Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Toughest conference in 2017

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:38 PM

What conference do you guys think will be the toughest top to bottom in 2017

#2 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:07 AM

Imeck is on this list

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#3 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:16 AM

Imeck is on this list

Definitely a top 5. Top heavy for sure... huge gap (IMO) from the top 3 to the rest.

#4 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

Imecka....not even close 4 top 25 teams. 6 quality teams

#5 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

Who do you see as the 4th top 25 team? The top 3 are the obvious (MC Vance Hough)

#6 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

LKN

#7 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

LKN

They lost a ton but With Coach McNeely anything is possible with him as the HC so but they have find a New QB but they have a good RB core n they lost some on defense so Their are holes to fill in if LKN wants to finish high in conference!

BUT LKN has defeated NM, Hough , Hopewell this past season so They have a slight uphand on knowing how beat teams. LKN coaching is above par n They get the job done when needed like ex: If lkn has more time vs Mallard Creek I think lkn would of beaten MC hands down bc MC didn't have a awnser for Josh Ladowski!!! Lake Norman may finish Top 5 in the conference (Due to bottom half being So/So) but idk if they are top 25 in state bc this yr I would expected a rebuilding process!

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#8 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

LKN

Gotcha. I'm done picking against McNeely at LKN so it wouldn't shock me if they did well again lol

#9 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:39 PM

They lost a ton but With Coach McNeely anything is possible with him as the HC so but they have find a New QB but they have a good RB core n they lost some on defense so Their are holes to fill in if LKN wants to finish high in conference!

BUT LKN has defeated NM, Hough , Hopewell this past season so They have a slight uphand on knowing how beat teams. LKN coaching is above par n They get the job done when needed like ex: If lkn has more time vs Mallard Creek I think lkn would of beaten MC hands down bc MC didn't have a awnser for Josh Ladowski!!! Lake Norman may finish Top 5 in the conference (Due to bottom half being So/So) but idk if they are top 25 in state bc this yr I would expected a rebuilding process!

LKN will be preseaon top 25. Good system, very good coaching, alot of country boy size up front and usually a handful of decent athletes.

As far as the 2014 Regional final dont kid yourself....game was 41-14 after first drive of 2nd half and Palmieri called of dogs. Went into a soft zone and Johnny football got a little rythm. Ladowski wasnt even the best player on the field that night. Check the stats and the 3 rings

#10 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

They could have played 4 more quarters and that was not going to happen. Palmieri definitely took his foot off the gas. If the Creek goes full throttle on defense. Lawdoski does not last the entire game.  

#11 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

The only mistake MC made that night was letting JL to get into his comfort zone. Once that happened MC still had a tough time stopping him.. even when they turned the pressure back up again. That being said LKN wasn't stopping anything MC did offensively that night- the Maverick offense totally out classed the LKN defense

#12 justdoit2

justdoit2

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

I think the toughest conference will be the Sandhills.

Seventy First

Scotland

Richmond

Pinecrest

Hoke County

Jack Britt

Lumberton

Purnell Swett

#13 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

Seventy First

Scotland

Richmond

Pinecrest

Hoke County

Jack Britt

Lumberton

Purnell Swett

I like the top half of that conference a lot, but the bottom half is really, really bad. I guess my vote goes to the IMeck, since Mallard Creek sits at the top and even the last place team could beat 80% of the rest of the state. Top to bottom, that's a hard conference to vote against. It reminds me of the SW4A (4 top 10 teams at the same time, including #1 and #2) and the Mid-South (4 state champs from one conference...will never be duplicated) conferences back in the late 2000s.

#14 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

I think the top (4) of the Imeck is better than the top 4 of the Sandhills.... but I do think the bottom 4 of the Sandhills might be better than the bottom 4 of the Imeck. Overall I don't think there is a lot separating them though

#15 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

Seventy First

Scotland

Richmond

Pinecrest

Hoke County

Jack Britt

Lumberton

Purnell Swett

Seriously??? I like a good football debate as much as the next guy but this isnt even close. I am not even sure who the the 4th best team is in this conf. As The I meck is currently formatted since 2013 you have 3 state titles and 6 regional final appearances among the top 4 teams.

This group has zero titles and one regional final in that same time frame. The 2nd best team in this conf has been past the 2nd round once since 2013. Lets be honest....Wake county has largely surpassed this area with regards to football in the East. They have the wins to prove it. Even Scotland which is far and away the top dog in this conf has lost to football powerhouses Hoggard, Cape Fear and North Davidson the last 3 years in the playoffs.

Dont want to take playoff performance???   I'll take Mallard creek , Hough and Vance players over the last 4 years and I could put together one hell of a college football team. Gotta be upwards of 25-30 Divison 1 BCS level kids off just those 3 teams since 2013.  Clemson, Oklahoma, Florida State, UNC, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, East Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Kansas State, LSU, UCLA, Tennesee.  

Like I said...Not close 

#16 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

@Wrigley: R u going to be at the Mallard Creek at Scotland game then?

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#17 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

@Wrigley: R u going to be at the Mallard Creek at Scotland game then?

It would take a pretty crazy event to make me miss it. You dont get to see the best back in America up close very often. Not to mention getting the chance to walk the sacred ground of Pate.

#18 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:16 PM

Seventy First

Scotland

Richmond

Pinecrest

Hoke County

Jack Britt

Lumberton

Purnell Swett

Come on Man! 

The best team in the conference Scotland chokes during the playoffs every Year from some Team that has less talent.

They have everyone coming back this year without Dudley and CC now out of  the conference no excuses.

