Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Atwood out

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

resigned from West Forsyth 

#2 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

WOW ! What's the story ?

#3 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

WHAT???????. Resigned. Why? He just turned the whole West Forsyth wrestling program completely around into a state champion.

#4 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

Come on Mustang, spill the beans. You know the man very well. He moved his off season tourney to Glenn High so is he taking over at that school?

#5 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

Yea I do know him and I do think Glenn is very much in the Mix as he stated in the newspaper but I am sure he has a few irons in other fires too,. 

#6 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

Yea I do know him and I do think Glenn is very much in the Mix as he stated in the newspaper but I am sure he has a few irons in other fires too,.

Maybe after 9 dual championships he wants new challenges. He also has 7 state individual tournament championships. That's a ring for all fingers, thumbs, one foot, and starting on another foot. I have never heard of any coach in North Carolina even remotely coming close to that number of championships.

#7 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

Mike Esposito Track coach at Mt Tabor now Head track coach at High Point University.  Tommy Knotts football West Charlotte and Independence, Coach Colvin Robbinsville 11 championships football  But you are right quite an accomplishment 

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Atwood has been a good influence on a lot of at risk kids. He has changed the direction of a lot of kids with one parent or no parent present. Make no mistake, he is a tough love guy. When he says get on the bus it is said with some strong words. When he says stop messing around, the words take me back to the days when I was in high school. Atwood is a throw back to a time when teachers were feared and respected. I don't know him personally but have seen him many times at off season and in season tournaments.

Atwood can take a turd and turn it into a gold nugget. I think back to some of the kids he coached in the last decade and they were impressive on the mat. Now I can tell you from sitting up in the stands that he is a hated man. Not disliked, hated. People do not like the fact he has won many championships or the fact he gets a lot of calls based on his success. He is not afraid to confront officials, college coaches, or representatives of organizations. The man has a big set. Like him or not he out works everybody in the NC wrestling community. He has a small advantage in the open enrollment district of Forsyth County but a huge disadvantage in the fact the district has no middle school wrestling. Then he gets a freshman for the first time and makes him a success from the beginning.

#9 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

Looks like Atwood took his talents to Glenn High in Kernersville. I would image his staff will follow him as they did to West Forsyth. I feel like Glenn will be the next 4A power. Will Atwood be the first wrestling coach to win titles at 4 schools? Has any coach in any sport in North Carolina had four titles at different schools? Glenn will be a challenge much like Parkland. I would assume this is his passion, turning around programs with at risk kids.

#10 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:47 AM

Do many systems have middle school wrestling?

#11 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:47 AM

#12 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

Almost all do but many have a difficult time finding coaches. Wrestlers typically go into other avenues than teaching. Forsyth, Robeson, Wake, and Mecklenburg Counties do not have middle school wrestling. I think one school in Wake was trying to make a team in 2013 or 2014. Forsyth County has boys volleyball instead of wrestling last I heard. There are others (off the top I don't remember them) but as you can see that's a lot of 4A high schools who have no feeder program. About half the 4A schools start their programs with little experience.

One interesting fact: most of the bigger wrestling clubs are in large metro areas with no middle school wrestling.

#13 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

I was thinking clubs are the main training ground for young wrestlers.

#14 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

I was thinking clubs are the main training ground for young wrestlers.

The better wrestlers are in clubs and wrestle during Spring in tournaments. A good youth program by high school coaches lead to more championships. Newton-Conover has 200 kids in a youth program after the high school regular season that last for a month. They have matches once a week during that period and are coached by high schoolers and volunteer parents. That's their key to keeping parents and kids involved. Their middle school won 101 consecutive matches during the years Coach Mike Cary was at the middle school and a couple years after. Cary is the head coach of Fred T Foard and has won two state titles in his short career as head high school coach.

Atwood runs his own intense program. With no middle school wrestling he takes his high school kids to matches in the off season. He also has a dedicated staff that has been with him a long time. Clubs are pretty expensive so Atwood has a system to progress his kids rapidly once they join the team. Atwood also goes the extra mile trying to get his kids in college wrestling if they take their academics serious. Luis Ramos went to Princeton University on a wrestling scholarship after Parkland High. Ramos was in the IB program. If kids know you will help them be successful they will be more committed.

#15 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

Tough getting a wrestling scholarship if you wrestle in NC 

#16 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

Tough getting a wrestling scholarship if you wrestle in NC

This is very true. Not on the minds of coaches recruiting the country. Penn, New Jersey, New York, California, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, and others get more attention. North Carolina head coaches come from these areas with the exception of App State. Very few NC colleges have wrestling. Only five colleges come to mind with wrestling programs in South Carolina. I cannot even think of but one D1 in the state of Georgia. A few other D3 and NAIA.

A new program is starting next year here in NC. Queens College has hired one of the best wrestling camp instructors in the nation as head coach. Congrats on the hiring of Ken Chertow.

JeffChapman-Dynamic