Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Third round scores

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Hi guys I have a two part questions how good are the Freedom girls and boys? I know that both the boys and girls have A very good record, matchup wise in the upcoming girls game matchup Wise is Freedom the much better team? And in the boys game again taking away the team record is Freedom a much better team then Robinson? What is Freedom girls and boys straight and weakness? Now does also anyone know how good Hickory is team? I know that they have a very good record but I am trying to figure what are they good at? Thanks in advance

I think both our boys and girls teams are very good, but I think "much better team" is an overstatement.  Right now both teams have some common opponents; the Lady Patriots played Cox Mill in the first round of the playoffs and the Patriots played Concord in the same round.  Both won by bigger margins against those teams than either C. Cabarrus or J.M. Robinson did through the season, though those teams were both 3-0 against those common opponents.  I talked about the strengths and weaknesses of the Patriots and Lady Patriots in the "playoff team analysis" thread and I think what I said there still stands.

As for Hickory, they are deep, fast and shoot the three ball well.  They are well-coached and Coach Poplin knows how to game plan for an opponent's strengths and weaknesses.  I am very curious to see how they do against an obviously excellent Cox Mill  team.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#52 HHS2003

HHS2003

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

Grass isn't always greener but still Sage had an outstanding high school career.

#53 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,313 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

Grass isn't always greener but still Sage had an outstanding high school career.

Great career! Spectacular! With the way things played out I think he would have had more team success if he stayed at EL.

#54 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

I think both our boys and girls teams are very good, but I think "much better team" is an overstatement. Right now both teams have some common opponents; the Lady Patriots played Cox Mill in the first round of the playoffs and the Patriots played Concord in the same round. Both won by bigger margins against those teams than either C. Cabarrus or J.M. Robinson did through the season, though those teams were both 3-0 against those common opponents. I talked about the strengths and weaknesses of the Patriots and Lady Patriots in the "playoff team analysis" thread and I think what I said there still stands.

As for Hickory, they are deep, fast and shoot the three ball well. They are well-coached and Coach Poplin knows how to game plan for an opponent's strengths and weaknesses. I am very curious to see how they do against an obviously excellent Cox Mill team.

Thanks for the information, as far Cox Mill hosting Hickory the game could go either both teams are deep and can shoot the three ball. I do give Cox Mill the slight advantage due to Wendell Moore Jr, as well playing at home. Also as good as Wendell Moore Jr and he is special player, Francis Sio he is the Cox Mill X factor. Last Night King Mountain did a good job of doubling Wendell Moore they kept him in check limiting him only to 5 points instead of forcing it Wendell Moore and his teammates pass the ball to Francis Sio who was unstoppable from the 3 point line. Sio finished the first half with 13 point he made 4 out 6 three point shot attempt. As far the Central Cabarrus girls and Robinson boys I will need to do a bit more research before offering my take on both of these games.

#55 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:51 AM

FHS1985 I would like to thank you for writing I the other thread the preview for the Freedom boys and girls team. As far as the Freedom girls game the game will come down to can Freedom stop Mehale Holt, and can someone else be Kasey Rowden and or Elanna Peay, step up and put huge numbers. To me this game could go either Freedom playing at home will help them but Central.Cabarrus he been used to be playing on the road. As far the boys game with Freedom does not have true big man upfront I do believe that smell like a big problem for Freedom. Robinson has size advantage with a 6'7 starting C Look for Freedom to maybe even double team the Robinson whenever he has the ball closer to the basket but doing so will leave a Robinson shooter open. The key from a Robinson point of view is which three points shooting team will Robinson team show up? Will it the Robinson team who struggled from The three point line against Hickory Ridge in the SPC tournament. Or will it be the Robinson team who shoot high % from the three points line the 2nd and 3rd round of the playoff. I will say this Freedom playing at home will help them but with the Central Cabarrus fans also showing up along with the Robinson fans this might not really feel like a road game for Robinson. Freedom is a very good team and Robinson better show up from the get go otherwise they will be in a lot of trouble. I think heading to the game Robinson is 6 points favorite.

