Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Western Guilford Names Bryant Miller New Head Coach

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Livstrng

Livstrng

Established Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

Western Guilford named Bryant Miller their new Head Coach.  Coach Miller was the defensive coordinator for the Northwest Guilford Vikings under coach Rolfes in 2015.  Then he was named their offensive coordinator in 2016.  I will have more on this later this evening.  What are your thoughts on this hire?  

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

He is very qualified, he's got extensive experience out of NC as well.  I think this has potential to be a good hire for WG. 

#3 Livstrng

Livstrng

Established Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:08 PM

I've done a little research on Coach Miller and I did find some stats from teams he coached.  It was tough to find anything on him from when he coached in Ohio.  He has only been in this state for 2 seasons with the Vikings.  I hope he can turn Western around but time will tell.  I was hoping Western would go with a proven winner in this state but I'm sure not too many people were kicking down the door for that job especially with that tough conference Western Guilford will be in.  Coach Miller did have a very talented roster at NW this year on offense and they really struggled to win games.  I don't know if he will have the talent he had at NWG but he will be playing some really talented teams in Mt Tabor, Dudley, and even NWG.  I know he was only the Coordinator at NW so I'm not sure how much say so he had in the offense.  From what I've heard Rolfes is an offensive coach so I'm sure Rolfes was calling plays.  

Looking at Maxpreps stats from NW and when Coach Miller was the DC at NW his defense averaged letting up 20 ppg in 2015.  That year they  beat 3 teams with winning records in SE Guilford (16-9 Win), Reidsville (27-14 Win), and Garner (playoff game 29-28 Win).  The other 3 top teams they played were Northern Guilford (21-13 Loss), East Forsyth (58-20 Loss), and Fuquay Varina (35-20 Loss).

In 2016 Coach Miller was named the OC at NW Guilford.  Many in the Guilford County area thought that this years team was the most talented team on paper in school history.  They had 3 big time players on offense in Tre Turner (4 star with offers to most power 5 schools), Thomas Hennigan (App State), Cam Cloud (UVA, Elon, UNCC) NW had a very tough year where they went 7-5 and was beat in the 1st rd of the playoffs.  

Coach Miller was also the Defensive Coordinator at Bluffton HS in Ohio from 2012-2014.  In those years they were a 500 football team.

2012 they were 5-5 (gave up 23.9 ppg)

2013 they were 6-4 (gave up 19.4 ppg)

2014 they were 3-8 (gave up 25.4 ppg)

With all that said I don't know if this hire will get the Western Guilford fan base too excited.  I see that the players already had a petition going to keep one of their assistant coaches on staff as the Head Coach.  So he will have to fight that as well if he keeps any of the current coaches on staff.  One good thing is when a team is as bad as Western has been you can pretty much come in a redo everything with no questions being asked.  

JeffChapman-Dynamic