Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Any news on WM head coaching vacancy?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

Got to be getting close to a hire, anyone know anything?

#2 WMHS 2017

WMHS 2017

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

Should be soon .

#3 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

Unbelievable interest shown in the job. The candidate list was impressive as were the applicants. Funny story.... rumor has it that the coach from across the river had his name in every hat he could throw it in until Eddins left West Montgomery. He pulled it out after that. And the sources of the rumors are from there with first hand knowledge of the team. I'm guessing he's assuming he'll be the head coach of the new school. After three years of getting thumped in 2A that won't look too good on a resume' regardless of his "seniority" in the county. Like I said weeks ago, West Montgomery will be just fine. They return one hell of a lot. Not to take anything away from the seniors but West should be as good if not better next season. Replacing the leadership of the Srs. will be the biggest obstacle and often times leadership trumps talent. Look at East. They had more talent across the board and couldn't get out of their own way.  

#4 WMHS 2017

WMHS 2017

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

The news should come out on Monday maybe?

#5 new_dawg

new_dawg

JV Team

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

Unbelievable interest shown in the job. The candidate list was impressive as were the applicants. Funny story.... rumor has it that the coach from across the river had his name in every hat he could throw it in until Eddins left West Montgomery. He pulled it out after that. And the sources of the rumors are from there with first hand knowledge of the team. I'm guessing he's assuming he'll be the head coach of the new school. After three years of getting thumped in 2A that won't look too good on a resume' regardless of his "seniority" in the county. Like I said weeks ago, West Montgomery will be just fine. They return one hell of a lot. Not to take anything away from the seniors but West should be as good if not better next season. Replacing the leadership of the Srs. will be the biggest obstacle and often times leadership trumps talent. Look at East. They had more talent across the board and couldn't get out of their own way.  

Or maybe he had something else in the works.

#6 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

He will nearly double his salary and going to his home state.

He had interest in some HC positions at bigger schools in metro areas but was looking only at positions that worked for him.  He was not willing to take any job.

All of what we hear is not always exactly right.

#7 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

When is East and West Montgomery supposed to consolidate? That would have an impact on who is interested in either of these jobs. If they don't consolidate then it is still a great county to live/teach/coach in.

#8 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

Supposedly opening in 2019. Realistically 2020. But.....there's a lot of things in the works to open West Montgomery Charter School and the backing, community support and financials are there. With the new administration in DC folks in Montgomery County will have another high school option instead of the one forced down the community's throat without a vote by the current Superintendent.  

Note that the East Montgomery job is now open.

#9 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

WM1977 why are you so against a potential consolidation?

#10 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

It's been discussed ad nauseam. Main reason is the discipline problems at East and the lack of parental involvement with curbing the issues. Over 30% of their students last year were involved in some sort of suspension whether it was in school or out of school. Plus the overall attitude from that side of the county isn't what West Montgomery is used to or wants to be associated with. It's not just me btango. An overwhelming majority of the county is against it. That's why it wasn't put to a vote and was force fed to the community. Don't worry, your Bulldogs will be welcome at WMCS. Imagine your Bulldogs from the championship years. They had the best from Stanly County and a few from West Montgomery. Only at WMCS it will be legal and legit!! Ha Ha!!!  

#11 WMHS 2017

WMHS 2017

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

You keep spewing that nonsense about WMCS.In the end what are we teaching our kids? That if you don't like something create something that suits you? Maybe just give it a chance and see what happens. 77 sometimes life is not fair and we have to live it the way it is presented.

#12 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

I think the message we are sending to our kids is to stand up for your rights, fight for what you believe in and if something isn't right you make it right. Falling in line like sheep blindly following is idiotic. As far as the "nonsense" about WMCS you must not be involved. Well...that says it all. Disguising yourself as a WM fan to post is pretty sad. I don't know of ONE parent at WM who supports the combined high school. Not a single one has said it's a good idea. As far as fair goes, that's a place where you buy fried bread and cotton candy. The booster's and community at West Montgomery have the means necessary to rectify the problem. And it's well funded, supported and in motion. So why don't you just set back and see what happens.

#13 raider1

raider1

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:23 PM

The word is that E and W will be the same this coming football season , but the following year THE TWO SCHOOLS WILL COMBINE AND PLAY TOGETHER AS ONE , EVEN BEFORE THE NEW SCHOOL IS FINISHED OR CONSOLIDATED..........That's the word at the river.....

#14 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:27 PM

I am not a fan of one school. I travel around the state to see the best teams. Have seen the best in over twenty states play at home including California and Texas. Last year Nevada. Even took in the Montgomery County regular season title game last year.

You have failed to tell us what starters for AHS title teams lived in Montgomery County and / oe one of the other three districts in Stanly. I am not disputing as I do not know but you seem to often not have all the story or solid facts.

#15 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

The word is that E and W will be the same this coming football season , but the following year THE TWO SCHOOLS WILL COMBINE AND PLAY TOGETHER AS ONE , EVEN BEFORE THE NEW SCHOOL IS FINISHED OR CONSOLIDATED..........That's the word at the river.....

You have incorrect info. Until the school is open they cannot consolidate school teams.

