Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

East Davidson?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:23 AM

Anyone have any ideas who might be a good fit to take over the coaching job at East Davidson?

Coach Vance Hanner has left it better than it was when he took over, so will need someone who can keep the momentum going as the CCC gets a whole lot tougher this year.

#2 FootballLife78

FootballLife78

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

any news on EDHS? 

#3 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,020 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

I'm hearing that East Davidson will begin interviewing candidates this week, sources say they'll interview ten coaches. I'm not privy to who they're going after but I've done some research of some area coaches, coaches I know that have ties to the area, and coaches I know would be a good fit and have come up with a list of guys I would strongly consider. 

1. Marlon Morris: An assistant at Eastern Randolph, he would be among my top picks to succeed Coach Hanner.  He's been the defensive coordinator for Jim Bob Bryant at Havelock, a coordinator at Brevard, and was the defensive coordinator for six seasons at Ledford so he certainly has the know-how, experience, and background to be a head coach.  He played college football at Guilford and has roughly 20-24 years of experience.  He also lives in Davidson County and played at High Point Central in the late 80's, early 90's so he knows the area, the opposition, and all about the East program. 

2. David Hines:  Has been the defensive coordinator at Southeast Guilford for the past several years, has been a head coach at Eastern Guilford and Chocowinity Southside as well as having considerable head baseball coaching experience.  He played at North Davidson and has strong Davidson County roots and I know he's been looking for a reason to get back in the community.  I coached with him at Douglas Byrd as well so he also has a very diverse background. 

3.  Charlie Gray:  Assistant coach at West Rowan, Coach Gray is probably ready for another head coaching gig after his last stop leading Hopewell.  Coaches that know him rave about his ability to connect with kids, he's about as authentic as it gets.  He also brings experience from Mallard Creek where he was their OL coach. 

4.  Brian Billings:  Offensive coordinator at West Davidson, Billings is a head coach type coach in an assistant role.  He's a student of the game, knows X's and O's as well as anyone, and knows the layout of the CCC as good as any coach.  Having been at West for many years and currently working for Bryan Lingerfelt, he certainly should know what it takes to succeed at East from day one. 

5.  Travis Billings:  Current defensive coach for Kannapolis, like his brother Brian, he knows football as good as anyone and would be a helluva coach for anyone.  Given that he doesn't live too far down I-85 from the school, he'd be among the coaches I looked at. 

6.  Caleb Pardue:  Assistant at Walkertown, I've seen him out and about and have watched him gain respect as a coach, he'd be someone I would consider for a job like East. 

7. Justin Allred:  Offensive Coordinator at J.H. Rose, he's got Randolph county roots and he's proven he's ready for a head coaching spot.  East Davidson would be the perfect job for him to get his feet wet as a head coach and put down roots and grow.  

8.  Anthony Timmons:  Head Coach at Knightdale, he's another coach with deep Davidson County roots.  I don't think he's looking to leave the 4A ranks, but after having success at East Montgomery and Graham, he'd be a perfect fit at East. 

9. Sam Spencer:  Assistant at North Moore, he's been a coach at Chatham Central for many years and in my estimation is certainly ready to step out and earn a role as a head coach. 

10. Ryan Ochier;  Assistant at Thomasville, he's been around several successful programs in North Carolina and certainly has the background and knowledge of the game to advance to the next level. 

‚Äč11. Marcus Hamilton:  Assistant at Central Davidson, he's another guy that's been paying his dues as an assistant and is ready for the challenge of being a head coach.  Having Davidson roots and knowing the conference, he'd be on my short list to interview. 

12.  Ryan Croweder:  Former Salisbury head coach, I thought he lacked the support he was needing to really do a great job at Salisbury, I feel his style and approach would serve him much better at East, I think he could win right away. 

Adding to this list, there are about half a dozen guys just on Ledford's staff that I think are head coach ready as well as a couple of guys on North Davidson's staff.  I have to be honest, unfortunately I don't know enough coaches on the East Davidson staff to make an educated guess as to who could be promoted, but given their success and how typically guys there tend to stay a while, I'm sure they have a few guys who are certainly ready and have the know-how to take over. 

#4 Red Dragon

Red Dragon

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

I heard that it will probably be Coach McClamrock the D-Cord. at East. Any updates.

#5 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

Since Hanner has stepped down at WM do you think he might have re thought it and has decided to go back?

#6 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,020 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:57 AM

I don't think it will be McClammrock, but it could still happen. A source that's close to situation tell me a coach has been offered the position. With spring break being this week, I expect any movement won't happen until next week.

#7 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

Is Sam Spencer at North Moore???  Now, I thought he was at Chatham Central.

#8 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,020 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

Is Sam Spencer at North Moore???  Now, I thought he was at Chatham Central.

Yes, he's moved.  Will be on North staff next season. 

#9 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

With Hanner leaving West Montgomery. Do you think he rethought his decision and wants to go back to East?

#10 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

Would the administration rebuild a burnt bridge

#11 SportsJunkie

SportsJunkie

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

Not sure Hanner would be heading back to East, but could be somewhere close by. Good luck to him wherever he may end up.

#12 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

East Davidson has hired David Hines as their next head football coach.  He was previously the D.C. at SE Guilford and had head coach stops at Eastern Guilford and Southside. 

#13 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

Think this will be a good hire, actually surprised that they went outside for the head coach. Hopefully he can continue with what Hanner had built at East the past few years. Just going to be a tough conference now with North and Ledford back in the mix. Good Luck Coach Hines.

#14 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

I worked with Hines back at Douglas Byrd, he's a good coach and is well organized.  He's also had to learn from being in some tough situations as a young coach which I think will greatly help him now that he's much more experienced and experienced great success at SE Guilford. 

#15 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:03 AM

I would agree with you on that. I can remember the one season he was at EG. Was in a tough spot there with a fairly young team, and I think he did a very commendable job with what he had to work with. This is going to be good for both East and Coach Hines.

#16 Nipit

Nipit

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:16 AM

Another plus for coach Hines is that he is from the area.  The experience gained and local support...plus going in a program on an upswing makes this a terrific fit.  I worked with David for two years.  He will be in a tough league, but he will do fine.

JeffChapman-Dynamic