Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

3 Henderson County Schools will get turf next season

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

JV Team

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

North, West and East Henderson will have turf.

Hendersonville pending the new school.

http://www.blueridge...at-cost-of-275m

#2 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

Good they all need it very badly.

#3 WestHendersonFalcons

WestHendersonFalcons

Established Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:19 PM

I drove by West this week. These guys are really doing a quality job. Can't wait to see the finished product. I know the county really put forth the funding to make sure the schools get a quality product.

7178.jpeg

#4 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:32 AM

So this leaves Murphy, swain, Andrews, Robbinsville, Franklin, Mitchell, mountain heritage and Polk with natural grass. Am I forgetting anyone?

#5 smashmouth

smashmouth

JV Team

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

Rosman. But I prefer natural grass.

#6 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,341 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:54 PM

It looks great! Let me know when it's finished so I can come get some new photos for the Stadium Project.

#7 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,341 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:58 PM

Rosman. But I prefer natural grass.

I do as well, but I do understand the need for turf, especially in the mountains. Where it probably saves the schools the most is with spring sports (in March/April) with ladies soccer.

However with turf we'll never have the epic mud bowl like we saw in Owen a decade ago!

#8 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

I prefer grass also, but it gets expensive with maintenance. Water, fertilizer, lime, aeration, mowing, line chalking, keeping the mountaineer purple and his pipe strait lol. If Mitchell County had about about a 50k a year budget, I'd gladly take that position.

#9 WestHendersonFalcons

WestHendersonFalcons

Established Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

It looks great! Let me know when it's finished so I can come get some new photos for the Stadium Project.

Will do. It appears all the initial grading and concrete work is complete. They should be starting the subsurface next. Preliminary timeline for completion is mid-July so I have heard.

#10 WestHendersonFalcons

WestHendersonFalcons

Established Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

I prefer grass also, but it gets expensive with maintenance. Water, fertilizer, lime, aeration, mowing, line chalking, keeping the mountaineer purple and his pipe strait lol. If Mitchell County had about about a 50k a year budget, I'd gladly take that position.

I do as well, but I do understand the need for turf, especially in the mountains. Where it probably saves the schools the most is with spring sports (in March/April) with ladies soccer.

However with turf we'll never have the epic mud bowl like we saw in Owen a decade ago!

Something needed to be done to our field ASAP. The track is level on all sides yet on the football sidelines, the visitors sideline was nearly a foot below the track and the home sideline was just a few inches. The field didn't drain as it should and if there was a monsoon, the entire visitor sideline would flood. Not to mention, by the time you have 4 youth program, the middle school, JV and varsity football, and the soccer programs using it, it was worn out!

#11 WestHendersonFalcons

WestHendersonFalcons

Established Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

So this leaves Murphy, swain, Andrews, Robbinsville, Franklin, Mitchell, mountain heritage and Polk with natural grass. Am I forgetting anyone?

Hendersonville, for now, will keep their natural grass.

#12 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

JV Team

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

Seen this on Twitter. Looks like the turf is being laid down as we speak.

#13 WestHendersonFalcons

WestHendersonFalcons

Established Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

What a beautifully designed field. Only a week or so to completion:

West_Henderson.jpg

#14 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

What a beautifully designed field. Only a week or so to completion:

West_Henderson.jpg

I may have to take a trip up there bc that is beautiful

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#15 WestHendersonFalcons

WestHendersonFalcons

Established Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:17 PM

I may have to take a trip up there bc that is beautiful

I am very impressed with the detail and thankful the county gave the schools a budget to do as they wanted. From the font in both the endzones and the numbering, to the color schemes around the numbers and lettering, to the alternating color, to having both of our logos on the field (Falcon in the center, Wisconsin W's on the 25), this truly a unique field. I have looked on the Stadium Project but haven't seen one like it yet. I cannot wait to see it completed.

#16 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

That's a very nice field. Well done.

#17 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

Wow super nice.

#18 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

I am very impressed with the detail and thankful the county gave the schools a budget to do as they wanted. From the font in both the endzones and the numbering, to the color schemes around the numbers and lettering, to the alternating color, to having both of our logos on the field (Falcon in the center, Wisconsin W's on the 25), this truly a unique field. I have looked on the Stadium Project but haven't seen one like it yet. I cannot wait to see it completed.

Mooresville needs to get theirs redone , ours is going 10-15+ years

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#19 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:39 AM

I have not seen many of the artificial turf fields in the mountains but those I have seen are really nice. Last one I saw was Owens and it was nice. Turf negates the need for multiple fields for different sports and the bickering produced by coaches about ruining the grass, lines, and logos.

Upfront cost should never be a defining factor when longevity cost are considered. Fertilizer, seed, manhours, and water are bills that never go away on natural fields. You cannot even get a school board to consider turf in Catawba County. They can't get past the crying if one school ever got it. I have even heard that schools paid sewer rates based on water consumption of sprinkler systems and never got individual meters for sprinklers which increased the water bill by 160%. Very bad planning by the districts in this case.

#20 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:21 AM

That field look good. My favorites are Asheville, Cherokee, and Erwin. They stand out from the rest. West Hendo as well now.

#21 WestHendersonFalcons

WestHendersonFalcons

Established Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

Had this sent to me today. This'll be the last update until it's finished. It's just one purdy field, in one purdy setting. Have no clue what the other 2 in the county are looking like yet.

west.jpg

#22 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

I was at east today,looks like want be long before they lay the turf.

#23 CougarsOfAHS

CougarsOfAHS

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

Looks great! Can't wait to see it in person last game of conference play.

JeffChapman-Dynamic