Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Regional times and locations set

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#51 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

10-13k?!? You have got to be kidding me. The gym at UNCG has 2,350 seats. The Dean Dome is too big. Carmichael has no parking.

Tough to figure out best place to play the state title games.

10-13 would great but chance are 5-8K from Cabarrus,County will show up. On the way home yesterday I was told that when Concord played in the championship game that 10K showed up for that game.

#52 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

Morganton Freedom crowd was much larger than the Cabarrus County crowd(s) yesterday in the 2,350 seat gym.

#53 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Morganton Freedom crowd was much larger than the Cabarrus County crowd(s) yesterday in the 2,350 seat gym.

I agree that Freedom had a bigger crowd then Cabarrus County. I really believe that next Saturday with a 5 and 7:30 tipoff we could see 5 to as much As 13K from Cabarrus County showed up. Last year at Carmichael we had closer to 4K and that was for the Robinson game. And Hickory Ridge normally drew a huge number of fans especially when they are on the road.

#54 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:07 AM

How many were at the Concord v Rocky Mount boys game you mentioned earlier?

What would you estimate the total crowd for the Robinson title game last year?

#55 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

How many were at the Concord v Rocky Mount boys game you mentioned earlier?

What would you estimate the total crowd for the Robinson title game last year?

To answer your first question not being a high school basketball fan or a big high school fan in general at the time.I would guess that around 13K showed up. As far the Robinson game last year I would guess that in total we had around 9K showed up. This year beside 2 Cabarrus County teams playing back to back in the final we will have two teams from Guilford county face them. Finally even if we get 15K or in attendee or much lower than that the atmosphere will be very energetic. Also a I mentioned before as UNC fan to be in the Dean Dome for the first time. To sit where the great Woody Durham broadcasted all this UNC game in the radio. To be able to take pictures of all the greatest UNC players who had their own number retired. As well to take pictures of the ACC championship,and NCAA championships banners. Things like that you remember for a very long time.

#56 SpeakeroftheTruth

SpeakeroftheTruth

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

sportsbroadcaster1-

Do you just make stuff up?

1. Earlier in this thread you said, Cox Mill averaged 83 points per game...Cox Mill does not average 83 points per game for the season, not even close.  Really good team that I think will win next Saturday, but why make up stats?

2.  Charmichael Arena(formerly Auditorium), site of last season's 3A State Championships only seats 6,822....so your estimate of 9,000 for the Robinson v. Sanford game is beyond laughable.  I would assume it was somewhere in the 4,500 range.  Which is still fantastic for high school basketball.  But why make stuff up?

#57 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

Crowds for high school sporting events are often over inflated.

I have asked AD's if the crowd was X as I read on the forums and they laughed about it as they gave me some educated estimates using ticket sales and season ticket numbers.  Remember, when people do not have a ticket with a seat assigned they normally do not use just one space per person and leave more space than would be normal between them.  The standard seating on bleachers does not comfortably fit today's average sized adult male.

#58 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

sportsbroadcaster1-

Do you just make stuff up?

1. Earlier in this thread you said, Cox Mill averaged 83 points per game...Cox Mill does not average 83 points per game for the season, not even close. Really good team that I think will win next Saturday, but why make up stats?

2. Charmichael Arena(formerly Auditorium), site of last season's 3A State Championships only seats 6,822....so your estimate of 9,000 for the Robinson v. Sanford game is beyond laughable. I would assume it was somewhere in the 4,500 range. Which is still fantastic for high school basketball. But why make stuff up?

Neither info was that I posted in here was me intentionally trying to make up staff or lie on purpose. So I apologize for that. As far the boys game goes it Eastern Guilford average 68 per game Cox Mill at 70. However looking at stats Cox Mill appear like they are More comfortable scoring in the high 70s and above that while Eastern more comfortable in the games being in the 60s

#59 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

Crowds for high school sporting events are often over inflated.

I have asked AD's if the crowd was X as I read on the forums and they laughed about it as they gave me some educated estimates using ticket sales and season ticket numbers. Remember, when people do not have a ticket with a seat assigned they normally do not use just one space per person and leave more space than would be normal between them. The standard seating on bleachers does not comfortably fit today's average sized adult male.

This are all good info to keep in mind so thanks for posting that in here. I am hoping that we will be sitting behind the Cox Mill and Hickory Ridge. I enjoyed during the broadcast when we have a brake to interact with the fans.

#60 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

Carmichael was really nice last year but I think you guys will be just fine in The Dean Dome. I am hoping for about 10-13K showing up combine from Hickory Ridge and Cox Mill.

Highly doubt that. More like 2-4k.

#61 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Highly doubt that. More like 2-4k.

Let hope that the atmosphere will be as static energetic as it was on Saturday at UNCG. As both the Freedom fans and the Cabarrus County made this feel like a NCAA tournament game.