#16 WMHS 2017

WMHS 2017

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:16 AM

I think the message we are sending to our kids is to stand up for your rights, fight for what you believe in and if something isn't right you make it right. Falling in line like sheep blindly following is idiotic. As far as the "nonsense" about WMCS you must not be involved. Well...that says it all. Disguising yourself as a WM fan to post is pretty sad. I don't know of ONE parent at WM who supports the combined high school. Not a single one has said it's a good idea. As far as fair goes, that's a place where you buy fried bread and cotton candy. The booster's and community at West Montgomery have the means necessary to rectify the problem. And it's well funded, supported and in motion. So why don't you just set back and see what happens.

#17 WMHS 2017

WMHS 2017

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:26 AM

Once again 77 you are wrong. Talking about hiding behind a name. Well you have done that as well. You also keep talking about a fairy tale. I wish it were the case of your so called charter school. My son attends West and will be affected if it does open in 2019-2020. So yes he is a freshman that plays football. So once again I am not one of them. Just because someone doesn't agree with you you go off your rocker. Are we to provide better education in better facilities or stay in the Stone age with both facilities. 77 I did not attack you as you have attacked everyone else on this board. New coach to be announced today. He will be a good one.

#18 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:31 AM

The building doesn't educate the kids. The early college program has been available for over 5 years. A fancy building won't affect the quality of education. The "fairy tale" is the fact that you don't have a clue what you are talking about in regards to WMCS. And yes...the new coach will pick up right where Coach Eddins left the program. If you do have a kid at WMHS you should be concerned about more than just a new building. There's a lot more in play than just fancy bricks and mortar.

#19 MHSE

MHSE

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Vance Hanner, former East Davidson head coach, will take over the football program at WM. 

#20 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

You are correct that a building does not educate but I assure you that the curriculum that can be offered with under 600 students in a school is limited unless you have an enrollment that is very similar in education level and interest.

I do not know the specifics of the suspensions at East but from firsthand experience I have seen a school with much less suspensions and reports of disciplinary issues that had many more problems than another school with much worse reported numbers. Very similar in size and demographics in the same system.

If the majority of the admin and teachers come from West will the school still be a loser?

#21 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Not sure where you came up with the "loser" comment. The concern of the parents and community is a legitimate one. Anyone with knowledge of the two schools know about the discipline issues and the problems surrounding East Montgomery. As far as the classes offered that of course is common sense. Bigger schools offer more classes. Does that make them a better school? West Montgomery offers a lot of classes for a school their size and the community college program like I said earlier has been in place. Shoving a $20 million school that a majority of the county doesn't want down the throats of the citizens was wrong. It should have been put to a vote.  I don't believe it's the teachers or the administration that's the problem. You inferred quite a lot and fluffed up a point you are trying to make. The overall element that exists and has existed at East isn't a desirable one and I wish it was different but it's not. Like I said, just sit back and watch and see what happens in the next few years. That faculty and administration may very well have as many options as the kids.

#22 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

No "fluff". Just trying to get some ideas on the differences in opinion. It is my understanding that neither school performs very highly. Does East actually have better scores than West?

#23 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

There's a thread about this that's about four pages long. It's the YVC All Conference thread. No need to rehash that story on another thread. But in a nutshell, East has higher scores but they don't test every student due to ESL status. Even if the kid doesn't speak a second language they are classified by their ethnicity. This was disputed and the ones who disputed it were proven wrong. I think the last comment was "yes, East has meaner students and they are also smarter." West Montgomery only had 2% students that were eligible for ESL and I believe only 4 out of the entire student body were exempted. There is a website that you can look up and see all of the statistics. Pay close attention to the discipline statistics and the number of incidents. Compare the two and if you are a parent think long and hard if this is an environment you would want your son or daughter involved in. This is nothing new. It's been that way at East Montgomery as long as that place has been open.

#24 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info and a great quote, "smarter and meaner."

#25 sweaterfee

sweaterfee

JV Team

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the info and a great quote, "smarter and meaner."

Actually that was something I posted , but he got the quote wrong . I wrote " Regardless , the cumulative conclusion from the MCS website and the startclass.com website would be, OVERALL, the kids from East Montgomery are MEANER and SMARTER than the kids from West Montgomery." I was being facetious , hence putting MEANER and SMARTER in all caps. '77 if you are going to quote a post , do it correctly. For Example 

- "As far as your test scores and grades go EVERY kid at West Montgomery is counted toward the overall score." ( FALSE)

-" Two seasons ago their QB refused to go back into a game. NOTHING was done. Kid started the very next game." ( FALSE)

- " Yes, you graduated from East and I'm guessing that bitterness of having been in the shadows of West your entire life......." ( FALSE)

- " Funny story ... rumor has it that the coach from across the river had his name in every hat he could throw it in until Eddins left West Montgomery. He pulled it out after that. And the sources of the rumors are from there with first hand knowledge of the team." ( FALSE. My guess is you made this up like you do so many other things, but if not , like you , your sources suck.) 

These are a few examples of how to correctly quote someone's post. 

WM1977, all of this is a WIN/WIN  . You do not want to be associated with the EAST side and the EAST side does not want to be associated with narrow minded people like yourself. Good Luck with your charter, it truly will be a WIN/WIN for everyone.

JeffChapman-Dynamic