Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Kestrel Heights

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

It was bound to happen ...

http://www.highschoo...itive/16562367/

Now, I wonder if North Moore will be able to find a Week 1 opponent for its season opener?  Bishop McGuinness will need a game for Week 4.

#2 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

The UNC of High School basketball!

#3 Reeducator

Reeducator

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

I'm sure there's more to it than what is floating around the media. But the eyebrows are raised because their basketball team was so good. Gotta feel bad for the kids. They didn't do anything to get in this mess.

#4 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,143 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:31 PM

I'm sure there's more to it than what is floating around the media. But the eyebrows are raised because their basketball team was so good. Gotta feel bad for the kids. They didn't do anything to get in this mess.

Sports had nothing to do with the academic investigation.

#5 abpirate

abpirate

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:21 AM

they just happened to all show up to go to school at a place that isn't a school at all.

#6 Reeducator

Reeducator

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

Ive talked to some people on the inside there and it was a combination of things. Mismanagement of things like online classes, handling of credits, and some mistakes on the counselor end. People responsible have all been removed. Kestrel has been around for a long time and from knowing staff and coaches and having teacher workshops there, it is a real school with real students. 

And youre right BTango, the academic situation has nothing to do with sports, but I do know that because of it, the basketball program has had to endure almost weekly scrutiny from the teams they were playing over the eligibility status of their players solely because of the academic mess. Again a bad situation for a good team of kids that had been at the school for years and did something really special this season. 

#7 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,143 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

With that said I am sure there are former athletes that fall into the same quality control issues regarding their academics for graduation.  Very disappointing for all involved.

KH is a perfect example of the argument against charter schools participating in 1A sports.  1A school located in a large metro area.

JeffChapman-Dynamic