Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Mount Tabor head coach Laymarr Marshall steps down

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,480 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

After nine seasons leading the Spartans, Laymarr Marshall has stepped down to accept a college coaching position.

Link:  CarolinaPreps.com - Laymarr Marshall steps down at Mount Tabor. 

This is probably one of the top two or three best jobs in Forsyth County.  The facilities are top notch, they've got great history and tradition, and the community and demographics are ideal for a championship level program. 

Mount Tabor has had some incredible runs over the course of the last 20-years including several big-time seasons.  They last reached a state championship game in 2006.  

I could see quite a number of candidates go after this one.  If I were to speculate, this could be my short list.

1.  Martin Samek:  Head coach at Parkland, no way do I see him anyway other than the leading candidate.  He spent a considerable amount of time at Mount Tabor as a defensive coordinator and really fits the mold.  I'm not saying he'll want it or get the job, but he's got to be considered. 

2.  Pete Gilchrist:  Head coach at North Forsyth, he's one of the top coaches in the county and would really fit in well at Tabor.  He led teams to championships in the past, I could see him being able to maintain and build upon what Coach Marshall has established. 

3.  Richard Burton:  Defensive Coordinator at Reagan, he comes from the Johnny Roscoe tree at Northern Guilford and he would be a stellar coach.  In my opinion, he's a head coach in waiting that just needs an opportunity. 

4.  Maurice Flowers:  I've touted him for jobs in the past, he would be a great addition at Tabor or anywhere. 

5.  Steve Burdeau:  Former offensive coordinator at Richmond County, he's another head coach in waiting that needs an opportunity.  He'd be a superstar at Tabor for certain. 

6.  Luke Little:  Head coach at Whiteville, I know he's from the piedmont region and would probably love to get back to the center of the state.  He's already got a tremendous resume at Whiteville, he'd do well at a big 4A school and he does have a connection to the Winston-Salem area with family that has coached in the region. 

7.  Will Clark:  Former head coach at Crest is still searching for a job and would be a fantastic candidate for this job, he does have a state championship under his belt. 

8.  Matt Stack:  Head coach at McMIchael, he still lives in Forsyth County and is a great young guy with potential. 

9.  David Hines:  Defensive Coordinator at SE Guilford and a Davidson County native, he's another up and coming head coach that has ties to the community and head coaching experience. 

10.  Jeremy Buck:  Assistant at Heritage and former head coach at Franklinton, Harding, and East Meck, another big-time up and coming head coach that would flourish at a big-time 4A school like Mount Tabor. 

There are also some very capable assistant coaches on staff that I'm sure principal Ed Weiss will consider. 

#2 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,519 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

I think Luke Little may have had a family member that was an assistant at Mt Tabor.  May be off on that.

#3 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,480 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

I think Luke Little may have had a family member that was an assistant at Mt Tabor. May be off on that.

Correct.

#4 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

If Russell Stone didn't accepted the job at Hickory I think he would been a good pick for Tabor esp if they wanted to WIN but Gilchrist and Flowers in my view would look to be the top 2 in opinion but all those names above are all great picks but who the right fit

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#5 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:58 AM

Good list Chris. Tabor's going to be one of the more intresting job openings of the season due to it's history and what they had last year. Marshall did a great job there as both his record and amount of kids sent to college speaks for himself. I wish him the best.

As for your list I'd say the three most intresting picks would be either Samek, Gilchrist, or Stack. The first two would be solid inter-county hires that would make for intresting rivalries with their previous schools as they will be in conference play with Tabor now. Stack on the other hand would be brand new to Forsyth ball but knows big team pressure well enough to handle it.

It really just depends on if they want experience/history or a young riser. Samek and especially Gilchrist have been around for a while but Stack's still not very experienced he's 1 year from completing a term at McMichael. Gilchrist has been the most sucessful in terms of getting hardware before as he won the conference at NF back in 13 while Samek's first pure winning year was last year while Stack's had to build a program from the nadir of the depths each year. If 1 of these 3 were to get it it would be a culture change for sure but they are good enough guys that they can handle it. I've met all 3 and I think either one would be a solid hire. Met Stack 2 times and the others once and I really liked all 3.

I'll be watching this one for sure.

#6 Nipit

Nipit

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

Amazing list of prospective coaches.... This program has lots of tradition and history.  It might be the best job still open in the state.

#7 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,519 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

Gilchrist is coming up on thirty years in the system.  Wonder if he will look at some options that will allow him to go part time and receive retirement.  I do not expect a physical move of residence but I could see him making some moves.  His record at North is not great but when you look at the overall situation I think he and his staff have did very well.