#62 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

Best atmosphere I have been to in title game was about five years ago when New Hanover beat West Charlotte at Reynolds.  It was hot and loud.  The place was rocking!!!

#63 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

Best atmosphere I have been to in title game was about five years ago when New Hanover beat West Charlotte at Reynolds. It was hot and loud. The place was rocking!!!

Best atmosphere as a broadcaster was the 4 th round of the 2014 playoff was between Mount Pleasant at Shelby. As far as basketball goes it was last Tuesday Hickory at Cox Mill it was me broadcasting the game solo the atmosphere was through the roof. That game felt like the NCAA final four type of a game.

#64 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

I have been to a few NCAA Final Fours. Playing them in a dome sucks.

Playoff hoops is good stuff.

#65 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:33 PM

East Carteret v WS Prep at Carmichael for 1A two or theee years was a great one also.

#66 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

I have been to a few NCAA Final Fours. Playing them in a dome sucks.

Playoff hoops is good stuff.

Anything in particular as a broadcaster and as a fan that I should look for while in the dome? As this will be first time ever to be inside the dome.

#67 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

East Carteret v WS Prep at Carmichael for 1A two or theee years was a great one also.

Speaking of Carmichael while there last year maybe it just me but inside it looks old and relatively small. I am hoping that the dome will look newer and bigger.

#68 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:53 AM

Anything in particular as a broadcaster and as a fan that I should look for while in the dome? As this will be first time ever to be inside the dome.

I do not consider the Dean Smith Center a dome but an arena. The facilities the NCAA Final Four is played in are also used for football.

Get there early and go to the museum which is to the left of the Dean Dome. Also, go in the corridor to the media room and you will see items from the title teams. Will he a great experience.

#69 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:57 AM

Speaking of Carmichael while there last year maybe it just me but inside it looks old and relatively small. I am hoping that the dome will look newer and bigger.

It is over fifty years old and was built when basketball had been deemphasized by UNC due to the scandals of the early 1960's. It is small with under 7,000 seats but that is partly because there are no stands on the bench side of the arena. I much prefer the title games there than in the Dean Dome.

#70 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

I do not consider the Dean Smith Center a dome but an arena. The facilities the NCAA Final Four is played in are also used for football.

Get there early and go to the museum which is to the left of the Dean Dome. Also, go in the corridor to the media room and you will see items from the title teams. Will he a great experience.

Unfortunately or fortunately depend on how you look at chance are I won't be able to go to the museum as I am riding with 2 other broadcaster from Concord chances are the museum is a no go. As far as going to the corridor in the media room chance are we will be able to go over there as we might be staying in the media room before we get on the air.

#71 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

It is over fifty years old and was built when basketball had been deemphasized by UNC due to the scandals of the early 1960's. It is small with under 7,000 seats but that is partly because there are no stands on the bench side of the arena. I much prefer the title games there than in the Dean Dome.

Watched many a game there in the early 1980s (low admission standards I guess). Great venue for a basketball game. Back then could get really hot and loud in there. That's right I said loud. Student section took up 1/3 or more of court side seating.

Can you imagine UNC putting students in those high dollar seats in Dean dome? Been a few times to watch games there. Very nice place. Seating straight up so feels like you are closer to game.

Nothing like Carmichael though. That place rocked. When MJ blocked a Ralph Sampson hook near top of backboard roof almost came off the joint.

Uhoh "roof" sorry Mike.  :D

#72 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

Watched many a game there in the early 1980s (low admission standards I guess). Great venue for a basketball game. Back then could get really hot and loud in there. That's right I said loud. Student section took up 1/3 or more of court side seating.

Can you imagine UNC putting students in those high dollar seats in Dean dome? Been a few times to watch games there. Very nice place. Seating straight up so feels like you are closer to game.

Nothing like Carmichael though. That place rocked. When MJ blocked a Ralph Sampson hook near top of backboard roof almost came off the joint.

Uhoh "roof" sorry Mike. :D

Carmichael appear very small to me that right from the back entrance to the arena you take few step forward downstairs and you are on the court. Also the media sitting area upstairs was small that 12 media members we had had to share two relatively small tables. I am curious to see how big the media room is. What kind of food and drink will they have for us lol. I am looking forward to see how well is the view from court side view.

#73 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

Remember media requirements were much less extensive in 1965 and 1985. Most games were not televised. Different world!

#74 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:19 PM

Ask any old time UNC fan, 50 or older, and they will tell you they wish Carmichael were still the home court.

#75 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

Go over to Cameron and check out where Bob Harris does the radio play by play in the birds nest.

Woody and Bob went to Albemarle High School together in the late 1950's.

JeffChapman-Dynamic