Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Toughest conference in 2017

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

First off, have really enjoyed the discussion and have admired you and Wrigley's contributions over the years. Have been a follower for years but until recently didnt think it was wise to join in because of the position i held.

The ACC/SEC  comparison is used to highlight how a perception of toughest can be misleading. Most people who follow college football would think that the SEC is the toughest conference in football because of the recent history, the draft prospects, and the recruiting. I know I did and many analyst were right there in the boat with me. But the head to head vs a perceived weaker conference (ACC) shows other wise. I am merely trying to point out that the metric of recent glories, college recruits and prospects shouldn't be the only ones used in determining the toughest conference. Based off of this formula for determining the toughest then the match up between Scotland (sandhills best) vs Mallard Creek (meck best) should be a lopsided victory for Mallard Creek correct? Mallard Creek has way more college players, prospects, and championships than Scotland so they must be a lot better right?

Again i am not trying to ruffle feathers, just enjoying the debate. At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thank you both for being rational and analytical.

I don't recall anyone using Mallard Creek's college recruits or prospects as a scale or formula on how tough the conference is. My opinion is based on how the teams would match up outside of the conference. I would imagine  Sandhills have some very competitive games within the conference. I just don't see them as a big threat outside the conference from top to bottom. Definitely not in the toughest conference in the State conversation. 

Scotland has 75% of their starters returning with the #1 RB in the nation from a 14-1 team. You do the Math. MC has 4 starters returning. Why would they be a lot better?  :)

#27 704cougarsdad

704cougarsdad

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

I always say u can't beat a great team at their game. So that's y I say that creek will win. The games creek lost last year is by a team that aired the ball out or at least tried 2 throw (us, butler, So. Point). And being that u have a new qb, not saying that he can't pass but I think inexperience is a given with him. I can't beat creek at their own game.

#28 Greengold4ever

Greengold4ever

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

"The I meck is currently formatted since 2013 you have 3 state titles and 6 regional final appearances among the top 4 teams."

"Gotta be upwards of 25-30 Divison 1 BCS level kids off just those 3 teams since 2013.  Clemson, Oklahoma, Florida State, UNC, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, East Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Kansas State, LSU, UCLA, Tennesee.  "

"Scouts to 60 football players over the last 4 years

I-Meck- 25 players

Sandhills- 4 players"

Last 5 years in playoffs Sandhills teams are 12-7 vs Raleigh teams. 

#29 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

First off, have really enjoyed the discussion and have admired you and Wrigley's contributions over the years. Have been a follower for years but until recently didnt think it was wise to join in because of the position i held.

The ACC/SEC  comparison is used to highlight how a perception of toughest can be misleading. Most people who follow college football would think that the SEC is the toughest conference in football because of the recent history, the draft prospects, and the recruiting. I know I did and many analyst were right there in the boat with me. But the head to head vs a perceived weaker conference (ACC) shows other wise. I am merely trying to point out that the metric of recent glories, college recruits and prospects shouldn't be the only ones used in determining the toughest conference. Based off of this formula for determining the toughest then the match up between Scotland (sandhills best) vs Mallard Creek (meck best) should be a lopsided victory for Mallard Creek correct? Mallard Creek has way more college players, prospects, and championships than Scotland so they must be a lot better right?

Again i am not trying to ruffle feathers, just enjoying the debate. At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thank you both for being rational and analytical.

First off you are making an assumption Mallard Creek is the the best. Not ready to make that assumption. Mallard Creek hasnt won a conference title since 2014.  As far as the MC- Scotland game I cant give you much clue as I dont even know what the MC roster will look like. Check back with me in July. Scotland has 4 or 5 guys who will play next level including the best back in the country and they will be at home. Certainly not lacking talent.

If you want to give me a metric that shows that The sandhills is the toughest conf in the state I am happy to evaluate it but other than they play each other tough and lots of people show up I havent seen anything yet  

#30 Greengold4ever

Greengold4ever

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Each conference in the state has good and bad teams in them, very hard to determine who is weak and who is not when it comes to the bottom and middle of the pack teams. Only true comparison would be head to head which unfortunately rarely happens and even that is skewed. In that regard, only head to head is Richmond vs. Lake Norman which certainly doesn't equate to one conference tougher than the other. Styles play a large roll in who people perceive as tough also. Are you a tough conference because of teams spreading it out and throwing it everywhere or is it the ones who line up and smash each other for 3 yards and a cloud of dust? 

Are you tough because of the matchup problems or because your kids are physical? Up to each individuals perspective.

Have enjoyed the debate but think this one has run its course.

Good question, great topic and enjoyable debate that is what makes this site the superior site in regards to forums.

JeffChapman-Dynamic