Sooner or later someone needs to give Maurice Flowers a second chance!  Not sure he has a shot at this job but there are some solid openings that he should be a definite contender for.

#8 SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

That list is not that great. Gilchrist is getting older and has struggled at North. Samek was a season away from being fired, not a great coach. Stack has 1 or 2 years of head coach experience, what makes him a good candidate. They need to follow the trend, Flowers would be a great hire. 

#9 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,480 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

That list is not that great. Gilchrist is getting older and has struggled at North. Samek was a season away from being fired, not a great coach. Stack has 1 or 2 years of head coach experience, what makes him a good candidate. They need to follow the trend, Flowers would be a great hire. 

While Coach, since I know who you are and that you know the landscape of Forsyth I'll give you a pass.  When I "speculate" on a job, in many cases I know good and well before I compile a list that there are names on it that won't come close to getting hired.  Sometimes that is on purpose, other times its simply to help promote a younger coach who needs his name out there. 

Since you know the dynamic of Winston-Salem Forsyth Schools, you know that Pete Gilchrist hasn't really had a fighting chance in hell to win consistently at North.  Pete is as good a coach as anyone out there but don't let his age fool you.  He has a pretty damn good son who will star for someone in this county in about 5 years, if you think he will allow some other coach to coach his kid, I think you're fooling yourself.  Gilchrist was a damn good RB at Cummings and went on to play at A&T and his wife was a track star so JP will be a stud.... he's already a 9-year old phenom if you ask me. 

While that's way off point, Gilchrist has been killed in recruiting due to the WSFCS school choice rules.  Mount Tabor and Reagan have taken about every stud player.  It's not that they didn't want to play for Gilchrist, it's just that those schools are far more attractive situations than North and as a parent, I understand them moving their kids. 

In other scenarios, you have to look at history to find a candidate.  Speaking of Martin Samek at Parkland for instance, he was a coordinator at Mount Tabor back when they were really, really good under Sapp and Barry Stewart and he worked with current principal Ed Weiss.  Given the cleanup he's done at Parkland and making them relevant again, he's earned a shot to return back home to Tabor.  While he didn't have the best one-year at Grimsley, he did remarkable at SW Randolph given the situation that they have zero talent. 

I'll give you Matt Stack, there is nothing about his resume that screams that he's ready for Mount Tabor, but he is local, and similar to Samek at SW Randolph, he has very little talent to work with at McMichael.  However, if you were to have seen his team this year, especially how they handled themselves against a very good Hibriten squad in the playoffs that was far superior to them, you'll see that this young coach has a tremendous upside.  He may have to prove it at another school, but he's got potential. 

Now I agree with you 100% and then some about Maurice Flowers, he would be a perfect pick for nearly any school that's still looking.  He's more than paid his dues and served his time for a situation that happened over a decade ago.  

#10 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,480 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

And there are probably a ton of other coaches that would be good fits at Mount Tabor that I didn't mention above. 

Coaches like...

Tripp Stone; Mallard Creek defensive coordinator, he's a Forsyth County guy and knows the system very well and already has close ties with all the Pop Warner coaches.  Kids would flock to play for him, no question about it. 

Mike Springston; former Walkertown head coach, he has been an assistant at Mount Tabor and his offensive acumen is second to none.  

Mike Byus; former East Lincoln head coach, he's very close friends with Springston, he plays golf in Winston-Salem nearly every week and is very close to this area.  I could see him as a great fit. 

Josh McGee; head coach at Reagan.  While I really don't see him leaving what he's built at Reagan, you'd bee a fool not to think he would be a stellar coach at Tabor or anywhere in Forsyth County. 

Josh Pardue; head coach at Walkertown.  This is a very strong young coach with experience at Millbrook in Raleigh as well as 1A experience at Starmount.  He's done a good job at Walkertown but its only human nature to think an up and comer like him wouldn't be eying a 4A team, especially one in his own county. 

I've even had a good friend of mine who is a very strong head coach / AD in Georgia who's inquired about the job, you can bet that the administration will have some great resumes to look over. 

#11 Livstrng

Livstrng

Established Member

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

I will throw these few names out there like I have on other coaching threads.  If they are looking to go after a Head Coach they should make a run at Josh McGee.  Give McGee those athletes at Tabor in his system and they will be right there with East and West as the best teams in the County.  If Tabor is going to make a run at Coordinators there are a couple in the area that I don't understand why nobody is talking about.  

