Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

3 Henderson County Schools will get turf next season

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

North, West and East Henderson will have turf.

Hendersonville pending the new school.

http://www.blueridge...at-cost-of-275m

#2 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

Good they all need it very badly.

#3 WestHendersonFalcons

WestHendersonFalcons

Established Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:19 PM

I drove by West this week. These guys are really doing a quality job. Can't wait to see the finished product. I know the county really put forth the funding to make sure the schools get a quality product.

7178.jpeg

#4 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:32 AM

So this leaves Murphy, swain, Andrews, Robbinsville, Franklin, Mitchell, mountain heritage and Polk with natural grass. Am I forgetting anyone?

#5 smashmouth

smashmouth

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

Rosman. But I prefer natural grass.

#6 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,002 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:54 PM

It looks great! Let me know when it's finished so I can come get some new photos for the Stadium Project.

#7 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,002 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:58 PM

Rosman. But I prefer natural grass.

I do as well, but I do understand the need for turf, especially in the mountains. Where it probably saves the schools the most is with spring sports (in March/April) with ladies soccer.

However with turf we'll never have the epic mud bowl like we saw in Owen a decade ago!

#8 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

I prefer grass also, but it gets expensive with maintenance. Water, fertilizer, lime, aeration, mowing, line chalking, keeping the mountaineer purple and his pipe strait lol. If Mitchell County had about about a 50k a year budget, I'd gladly take that position.

#9 WestHendersonFalcons

WestHendersonFalcons

Established Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

It looks great! Let me know when it's finished so I can come get some new photos for the Stadium Project.

Will do. It appears all the initial grading and concrete work is complete. They should be starting the subsurface next. Preliminary timeline for completion is mid-July so I have heard.

#10 WestHendersonFalcons

WestHendersonFalcons

Established Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

I prefer grass also, but it gets expensive with maintenance. Water, fertilizer, lime, aeration, mowing, line chalking, keeping the mountaineer purple and his pipe strait lol. If Mitchell County had about about a 50k a year budget, I'd gladly take that position.

I do as well, but I do understand the need for turf, especially in the mountains. Where it probably saves the schools the most is with spring sports (in March/April) with ladies soccer.

However with turf we'll never have the epic mud bowl like we saw in Owen a decade ago!

Something needed to be done to our field ASAP. The track is level on all sides yet on the football sidelines, the visitors sideline was nearly a foot below the track and the home sideline was just a few inches. The field didn't drain as it should and if there was a monsoon, the entire visitor sideline would flood. Not to mention, by the time you have 4 youth program, the middle school, JV and varsity football, and the soccer programs using it, it was worn out!

#11 WestHendersonFalcons

WestHendersonFalcons

Established Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

So this leaves Murphy, swain, Andrews, Robbinsville, Franklin, Mitchell, mountain heritage and Polk with natural grass. Am I forgetting anyone?

Hendersonville, for now, will keep their natural grass.

JeffChapman-Dynamic