Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Hickory names football coach

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

Hickory has had problems coming up with a line on both sides. Had a number of defectors over three years from big kids. Hope they can get some trench guys to buy in. What offensive could we possibly see in 2017?

#27 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,204 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

A spread veer/triple with a lot of run/pass option. Defense will be a VT style Attack with a lot of slant and angles and blitzing.

#28 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

A spread veer/triple with a lot of run/pass option. Defense will be a VT style Attack with a lot of slant and angles and blitzing.

Nice. I like the veer. Allows the back to see the gaps.

#29 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

Reviving this thread. Hickory paper says the OC has taken a job for a college in Ohio. He is/was Justin Harper who coached at Lenoir-Rhyne, played at Virginia Tech, and then the Baltimore Ravens. Good luck to Justin. Coach Stone will be doing the play calling and praised Harper for his work this summer.

With 90 kids, up from 58 last year it surely will be a better team. They will start the season with some tough opponents but it looks like Hickory will have to be taken serious in the regular season. No more putting the game in the win column before the pads are put on. I'll stop by practice in the next couple days and see the Tornadoes.

Cheerduck. What's the base offense going to be? How is the offensive and defensive line?

#30 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,204 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

To be honest, Harper was the OC in title only, Stone always calls the plays.

#31 CHEERDUCK

CHEERDUCK

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

There are some big kids back on the sidelines and as far as the offense, the ball may never touch the ground. The practices I've seen so far are quick and the kids are quickly picking up what the coaches are teaching. There are some quality skill players on this year's squad. I feel Coach Stone will put those skills to work for the  "team".

It's not where you start, but where you finish!

JeffChapman-Dynamic