Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

How good is Carrboro???

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

I see they had 5 kids place in 2A and was 1st place this past weekend 

#2 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:44 PM

They are very good. Quinton Monday is probably the 2nd best wrestler under 152lbs in the state behind Gregor of Hickory Ridge. This is a program that should continue to grow. Will they be the next Parkland? Not likely but I doubt anyone ever attains that stature. They have the momentum to be an elite eastern 2A program much like Croatan has been for a decade. One thing they have is the ability geographically to get off season experience and training that smaller markets can't get.

#3 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:19 AM

GDG, You are spot on. The out of season wrestling club circuit is the key. Go to Youtube, type in Quincy Monday and check out all the video on the young man. He's wrestled all over the country. Mat time is where it's at. When you get to the state championships that mat time will set the really good apart from the great.

#4 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

One of the former Carrboro kids is now wrestling for what has been the best college programs in a decade. His name is George Carpenter. He wrestles at Penn State. This year he wrestled the #1 and #3 ranked guys in the country as a sophomore. Not many North Carolina guys make this big a stage.

#5 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

http://poweradewrestling.com/  Now Parkland had a great run back in the day that is true best team in the Carolinas.  Would like to see the "North Carolina powerhouses" test the waters a little more 

#6 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

Devon Van Cura from Washington is on the team @ Penn State. Very good wrestler but never won a state championship. He's a back up at several weight classes. The kid has a genius IQ and I think he's on the team to keep the overall grade point average up for the team. Anyone @ Penn State is special.

#7 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:31 PM

Devon Van Cura from Washington is on the team @ Penn State. Very good wrestler but never won a state championship. He's a back up at several weight classes. The kid has a genius IQ and I think he's on the team to keep the overall grade point average up for the team. Anyone @ Penn State is special.

Another excellent wrestler. He was a couple wrestling moves from being a state champion. More outside instruction and he would have had rings. I saw him wrestle a couple times. I had no idea he was at Penn State. It's rare a Carolina kid goes to a D1 school. Recruiting the Carolinas is not on most programs priority. Even the North Carolina schools have little interest other than App State.

#8 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

Luckily the former coach @ Washington is from Pa. and wrestled for Lock Haven. He had contacts @ Penn State and helped secure a full academic scholarship for Devon and an opportunity to walk on. He made the cut and has started several time. Really good kid.

#9 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

Dang. Washington's coach wrestled at Lock Haven? That is a tremendous wrestling program. What is his philosophy on technique? Does he stick to technical basics, high risk moves, throws? Just curious as I rarely see kids in North Carolina wrestle outside of folk style.

#10 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:20 AM

He let the program three years ago and moved back to Pa. He's coaching a high school team there. He was always a low risk, grind, control from the top type of coach. He had several state champs while he was in Washington. Justin Moore (@170) and Marquin Hill (@heavyweight) both won it all in 2011 I believe. Both Moore and Hill wrestled for UNC Pembroke and they had another kid, Gabriel Garner who finished 5th / 6th @ states them same year, he wrestled for Campbell. My biggest complaint with him would be that he really focused on the stud's and left the second tier kids to fend for themselves.

#11 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:55 AM

He let the program three years ago and moved back to Pa. He's coaching a high school team there. He was always a low risk, grind, control from the top type of coach. He had several state champs while he was in Washington. Justin Moore (@170) and Marquin Hill (@heavyweight) both won it all in 2011 I believe. Both Moore and Hill wrestled for UNC Pembroke and they had another kid, Gabriel Garner who finished 5th / 6th @ states them same year, he wrestled for Campbell. My biggest complaint with him would be that he really focused on the stud's and left the second tier kids to fend for themselves.

Personally I am no fan of that coaching style. Kids have little idea what to do in situations when they meet the explosive opponent. It wins a lot of duals because of the 14 weight class team totals but leaves a lot on the table for advancement of an individual. If it was college scoring that would be great because of the points awarded for ride time.

#12 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:08 AM

Exactly ! Ride a guy hard in a close match and he gets an escape and reversal late and boom, there goes the match. The marginal guys don't do well with that game plan.

#13 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:30 PM

By the way Joe I am in favor of high schools going to college rules. Notably the penalties for hanging on for dear life. Other things like draping a standing opponent make me cringe.

#14 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

I agree. I support that 100%

#15 Bleed purple for life

Bleed purple for life

Established Member

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

One thing that gets me is When someone has a guy in a weight class but they forefit to not give up momentum in a match they know they will get beat in. or because the oposing guy is good.

#16 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

One thing that gets me is When someone has a guy in a weight class but they forefit to not give up momentum in a match they know they will get beat in. or because the oposing guy is good.

Yeah I dislike coaches ducking good opponents just to improve his wrestlers win/loss record.

#17 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

The young man will never get better if he only wrestles crème puff's. Long term a good old schooling will pay off.

#18 Bleed purple for life

Bleed purple for life

Established Member

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

I know multiple wrestlers who won some matches as a freshman and sophmore year and junior and senior year turned into a great wrestler out state champion started wrestling as a freshman and he won some matches didn't qualify his sophmore year he placed 2nd in state junior year he battled injury's and he won it this year it's embarrassing out there to lose in front of a big crowd and it makes you want to get better to lose a match and get embarrassed.

#19 redy4friday

redy4friday

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

I think if a team has a wrestler in a weight class and chooses to forfeit because of momentum or no good reason it should count for more team points than 6.

#20 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

I give Carrboro credit for going to a big time wrestling tournament like the Powerade in PA.  Many schools in NC would not touch this tournament with a ten foot pole 

#21 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

Kudos for Carrboro. Anything in PA is better than North Carolina. There is good wrestling here but the northeast is much more of a wrestling region. The best tournament in North Carolina is the Lake Norman Duals in December. Eight out of state championship teams are invited every year. Eight NC teams get an invitation as well.

Only one NC team has ever won the tournament. Newton-Conover won and went undefeated with five wins in 2014. My son wrestled three state champions in that tournament in that year. Newton beat the following consecutive championship teams- 13 time Christianburg Virginia, four time 5A Pope Georgia, two time South Carolina 3A, Pinecrest NC, and 3A three time champ Gilmore Georgia. Newton lost a close match that year to eight time champ Parkland in the Bunker Hill Duals. That match was wall to wall fans and ended at 12:50am in the morning.

#22 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

I love high school wrestling coached it a few years and congrats on your sons wrestling accomplishments 

JeffChapman-Dynamic