Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Regional times and locations set

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#76 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

Go over to Cameron and check out where Bob Harris does the radio play by play in the birds nest.

Woody and Bob went to Albemarle High School together in the late 1950's.

I am aware that broadcasting area at Cameron is terrible. The broadcasting last year at Wake Forest was great. The area at UNCG was very tight. I was surprise at how small was the media area at UNCG.

#77 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,294 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

The UNCG men play at the Coliseum. Not a need for extensive media options.

#78 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

Ask any old time UNC fan, 50 or older, and they will tell you they wish Carmichael were still the home court.

Really???

You had to tell everybody I am old???

And yes wish they still played there.

Or at least put the students in the Dean dome where they could have a similar effect as they did way back when.

But money always wins out doesn't it?

#79 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,294 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:36 AM

Dean Dome should have first 15-20 rows of bleachers with nothing but students and may be a young celeb here and there.

#80 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

Dean Dome should have first 15-20 rows of bleachers with nothing but students and may be a young celeb here and there.

Hopefully a former Tar Heels great player will be at the game. One thing for sure regardless of how the outcome of both of these games. This trip I will remember for very long time.

#81 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,294 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

Hopefully a former Tar Heels great player will be at the game. One thing for sure regardless of how the outcome of both of these games. This trip I will remember for very long time.

Who is the former player you have in mind?

#82 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

Who is the former player you have in mind?

Aantawn Jamison and Tyler Hansbrough.

#83 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,294 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

Hansbrough is playing in the D League. Do not expect him there.

Not sure what Jamison is doing. He did live in Waxhaw.

#84 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

Hansbrough is playing in the D League. Do not expect him there.

Not sure what Jamison is doing. He did live in Waxhaw.

I see. Anyone showing earlier from the 1996 class or before that unless it MJ or Rashid Wallace or Brad Daugherty or Jr Reed chance are I won't recognizing recognize them.

#85 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,294 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

I feel pretty confident there will not be a former or current Tar Heel player in the building.

#86 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

I feel pretty confident there will not be a former or current Tar Heel player in the building.

Maybe not, but in 2014 Roy himself made an appearance at courtside (I mean I personally have no use for the baby bluers, but he got a big cheer from a large part of the audience).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#87 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

Maybe not, but in 2014 Roy himself made an appearance at courtside (I mean I personally have no use for the baby bluers, but he got a big cheer from a large part of the audience).

One thing I can guarantee you guaranteed guarantee guarantee you guys if Roy or any other former or current UNC player show up they will receive big cheer from all 4 of us on radiofreecabarrus. We are all diehard UNC fan. Roy and any former or current UNC will get a big cheer from Cox Mill head coach he is a big UNC fan.

#88 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,294 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

My thought right now is UNC will be in NYC Saturday but a few teams have a say in that.

#89 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

My thought right now is UNC will be in NYC Saturday but a few teams have a say in that.

Maybe...

Idiots Boeheim and Bilas want all ACC teams there from now on.

That way Syracuse might NEVER have to leave the state and could win more games. Checked their schedule once when they were in Big East and they played like 18 out of 24 games in NY state.

Greensboro has done just fine by the ACC Jim.

Get on a plane and live a little.

Nice rant huh?

#90 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,294 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

The biggest positive for Greensboro is it is "the" event of the year.  The big problem for Greensboro is it is "the" event of the year.  I like it in Greensboro though, because I love the nostalgia.  Wonder if we can get back to the old seven or eight teams.

Regarding Jim Boeheim. Twenty years ago I was in a position where I met and interated with many coaches.  I did not like Boeheim and really did not like Bob Huggins (then at Cincinnati) based on television and their teams.  After spending time with them they were my favorite two coaches.  Splendid guys especially Huggins who was as down to earth as they came.    

#91 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

In person Boeheim may be a good guy. Have never met him. Have known quite a few people whose public persona was much different than their private one.

Having said that, as I have mentioned in this thread, sorta old guy here. Like traditions, no DH in baseball, call traveling and carrying in basketball, hitting of quarterbacks in football, well you get the picture.

The ACC originated in Raleigh, tourney was held in the state of NC from start in 1954 until 1976(still don't like Wally Walker but he could play).

Since then has been outside of NC 11 times in the last 40 years I believe.  

Hate seeing all those empty seats in the Barclay Center in Brooklyn. Heck my HS drivers ed teacher went every year to Greensboro when team supporters would come out mad cause Clemson lost again. Seats looked always full in Greensboro back then. Toughest ticket in sports they used to say.

Now you get a "new" school come in from the what I always thought was the over rated Big East(see 1982) and their coach says tourney has no business in Greensboro and there are no "top" HS basketball players here anyway they all in NYC area?

Not a purebred redneck but got enough in my blood to be offended when a carpetbagger tries to sell me a hill of beans.

Wow stayed on that soapbox didn't I?

If anyone wants me to pass the plate after that sermon let me know.

#92 HHS2003

HHS2003

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

Huggins and Desaun Butler is something I will never forget.

#93 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

Regarding what Jim Boeheim had to say about Greensboro he has a point but he should have been way more respectful toward the city of Greensboro. As far the championship game on Saturday I am wrong to consider both Hickory Ridge and Cox Mill as 4-6 points favorite in both of these games?

#94 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:11 PM

Regarding what Jim Boeheim had to say about Greensboro he has a point but he should have been way more respectful toward the city of Greensboro. 

Jim Boeheim quotes From the N&O article: “There’s no value in playing Greensboro, none,” Boeheim said. “It’s there because the league’s been there and the office is there, and they have 150 people that the ACC needs. That’s why it’s there. It should not be there. … And I’m saying all that because I don’t give a (expletive). I’m just saying what’s right. That’s what’s right.”

From ESPN article: "The media centers, the recruiting centers are Atlanta, Washington, D.C., and New York," he said. "How many good players are in Greensboro? 

From 2014 Syracuse first year in ACC:  "I'm sure there's a couple Denny's down there" in reference to the ACC's restaurant options. That did not go over well. Earlier, he suggested that one of the few people who would prefer Greensboro to New York as a basketball tournament site "would be maybe the mayor of Greensboro."

Sorry I know this thread is about the excellent high schools playing for the state championships. Good luck to all.

But dang it this has got on my last nerve.

Wonder if the Waffle House is open?

Sorry Jim Denny's too hi falutin for me.

#95 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:26 AM

Regarding what Jim Boeheim had to say about Greensboro he has a point but he should have been way more respectful toward the city of Greensboro. As far the championship game on Saturday I am wrong to consider both Hickory Ridge and Cox Mill as 4-6 points favorite in both of these games?

Hickory Ridge better have an answer for Elissa Cunane:

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=lcKe2gC9F2c

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#96 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

Looks like Roy and company might be available to see a game in the Smith center today after all. :D

― C.S. Lewis

#97 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

Looks like Roy and company might be available to see a game in the Smith center today after all. :D

Too soon...

#98 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,294 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

I doubt they wander out in public after that game.

#99 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

Ole Roy took a basket of crying towels home last night. Owned by the Big K again.

#100 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

Ole Roy took a basket of crying towels home last night. Owned by the Big K again.

Used to really dislike Big K (OK still pretty much do) but his backup point guard Little A has taken over the role as most disliked in my household.

The one who has, in my opinion, been the only reason Big K has got this team of his where they are is the other K wearing an ugly uniform. Without Kennard this year they might have been a .500 team at best. That boy can play. Just has bad judgment in choice of institutions.

JeffChapman-Dynamic