star offensive coordinator from a big-time 4A program.  

The benefit of Stack's success in at least building a foundation is the fact that some decent coaches have seen that and are looking for opportunities to continue his work. 

#3 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

Think that possibly the former coach from Southeast Guilford, (Hesenthaler) would be a good candidate. He has plenty of experience and always built tough teams that played in a pretty competitive 4A conference.

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,428 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Think that possibly the former coach from Southeast Guilford, (Hesenthaler) would be a good candidate. He has plenty of experience and always built tough teams that played in a pretty competitive 4A conference.

He'd be a great candidate, but from what I'm told, he's enjoying being at Providence Grove. 

#5 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

An odd move to say the least. I guess he wanted to go the the SMC. I figured he'd get a higher ranked Piedmont based job down the line but he went west instead. He'll be a good get for the SMC though. He'll bring a new school offense and style to the conference.

I'll miss him though I really liked the guy, and I enjoyed seeing us scrimmage them every year. We are suposed to scrimage them twice this summer at 7 on 7's so I hope we can keep that because the 2nd one was going to be at McMichael. I've never been into Rockingham County so I was excited. Bummer..

#6 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

As for McMichael itself there are some good kids there who want the chance to be a winner. They play very hard despite not having athletes like their cross county rival. It's been 9 years since McMichael's had a winning season and 8 since they have been at least .500. They had had 2 rough alignments and getting ready for a third. Plus they really upped the ante in terms of the non conference schedule by adding West Stokes and High Point Christian. HPC's only lost 2 games in 2 years. It's could be a rough 2 seasons ahead for the new coach but you can never tell with down and out schools.

McMichael's had sucess with veteran coaches. Gary Whitman had that 2 year stand at the end of the 00's and went 8-4 in 2008 after the previous year's team went 2-9 so that shows it can be possible. I just hope they keep improving and not digress.

#7 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:30 AM

Any news on how the process is going?

#8 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,428 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

I haven't heard a thing of late.  

#9 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:31 AM

Any updates?

#10 Muchadoaboutnothin

Muchadoaboutnothin

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:25 AM

Will not start the interview process till the first of May I was told.

#11 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Does anyone think they will look outside for the next head coach or keep it in staff?

#12 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,428 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:02 AM

I'd say the defensive coordinator on staff would be among the favorites but I've been contacted by a ton of sold coaches who are interested so they should at least have some good options.

#13 Muchadoaboutnothin

Muchadoaboutnothin

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

The DC did not apply

#14 Red1Rooster

Red1Rooster

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

Is it just me or does it seem like this search is taking way too long to be beneficial for this season?  

Seems like whomever they hire as HC will be hamstrung for this year.  

What would be the benefit of taking this job? 

#15 Muchadoaboutnothin

Muchadoaboutnothin

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:34 AM

He who troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind....

#16 Mad Dog

Mad Dog

Established Member

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

If open I'd be interested. Where is this located?

#17 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

Mayodan

#18 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

Any updates?

#19 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

McMichael has selected Dr. Darnell Wiggins. He was the Offensive Coordinator/QB coach for the past two seasons.

#20 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,428 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:08 PM

McMichael has selected Dr. Darnell Wiggins. He was the Offensive Coordinator/QB coach for the past two seasons.

Thanks for that info.

#21 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:36 AM

Haven't had the chance to talk to him like I did with Stack but if he was truely in charge of what they ran on offense the last couple of years when I've seen them then he should be okay. I'll get to see them in a few weeks when they come to our 7 on 7.

Continuity will definatly help there; it was very late when he got okayed. That program needs some stablity for once so I hope they keep it going.

#22 Muchadoaboutnothin

Muchadoaboutnothin

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:37 AM

I don't think that info is entirely correct but, I wish him and his team nothing but success....

JeffChapman-Dynamic