Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Thoughts on McMichael job?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

Just seen where coach Stack has been named the new head football coach at Rosman. With that being said does anyone have any thoughts on who would be a good replacement? I know this is not a traditional powerhouse by any means but have some decent athletes and with the right coach they could make some noise in the Mid-State 3A.

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,877 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

Believe it or not, I've had some great interest come my way about this job over the past 24-hours.  While I do think the current defensive coordinator may be a good choice in keeping the continuity, I've already spoken to a few coaches that would not be bad choices. 

Having been to the school and seen practices, the facilities, and just the hard work put in by Stack, this is a much better situation that it was a few years ago.  While the record didn't necessarily show it last year, the team played exceptionally well and gave top-seeded Hibriten all they could handle for much of their first-round playoff game. 

I do think McMichael has a chance to be fairly respectable this year but you can't ignore the one constant which is the incredibly tough conference.  Its a brutal road for a rebuilding program to have to climb. 

The three coaches I spoke with about the job all have unique backgrounds.  One is a veteran coach with many years of head coaching experience, one is coming from the college coaching ranks but has some experience as a high school assistant in Western NC, and one is a young up-and-coming star offensive coordinator from a big-time 4A program.  

The benefit of Stack's success in at least building a foundation is the fact that some decent coaches have seen that and are looking for opportunities to continue his work. 

#3 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

Think that possibly the former coach from Southeast Guilford, (Hesenthaler) would be a good candidate. He has plenty of experience and always built tough teams that played in a pretty competitive 4A conference.

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,877 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Think that possibly the former coach from Southeast Guilford, (Hesenthaler) would be a good candidate. He has plenty of experience and always built tough teams that played in a pretty competitive 4A conference.

He'd be a great candidate, but from what I'm told, he's enjoying being at Providence Grove. 

#5 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

An odd move to say the least. I guess he wanted to go the the SMC. I figured he'd get a higher ranked Piedmont based job down the line but he went west instead. He'll be a good get for the SMC though. He'll bring a new school offense and style to the conference.

I'll miss him though I really liked the guy, and I enjoyed seeing us scrimmage them every year. We are suposed to scrimage them twice this summer at 7 on 7's so I hope we can keep that because the 2nd one was going to be at McMichael. I've never been into Rockingham County so I was excited. Bummer..

#6 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

As for McMichael itself there are some good kids there who want the chance to be a winner. They play very hard despite not having athletes like their cross county rival. It's been 9 years since McMichael's had a winning season and 8 since they have been at least .500. They had had 2 rough alignments and getting ready for a third. Plus they really upped the ante in terms of the non conference schedule by adding West Stokes and High Point Christian. HPC's only lost 2 games in 2 years. It's could be a rough 2 seasons ahead for the new coach but you can never tell with down and out schools.

McMichael's had sucess with veteran coaches. Gary Whitman had that 2 year stand at the end of the 00's and went 8-4 in 2008 after the previous year's team went 2-9 so that shows it can be possible. I just hope they keep improving and not digress.

#7 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:30 AM

Any news on how the process is going?

#8 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,877 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

I haven't heard a thing of late.  

#9 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:31 AM

Any updates?

#10 Muchadoaboutnothin

Muchadoaboutnothin

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:25 AM

Will not start the interview process till the first of May I was told.

#11 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Does anyone think they will look outside for the next head coach or keep it in staff?

#12 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,877 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:02 AM

I'd say the defensive coordinator on staff would be among the favorites but I've been contacted by a ton of sold coaches who are interested so they should at least have some good options.

#13 Muchadoaboutnothin

Muchadoaboutnothin

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

The DC did not apply

JeffChapman-Dynamic