Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

2nd round games you are watching

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:37 AM

Obviously I am interested in both Freedom games and I also have talked a little about McDowell and Mt. Tabor, but I think a thread about what other games we are watching would be interesting. So, I will be looking at the following tomorrow:

W. Rowan at Cox Mill MBB
Erwin at N. Henderson MBB
Hickory at N. Iredell WBB

What about everybody else?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#2 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:18 PM

Richmond @ Butler MBB This will be an interesting matchup for state title favorite Butler

West Caldwell @ Owen MBB Owen has had a good season.. can they keep it going vs an athletic warriors squad?

#3 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

Tough second round for my lady Raiders.  But some one wise once said in order to be the best you have to beat the best.   ;)   

#4 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

Hickory and N. Iredell common opponent-Statesville

Hickory won 75-35 and 57-37 and N. Iredell won 57-33, 53-39 and 56-42.  The Lady Tornadoes win was early in the season and is probably an outlier, so otherwise it looks like an even matchup.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#5 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

Some other big MBB games-

Independence @ SW Guilford- Both teams have a shot of a deep run in 4A

New Hanover @ Green Hope- Another big-time 4A match-up that could help determine the East bracket 

Hickory Ridge @ Kings Mtn- Hickory Ridge hits the road but is the favorite here in my opinion. Kings Mtn is too inconsistent but this will be a battle

East Lincoln @ Lincolnton- Can Lincolnton top East Lincoln 4 times in one season? This rematch should be a good one (the last game was a 94-91 Lincolnton OT victory)

Cherokee @ West Montgomery- In the Charter and Prep driven world of 1A sports these 2 public schools have a chance to make some noise. 

#6 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

Erwin and N. Henderson have a boatload of common opponents.  Erwin was 9-2 vs their common opponents and N. Henderson was 11-2, so it looks like another close matchup.

― C.S. Lewis

#7 Patrick Maloney

Patrick Maloney

JV Team

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

Northeastern vs ayden grifftton in the 2A easy boys

#8 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

North Iredell ladies vs Hickory ladies, normally I would say even but North's point guard has the flu and was not even in the gym last night so not sure what to think for tomorrow. I do think its a shame that these two quality teams are meeting as early as the second round. But it will be fun either way and I am looking forward to it!

#9 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:57 PM

I have heard that Hickory ladies are not a very good shooting team??? North is pretty efficient on offense and very good on defense,,,is this accurate of Hickory?

#10 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

I have heard that Hickory ladies are not a very good shooting team??? North is pretty efficient on offense and very good on defense,,,is this accurate of Hickory?

I've seen them struggle, but they apparently went 5 for 7 from three in the first half the other night.

― C.S. Lewis

#11 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

WBB- Hickory v N Iredell should be great
WBB- Mooresville at Rocky River I think could be good.

MBB- Page at LKN

#12 Darkhorse2007

Darkhorse2007

Established Member

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

Clinton girls vs defending state champion North Pitt

Clinton boys vs West Bladen

Clinton Dark Horses
State Champs 90,96,97,2001,2005
Eastern Champs 76,90,95,96,97,2001,2002,2005,2006,2014

#13 TitanNation79

TitanNation79

JV Team

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

Erwin and N. Henderson have a boatload of common opponents.  Erwin was 9-2 vs their common opponents and N. Henderson was 11-2, so it looks like another close matchup.

Erwin/North Henderson could be a game in which the total score is in the 120 range with two players (Thompson-Erwin, Nelson-NH) accounting for 70-80 of that 120.

#14 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:47 PM

MBB- Richmond at Butler is sure to be fun

#15 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:20 AM

There's so many.......

Boys

Richmond at Butler        (Butler should win.  However, will they respond well to Richmond's unique style of kung-fu?)

Indy at SWG             (Classic size vs. speed matchup.  Can Indy stop (or contain) the Langley bros.?  Can SWG deal with 6-10 Justyn Hamilton?  Whoever controls the tempo takes this one.)

NW Guilford at North Meck        (Vikes vs. Vikes.  Can NW finally break their Charlotte curse?  North Meck only beat East Forsyth by two.....and NW's a much better team than EF.)

Southern Durham at Eastern Guilford    (This has the potential to be a very exciting game.  I'm predicting a track meet.  There will be some good individual talent on display). 

Smith at West Forsyth       (Smith's been playing fairly well as of late and they have the size and athleticism to deal with WF.  However, WF will probably be the best team Smith has faced all year.  If McCluney can go, I think WF will win by around 15.  If not, could get rather interesting.)

Asheboro at Triton    (Can the Comets continue their '83 Wolfpack imitation?)

Shelby at Thomasville      (I'm thinking this one will be pretty exciting.)

Randleman at North Surry     (Randleman shocked me in Round one.  Now they've got to find a way to stop (slow down)  Mason Hawks and Carter Phillips.  Not sure if they can do it.....)

#16 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:39 AM

Girls

North Pitt at Clinton         (This will be good.  Boykin vs. Langley)

NE Guilford at Jacksonville     (Dangerous game for J'ville.  NE is tall and athletic.)

RS Central at North Surry     (Also should be very good.  Both teams have quite a bit of talent)

Reagan at NW Guilford        (Vikings will need Liz Kitley back for this one.  Reagan's more than capable of ending NW's season.  There will also be two outstanding players on display:  Cayla King and Reagan's Aniyah Tucker. 

SW Randolph at Freedom      (Freedom more than likely will take this one.  However, I'm just curious to see how SWR measures up.  The Cougars are really young...about two years away.)

Forestview at Ledford         (I think this will be Ledford's toughest test in quite a while.)

Bishop McGuiness at South Davidson        (Intriguing match-up. Bishop's down......but they're still Bishop.  They'll have to face a raucous crowd though.)

#17 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:58 AM

Don't worry mom, it will all come out in the wash.  Good pitching always beats good hitting.  Lady Raiders will be fine.

#18 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:08 AM

Not a mom

#19 coachtyson93

coachtyson93

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

Two games I am watching, Thomasville and Shelby I think Shelby will take down the bulldogs. Also I think the Randleman and North Surry could be interesting.

#20 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

Don't worry mom, it will all come out in the wash.  Good pitching always beats good hitting.  Lady Raiders will be fine.

Not a mom

Sorry just an expression.  Raiders win by 10!!!!

#21 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

Hope your right!

#22 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

https://youtu.be/xEYuUX3N-VA

Fun video from the last time Page and Lake Norman squared off

#23 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

https://youtu.be/xEYuUX3N-VA

Fun video from the last time Page and Lake Norman squared off

LOL-I remember that! We played the next game and were waiting for our game to start. What a madhouse when he hit that shot!

― C.S. Lewis

#24 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

To this day I still cannot believe that shot fell. If I recall correctly I think LKN blew a big lead in that game prior to that buzzer beater

#25 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

Looking forward to seeing North Henderson and Erwin tonight. Two of the best players in the mtns on the same court with CJ Thompson and Austin Nelson going at it. Should be fun.

JeffChapman-Dynamic