Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Third Round Marquee Matchups

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

As we reach the 3rd round of the playoffs there should be a lot of competitive match-ups in all classification but these particular games catch my eye

1A

Charter and prep schools are unfortunately dominating once again... some public schools have a chance to make noise too such as-

Bishop McGuiness @ Avery County- Avery has a good chance of advancing to the 4th round but must first get by the villains of Bishop McGuiness. The villains have struggled some in the regular season with 11 losses but seem to be peaking at the right time. Avery will have home court advantage all the way to regionals if they keep winning. Winston Salem Prep may be waiting however and they have beaten some of the top 4A teams in the state..

2A

Owen @ Forest Hills- Owen has been impressive thus far in the playoffs knocking off West Caldwell. They hit the road for round 3 for a long trip to the other side of Charlotte to play Forest Hills. Owen should have a chance to pull of the upset, Forest Hills barely slipped past Salisbury and hasn't played as well the last few weeks

North Surry @ Lincolnton- Both these teams have had great regular seasons. This should be one heck of a game with Sage Surratt leading the wolves against Mason Hawks and North Surry. I give Lincolnton the slight edge being at home 

Kinston @ Greene Central- Greene Central has rolled so far in the first 2 rounds but will face a much tougher test vs an athletic Kinston squad

3A

Robinson @ Weddington- Robsinson has looked impressive thus far in the playoffs and no one has been able to stop big man Lavar Batts. Even though Robinson is the road team I expect them to win this one

Kings Mtn @ Cox Mill- This is the most intriguing match-up in round 3 in my opinion. Kings Mountain has the tools to upset Cox Mill but it will be very tough to do on the road. The winner of this one will be the likely favorite to reach final 4

4A

North Meck @ West Forsyth- This should be a spectacular matchup between powerhouses. 

Seventy First @ Heritage- The east number 1 seed Heritage should have a battle with 8th seeded 71st. Jayden Gardner has been a beast for Heritage down low and Seventy First must try to slow him down to pull of the upset. 

#2 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

The Robinson vs Weddington game features two schools that are as closely matched as possible. They are ranked 6th and 7th in 3A and 56th and 57th (IIRC) in N.C. according to Maxpreps. Both have D1 players in Batts and Schweiger, so I'm looking for a close fought contest.

Also, I think the E. Burke/Monroe game in 2A girls should be a battle.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#3 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

In that Lincolnton game I heard on the radio last night that Sage Surratt was closing in on 3,000 career points. I hope that he tries to walk on and play basketball at Wake.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#4 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

Also the Cherokee versus Murphy girls game should be one to watch. I think the Bulldogs won once, but the Lady Braves beat them twice in the regular season.

― C.S. Lewis

#5 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

Girls- Central Cabarrus at North Iredell should be very interesting

#6 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

Eastern Alamance at Eastern Guilford      (Round 4.  EG has won last two meetings.)

North Meck at West Forsyth        (Should be a good one.  What's interesting is that both teams have sons of former NBA players.  Cooper and Maverick LaRue for West,  Tristian Maxwell  (son of former Houston Rockets guard Vernon Maxwell) for North.  Also, Jaelyn Withers (North Meck) is the son of former UNCC standout Curtis Withers.)

Mount Tabor at Hoke County     (Should be a nice big-man battle between Nick Evtimov and Silas Love)

Triton at Orange                 (Triton just stopped a red-hot Asheboro team cold in its tracks.  Now they have to try to stop one of the best players in the state of NC (Connor Crabtree) and the rest of the Panthers.)

East Carteret at Kestrel Heights       (1A stalwart vs. Johnny come lately.  East smashed a good, good Voyager squad yesterday.)

North Surry at Lincolnton       (Potentially awesome match-up between Sage Surratt and Carter Phillips.)

#7 Darkhorse2007

Darkhorse2007

Established Member

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

Girls side Clinton 26-2(14-0) vs SW Edgecombe 20-4(8-2) should be a good one

Clinton Dark Horses
State Champs 90,96,97,2001,2005
Eastern Champs 76,90,95,96,97,2001,2002,2005,2006,2014

#8 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

Girls

West Forsyth at RJ Reynolds          (Round 4.  RJR has won last two.)

Rockingham County at Orange        (Perennial power vs. New kid on the block.  Orange has only lost once (Northwood).  Two of Rock's three losses were to Northern Guilford.  Each team has two very good players.  Madeline Hardy for Rock, Kayla Campbell for Orange.  I think this will be Orange's toughest test to date.)

Ashbrook at Ledford       (I was impressed with how Ledford handled Forestview.  Ashbrook's a little tougher though....)

East Duplin at Bartlett Yancey       (No, that's not a misprint.  It says "Bartlett Yancey".  What a year those girls are having.  This program has been bloody awful for the past decade.  They've come a long, long way.  Can they continue on.....)

Murphy at Cherokee

Atkins at Mount Airy              (Atkins recently got one of their better players back.)

JeffChapman-Dynamic