#56 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:39 AM

FHS1985 I would like to thank you for writing I the other thread the preview for the Freedom boys and girls team. As far as the Freedom girls game the game will come down to can Freedom stop Mehale Holt, and can someone else be Kasey Rowden and or Elanna Peay, step up and put huge numbers. To me this game could go either Freedom playing at home will help them but Central.Cabarrus he been used to be playing on the road. As far the boys game with Freedom does not have true big man upfront I do believe that smell like a big problem for Freedom. Robinson has size advantage with a 6'7 starting C Look for Freedom to maybe even double team the Robinson whenever he has the ball closer to the basket but doing so will leave a Robinson shooter open. The key from a Robinson point of view is which three points shooting team will Robinson team show up? Will it the Robinson team who struggled from The three point line against Hickory Ridge in the SPC tournament. Or will it be the Robinson team who shoot high % from the three points line the 2nd and 3rd round of the playoff. I will say this Freedom playing at home will help them but with the Central Cabarrus fans also showing up along with the Robinson fans this might not really feel like a road game for Robinson. Freedom is a very good team and Robinson better show up from the get go otherwise they will be in a lot of trouble. I think heading to the game Robinson is 6 points favorite.

In the girls game Hollit will be guarded by either returning all-state guard and ECU signee Ariyana Williams (MVP of the 3A title game last year) or all district and UNCA signee Amaryah Corpening, so we'll see how Hollit does against either of those girls.  Freedom is not as strong in the post as they were last year, but Sophomore CC Davenport has really stepped up this season and plays excellent post defense and rebounds very well.  Madison Bailey and Blakely Crooks both shoot the three ball well and both have improved greatly as the season has progressed.

In the boys game I am very concerned about Batts, who is explosive and who has great floor awareness.  The big kid will likely be guarded by Tobias Kanipe who is only 6'2, but very strong and who knows how to use his body to establish position, still South Point got a lot of points in the paint and coach Casey Rogers will have to work out how best to deal with the height disadvantage in his game plan.  Offensively Freedom has three sharpshooters who can hoist it from three.  Fletcher Abee is the best pure shooter of the bunch, but Jakari Dula also shoots the ball well and is better at creating his own shot.  Alex Linebarger will hoist it from anywhere inside of 30 feet and will surprise you with his range.  Senior Niguel Moore runs the show at point guard and may draw Batts (though I think he will get a lot of double teams).  Saturday night all five starters were in double figures and I was pleased with their balance.  Cam Edmonston will spell Kanipe in the post and we get quality minutes from Michael Logan, Michael Ervin and Kelvis Dula, especially on defense.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#57 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

FHS1985 I myself Shaked Bar-Tal will be broadcasting the game the Cox Mill game against Hickory. If by chance you are able tell me who are the Hickory staters as well who are the Hickory key players to watch out for that will Go a long way thanks in advance.

#58 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:34 PM

FHS1985 I myself Shaked Bar-Tal will be broadcasting the game the Cox Mill game against Hickory. If by chance you are able tell me who are the Hickory staters as well who are the Hickory key players to watch out for that will Go a long way thanks in advance.

I actually stumbled across your twitter the other night looking for scores. I would be lying if I said I knew any Hickory starter except for Macio Byrd. I know that Kaleb Hewitt, Torrey James and Cody Young were all mentioned in a Daily Record story about the Fred T. Foard game. They played JM Robinson in the regional final last year, so some of the same kids are probably back.

― C.S. Lewis

#59 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

I actually stumbled across your twitter the other night looking for scores. I would be lying if I said I knew any Hickory starter except for Macio Byrd. I know that Kaleb Hewitt, Torrey James and Cody Young were all mentioned in a Daily Record story about the Fred T. Foard game. They played JM Robinson in the regional final last year, so some of the same kids are probably back.

That was a great game last year I fully except this to be a epic game that will come down to the possession. Hopefully I will be able to say during the post game show Cabarrus county we will have a Cabarrus County final four on this coming Saturday.

JeffChapman-Dynamic