Richmond has been on coaching carousel forever. They will find out real soon, It takes more than just coaching. 

Jack Britt was 3-8 last year. Seventy First does not have the depth or the players. Pinecrest has a nice weight room.

The rest can be beat by any team in the State. Sandhills is not even in the ballpark.

#19 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

It would take a pretty crazy event to make me miss it. You dont get to see the best back in America up close very often. Not to mention getting the chance to walk the sacred ground of Pate.

I'll take as a yes, I may be in attendance but I I'll say Pate Stadium is something else it's a very awesome atmosphere and great place to watch some Hard hitting football

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#20 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:34 PM

I have been to Pate twice. I love everything about the atmosphere at all those schools. Scotland, Richmond, Pinecrest all great experiences. Much prefer it to CMS.

#21 Greengold4ever

Greengold4ever

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

Not trying to ruffle feathers but I think starting to get off topic a bit. No one can argue the success and talent the top teams in the IMeck have recently had but that is not the point. The question was which conference do you feel is best from top to bottom. Saying the new Sandhills conference is not even close or shouldn't be in the conversation is like saying the SEC sucks as a college football conference because Alabama got beat by Clemson. Top to bottom we know this is not true, the SEC may not be the best but it is certainly in the mix the same i can believe be said for the Sandhills. It is a meat grinder of a conference anyone who has ever watched games in this area can tell you records can be a bit deceiving when it comes to physicality and bad blood between some of the schools. I guarantee you watching Purnell Swett play Lumberton on a Friday night because of the two communities beats the heck out of sitting thru North Meck vs. Hopewell. Guess it all boils down to each's perspective on "best" D1 recruits, trophies and recent history vs entertainment, rivalries, history. I think there is quality in both leagues in fact i know there is i have witnessed it up close and personal.

#22 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

Not trying to ruffle feathers but I think starting to get off topic a bit. No one can argue the success and talent the top teams in the IMeck have recently had but that is not the point. The question was which conference do you feel is best from top to bottom. Saying the new Sandhills conference is not even close or shouldn't be in the conversation is like saying the SEC sucks as a college football conference because Alabama got beat by Clemson. Top to bottom we know this is not true, the SEC may not be the best but it is certainly in the mix the same i can believe be said for the Sandhills. It is a meat grinder of a conference anyone who has ever watched games in this area can tell you records can be a bit deceiving when it comes to physicality and bad blood between some of the schools. I guarantee you watching Purnell Swett play Lumberton on a Friday night because of the two communities beats the heck out of sitting thru North Meck vs. Hopewell. Guess it all boils down to each's perspective on "best" D1 recruits, trophies and recent history vs entertainment, rivalries, history. I think there is quality in both leagues in fact i know there is i have witnessed it up close and personal.

Justdoit posted that The Sandhills is the toughest conference. If you want to debate the merits of 3-8 Jack Britt versus 3-8 West Charlotte go ahead and knock yourself out.  Setting aside entertainment value the "  toughest " argument is actually pretty easy to make and again....Its not close. 

One conference is winning state titles and sending teams to regional finals every year.....the other isnt. One is littered with top notch talent and draws national recruiting attention every year......the other doesnt.

Scouts to 60 football players over the last 4 years

I-Meck- 25 players

Sandhills- 4 players

Do the folks in Hoke county come out in the thousands to watch 2-8 Bucks....I will take your word for it. Doesnt make it a tough. 

#23 Greengold4ever

Greengold4ever

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

Again are we thumping our chest and bragging about numbers or are we talking about high school kids playing tough, hard nosed high school football? Again I go to the college SEC analogy, Alabama and LSU have national championships, conference championships, 5 star players and draft picks yet the ACC won 10 of the 14 times these 2 conferences squared off last year. However, 2 championships in the last 17 years by ACC schools compared to 9 by the SEC. So which is the toughest conference? Am i saying that the Sandhills region could win like the ACC did against IMO the best conference in college football ....NO. But i do think that the Sandhills should not be so easily dismissed. 

Funny thing is i agree with you that the Meck is the best right now, I just can't overlook the Sandhills as easily as you and others.

#24 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

Again are we thumping our chest and bragging about numbers or are we talking about high school kids playing tough, hard nosed high school football? Again I go to the college SEC analogy, Alabama and LSU have national championships, conference championships, 5 star players and draft picks yet the ACC won 10 of the 14 times these 2 conferences squared off last year. However, 2 championships in the last 17 years by ACC schools compared to 9 by the SEC. So which is the toughest conference? Am i saying that the Sandhills region could win like the ACC did against IMO the best conference in college football ....NO. But i do think that the Sandhills should not be so easily dismissed. 

Funny thing is i agree with you that the Meck is the best right now, I just can't overlook the Sandhills as easily as you and others.

Didnt overlook and havent thumped anything. You can use any metric you like.......its not close.  That doesnt mean the Sandhills isnt a lovely conference. Its just not the toughest. Frankly its down a ton. Go back 5 -6 years and Jack Britt was competing for state titles and Richmond was very formidable. Now teams like Garner and Millbrook are beating Richmond and Jack Britt is a dumpster fire.

2008-2012 you probably could have made a very strong arguement that Britt, Scotland,Richmond, 71st was the toughest run. 3 titles in that group, several regional finals.    Not anymore. 

#25 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

You lost me, What does the ACC winning 10 out of 14 games against the SEC have to do with making the Sandhills a tough conference?  Your analogy of the SEC vs ACC proves more, that you have no legitimate reason to mention Sandhills. Other than, you go to the games and they play each other tough!  

JeffChapman-Dynamic