Kevin Wallace Offensive Coordinator at Glenn HS 

Wallace was the OC at Greensboro College and in my opinion he is the reason Glenn is back in contention for Conference Championships.  Glenn's D has been horrible but their offense has been one of the most explosive in the Triad area.  Coach Wallace is a great offensive mind.

Aaron Beal Defensive Coordinator at East Forsyth HS  

Coach Beal was a Coordinator at NW Guilford for a couple years under Joe Woodruff and was a part of a few conference titles with Coach Woodruff at NW.  When Woodruff left NW they have really taken a step backwards.  Coach Beal left NW and took the DC job under Todd Willert at East Forsyth.  In his 2 years at East their Defense has been one of the top in the State and top in the area.    

#12 CPCGuy123

CPCGuy123

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

Big Fan of Kevin Wallace to Tabor

Offensive Mind that has done a great job at Glenn. With the every changing rosters in WSFC schools Wallace's system has proven to be successful. Give him a solid defensive coordinator and he could create a special program.

Also like the Idea of J Mcgee to Tabor

Josh knows how to win, given the talent level at Tabor year in and year out Mcgee could build a powerhouse. It seems like the talent level has reached its peak at Reagan

#13 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,480 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

I agree as well about Wallace or Beal, or Coach Tiesuean Brown who's the interim coach on staff.

#14 SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

And there are probably a ton of other coaches that would be good fits at Mount Tabor that I didn't mention above. 

Coaches like...

Tripp Stone; Mallard Creek defensive coordinator, he's a Forsyth County guy and knows the system very well and already has close ties with all the Pop Warner coaches.  Kids would flock to play for him, no question about it. 

Mike Springston; former Walkertown head coach, he has been an assistant at Mount Tabor and his offensive acumen is second to none.  

Mike Byus; former East Lincoln head coach, he's very close friends with Springston, he plays golf in Winston-Salem nearly every week and is very close to this area.  I could see him as a great fit. 

Josh McGee; head coach at Reagan.  While I really don't see him leaving what he's built at Reagan, you'd bee a fool not to think he would be a stellar coach at Tabor or anywhere in Forsyth County. 

Josh Pardue; head coach at Walkertown.  This is a very strong young coach with experience at Millbrook in Raleigh as well as 1A experience at Starmount.  He's done a good job at Walkertown but its only human nature to think an up and comer like him wouldn't be eying a 4A team, especially one in his own county. 

I've even had a good friend of mine who is a very strong head coach / AD in Georgia who's inquired about the job, you can bet that the administration will have some great resumes to look over. 

Now that is a good list. And you are correct, Gil hasn't had a fair shake and never will with the athletes that North gets, but you have to have a certain dynamic to not only win but deal with people at Tabor. Springston could do wonders there, Byus with what he did at East lincoln would be great and so would Tripp as a first timer. 

#15 FB-Trap

FB-Trap

JV Team

• Coach
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Big Fan of Kevin Wallace to Tabor

Offensive Mind that has done a great job at Glenn. With the every changing rosters in WSFC schools Wallace's system has proven to be successful. Give him a solid defensive coordinator and he could create a special program.

Also like the Idea of J Mcgee to Tabor

Josh knows how to win, given the talent level at Tabor year in and year out Mcgee could build a powerhouse. It seems like the talent level has reached its peak at Reagan

How old is Wallace, like 33?  Not sure at his age and experience in the high school game that he's ready for MT.  I know he was at college but only been in HS for about 2 years.  

If I'm McGee, not sure I would leave Reagan for MT.  

Samek is a good choice, he fits the MT mold very well. 

One young guy I like a ton that I would maybe look at would be Jared Rofles at NW Guilford, he would be a huge upgrade. 

#16 Livstrng

Livstrng

Established Member

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

How old is Wallace, like 33?  Not sure at his age and experience in the high school game that he's ready for MT.  I know he was at college but only been in HS for about 2 years.  

If I'm McGee, not sure I would leave Reagan for MT.  

Samek is a good choice, he fits the MT mold very well. 

One young guy I like a ton that I would maybe look at would be Jared Rofles at NW Guilford, he would be a huge upgrade. 

Sorry I disagree with you FB-Trap.  Coach Rolfes took over a NW team that was in the top 10 in the 4AA in 2013 went to the 3rd rd of the State 4AA playoffs after beating Page and Richmond County and the following year they were returning most all of their starters.  I know teams can struggle with change but since Woodruff left and Rolfes took over NW has only won 1 playoff game ( that was when they went East in the 4AA) in 3 years and has had more talent on his rosters than any NW Guilford teams in school history.  NW also has not only lost they have been blown out in quite a few games against top teams.

I still think if you're going with a HC you go with a proven HC like McGee.  McGee took over an awful Reagan team and took them to one of the top teams in the County. He has proven he is a winner and can compete for and win Conference Championships with in my mind less talented teams. Rolfes took over a team that was on the way up and since then they have been stuck at 7-8 wins and getting beat in the 1st rd of the playoffs.  

Now If you want to go after a Coordinators I do like Stone from Mallard Creek.  He has coached on the biggest stage (state titles) and won with MC. Like I said before I'm a huge fan of Coach Wallace's offense at Glenn.  I also really like Coach Beal at East Forsyth.  I know he coached under Coach Woodruff at NW for several years was apart of the rebuild at NW and they won 3 or 4 Conference titles beating teams like East Forsyth and Ragsdale (back when Ragsdale was a top team in the area).  When Rolfes was hired Coach Beal was fired by Coach Rolfes because he brought in his own defensive coordinator.  Since Coach Beal arrived at East the defense has been lights out and they really put a few beat downs on NW Guilford.  They are also 2-0 against crosstown rival Glenn and 3-0 against cross county rival West Forsyth.  Someone at East does a good job keeping their stats up to date.  Looking at Maxpreps and East Forsyths defensive stats they have put up some pretty good numbers the last couple years with Coach Beal.  

2015 - 41 Sacks, 21 Ints, 10 Fum Recoveries, 8 Games of 7 points or less.

2016 - 40 Sacks, 20 Ints, 12 Fum Recoveries, 5 Games of 7 points or less.

I know coach Wallace at Glenn maybe a young coach but so is McGee, Stone, Beal, and Rolfes.  None of them are over 40 I dont think.

#17 Chopper42

Chopper42

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

Miles Aldridge from Hough.  I have seen him up in Winston-Salem several times at D-1 with his grandson.

#18 Ladge

Ladge

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:07 PM

Any chance for the interim Coach Brown?  Who happens to be the brother of recently hired North Mecklenburg Coach Morman.

#19 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,519 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:12 AM

Miles Aldridge from Hough. I have seen him up in Winston-Salem several times at D-1 with his grandson.

Heard his name, also. He is near seventy and owns a home in the Lake Norman area. Why would he make this move?

#20 cltfootball

cltfootball

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

Miles is a very interesting name floating around. Hell of a Coach, has a loaded paper roster for next year at Hough though.  He does spend lots of time up in the WS area with his Grandson... I do believe he sold his Lake Norman area home a year or so ago.  He could make the move to be closer with his family, but I could also see him staying right at Hough.

#21 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:35 PM

Why would he leave Hough? With the huge growth the talent pool at Hough got... don't see leaving that for Tabor as being a good move.

But if somehow that happened, I can't imagine the list of names Hough would have to sort through to fill that (potential) opening

#22 fb1fan

fb1fan

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:42 PM

Any word on who has put in for this job?  I question why the administration is leaving this job open for so long.  Surely they had a stack of resumes from some great coaches in just the first week of the opening.  I would think the staff and players need a leader in place asap as spring practice is coming up quick. 

#23 ram4life

ram4life

JV Team

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

I believe that there are a few schools that have been hit hard by the open enrollment that forsyth county has. North, carver, Parkland to name a few. North has already lost to some big names to other schools in the area and there conference doesn't get any easier this year. Parkland lost a lot due to graduation but still have some athletes. Carver also has lost some athletes to schools around the county.  it seems in Forsyth county with the open enrollment that the rich keep getting richer. 

#24 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,480 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

I believe that there are a few schools that have been hit hard by the open enrollment that forsyth county has. North, carver, Parkland to name a few. North has already lost to some big names to other schools in the area and there conference doesn't get any easier this year. Parkland lost a lot due to graduation but still have some athletes. Carver also has lost some athletes to schools around the county.  it seems in Forsyth county with the open enrollment that the rich keep getting richer. 

Right now the top teams in Forsyth County are East, West, Tabor, and Reagan.  

If there was no open enrollment and students had to go to their home schools, the top teams in Forsyth would be....

1. Parkland

2. Reynolds

3. Tabor

4. Carver

5. North Forsyth 

#25 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

Right now the top teams in Forsyth County are East, West, Tabor, and Reagan.

If there was no open enrollment and students had to go to their home schools, the top teams in Forsyth would be....

1. Parkland
2. Reynolds
3. Tabor
4. Carver
5. North Forsyth

Do you think there'll ever come a day when open enrollment in WSFCS is abolished?

JeffChapman-Dynamic